Morecambe 0 Gillingham 1 Live (ish!)

Re: Morecambe 0 Gillingham 1 Live (ish!)

Postby KenH » Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:36 am

vvm wrote:Shame not to take anything from that game, I really didn't think we were that bad. Just need a little bit more going forward but until we get any points on the board it's tough to predict where the first ones come from.

Just hoping that Derek might be bluffing when he says the budget is spent and there is actually some wiggle room for a couple of cheap loans. For the last few years we have always relied heavily and pushed the limits of how many we can take in, seems surprising that we only have 1 so far this season.

This year's budget is less than last year's, so I doubt there's anything left, maybe he's managed to keep something back for 1 or 2 loans if we can get them cheap? At the end of the day, he needed a full squad and that's what he's got. He couldn't afford to risk holding too much budget back and not having a full squad, just in case he couldn't get loan players, and then would be left with too small a squad and money left in the budget he can't spend. He'll have been having sleepless nights trying to make a smaller budget work and juggling what players he could afford against the budget, and throwing into the mix the risks/likelihood of being able to bring in loan players and their costs. We really don't want to end up like the last two January transfer windows where we didn't do the business during the window and had to bring in players without clubs (who mostly turned out useless!).

Really got to hope the sale goes through in the next few days so that Derek maybe gets a bit more money to splash the cash at the loan market and bring in some decent players. If not, then we've got what we've got. Saturday's starters looked pretty competent on the whole, we got a few attempts at goal, and they looked a lively, hard working and willing group - no one looked like they couldn't be bothered and most seemed to be doing what they were told, which is a massive plus! Not too sure about some of the substitutes though, bar Slew who was his usual awesome self!
KenH

Re: Morecambe 0 Gillingham 1 Live (ish!)

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:09 am

It certainly looks like Brown hasn't got a future with us, so I'm hoping for his sake, he can find another club before the transfer window closes, and he can get first team football somewhere. That, in turn, may open up some budget for a loan player to come in.

I'd like to see Fox-Akande on the bench, and getting some game time. He may be useful as the season goes on, especially if we don't get any loan players, and it is always preferable to see our own lads continuing their development.

If the window shuts without Brown moving on, then at least have him on the bench and then given a chance to show what he can do.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion