O/T OAP winter fuel payments

Re: O/T OAP winter fuel payments

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:41 am

I have re-read what you originally posted and I agree with what your saying, you personally, did not comment on the lady, so please accept my apology.

I do however think it was a good change of law to accommodate that section of our community and their religious beliefs. I would thou point out it would not be as safe as wearing an helmet.

As with anyone I may have offended with any of my posts on here I am sorry.
Billy bodger

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:52 am

Keith wrote:I'll leave you to your hatred now. Just don't over-step the mark, you are right on it now.

I haven't got one ounce of racial hatred. As I've mentioned on here before I've line managed many English speaking muslims and other non-christian religions. I treated them all the same, and indeed some, who I never line managed, used to come to me to help them as they saw me as being completely fair minded.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:51 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I merely put forward one example of how the law of the land was framed to give separate laws for immigrants to the indigenous population.

I require an apology for your slur.

No, it isn't a "separate laws for immigrants". It is a separate law for followers of a particular religion. A Sikh who is born in Britain is not an immigrant. If you converted to Sikhism, and wore a turban, then you would be exempt. "Immigrant" is irrelevant.

The suggestion was, old person's benefits will only be removed from white, English-speaking people, and not Asian women who don't speak English, which is clearly bollocks.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:05 pm

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:I merely put forward one example of how the law of the land was framed to give separate laws for immigrants to the indigenous population.

No, it isn't a "separate laws for immigrants". It is a separate law for followers of a particular religion. A Sikh who is born in Britain is not an immigrant. If you converted to Sikhism, and wore a turban, then you would be exempt. "Immigrant" is irrelevant.

The suggestion was, old person's benefits will only be removed from white, English-speaking people, and not Asian women who don't speak English, which is clearly bollocks.

Maybe I should have said separate laws for the followers of a religion that has descended from Immigrants as compared with how the law is applied to the indigenous population. A Sikh by very definition can not be a member of the indigenous population.

The saying "when in Rome do what the Romans do" is very relevant. If people come to live in another country they should obey the laws of the land as passed by the Parliament of that country. As far as crash helmets are concerned only idiots IMHO would not wear one.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:39 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:As far as crash helmets are concerned only idiots IMHO would not wear one.

Totally agree. And leathers too.

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Maybe I should have said separate laws for the followers of a religion that has descended from Immigrants as compared with how the law is applied to the indigenous population. A Sikh by very definition can not be a member of the indigenous population.

Err, you do know that Christ wasn't British, don't you? Maybe you should have said "a separate law depending upon which imaginary friend they follow, whether imported from the Middle East or from Asia"?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby John L » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:18 pm

Keith wrote:Err, you do know that Christ wasn't British, don't you?

He was when Robert Powell played him... ;)
John L

Postby Phil Anderer » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:36 pm

John L wrote:

Actually, depending on who you choose to believe (in), he was Catholic, Protestant, C of E, King of the Jews or...Muslim.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby twosheds » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:55 am

Phil Anderer wrote:
John L wrote:

Actually, depending on who you choose to believe (in), he was Catholic, Protestant, C of E, King of the Jews or...Muslim.

I thought he was just a very naughty boy...
twosheds

Postby Billy bodger » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:15 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Keith wrote:

Maybe I should have said separate laws for the followers of a religion that has descended from Immigrants as compared with how the law is applied to the indigenous population. A Sikh by very definition can not be a member of the indigenous population.

The saying "when in Rome do what the Romans do" is very relevant. If people come to live in another country they should obey the laws of the land as passed by the Parliament of that country. As far as crash helmets are concerned only idiots IMHO would not wear one.

What is an indigenous person in England? I have Irish, French, Scots, Welsh, Belgian, American and Norse blood in me, it is unusual not to have German blood in you as well if your English.

We have and always will be a Country where other peoples have come to, there will be very few people who are pure English. Scotland thou do still have a relatively higher percentage of their population that are pure Scots. Don’t get to hung up on it, the odds are most people in England are not Indigenous to this Country.
Billy bodger

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:20 pm

Billy bodger wrote:We have and always will be a Country where other peoples have come to, there will be very few people who are pure English. Scotland thou do still have a relatively higher percentage of their population that are pure Scots. Don’t get to hung up on it, the odds are most people in England are not Indigenous to this Country.

I once said in front of my dad I was Yorkshire born & bred. The ensuing TMI resulted in me finding out I was 'bred' in Scotland (Edinburgh, to be exact), when my mum & dad palmed my older brother off on the grandparents for a long weekend away. :o :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:54 pm

Billy bodger wrote:What is an indigenous person in England? I have Irish, French, Scots, Welsh, Belgian, American and Norse blood in me, it is unusual not to have German blood in you as well if your English.

We have and always will be a Country where other peoples have come to, there will be very few people who are pure English. Scotland thou do still have a relatively higher percentage of their population that are pure Scots. Don’t get to hung up on it, the odds are most people in England are not Indigenous to this Country.

Totally agree. Indigenous English/British is a bit of a nonsense term. Go back far enough in everyone's family tree and you will find none of us fit that tag.

Really folk need to accept that if you born in the UK or indeed live here and are settled with a UK passport, you are just as legitimate as anyone else.
Last edited by Wild Bill on Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Bill

Postby Crazeenick » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:21 pm

In any case we are ALL descended from people who originally lived in the African Rift Valley......
Crazeenick

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:44 pm

Crazeenick wrote:In any case we are ALL descended from people who originally lived in the African Rift Valley...

At least going back that far, they would have walked here. Anyone with Celtic, Saxon, Roman or Viking etc... blood in them, arrived in Britain... ...err... in a small boat!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:47 pm

Keith wrote:
Crazeenick wrote:In any case we are ALL descended from people who originally lived in the African Rift Valley...

At least going back that far, they would have walked here. Anyone with Celtic, Saxon, Roman or Viking etc... blood in them, arrived in Britain... ...err... in a small boat!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Crazeenick » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:08 pm

Good point Keith :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crazeenick

Postby Billy bodger » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:43 pm

I will not now be getting the winter fuel payment any more, I will have to suck up the cost along with whatever Reeves does in October as I don’t trust her to pledge paying the triple lock in full :oops:

Just for info William the Conqueror’s largest boat carried 10 knights and their equipment. (The Norman’s did have 776 boats).
A Viking long boat held about 25-30
A Roman boat 300 crew (280 oarsmen) and 40 marines (increased to 120 in battle).
A Saxon boat would carry about 40 men.
Billy bodger

Previous

Return to General Discussion