O/T OAP winter fuel payments

O/T OAP winter fuel payments

Postby redrobo » Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:53 am

The loss of the above payment seems to have created a bit of a storm and no wonder when we now learn that the new Government have awarded a £12 billion pound grant to some International Climate body which a certain Miliband is connected to.

And how can a 22% pay rise over 2 years to Doctors be ok when some are earning £96K per year.... :?: :?: :?:

By all means give Junior Doctors a decent pay rise but 22% over 2 years is questionable.

And as for the promise of reducing heating costs, it will take 5 years before GB Energy is able to bring that to fruition.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: O/T OAP winter fuel payments

Postby black morse » Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:19 am

As a recipient of Winter Fuel Allowance I have often thought that some of the payments are needed but there must be thousands like myself that will get on very nicely without it. Means testing would be the fairest way but would cost a lot in civil servants wages so the next best thing would be for those that need it to claim it.
black morse

Postby redrobo » Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:53 am

black morse wrote:As a recipient of Winter Fuel Allowance I have often thought that some of the payments are needed but there must be thousands like myself that will get on very nicely without it. Means testing would be the fairest way but would cost a lot in civil servants wages so the next best thing would be for those that need it to claim it.

Like ourselves.....BUT for those who do need it and are unable to claim for anything else it really is a kick in the teeth and could be a choice between winter heat of food starvation.

I totally agree that it would be best to mean test it but the cost to do that would be considerable.

Those who need it should claim for it OR incorporate the payment into the standard pension but then the new total may be subject to tax.......

I suspect that there will be a lot of criticism about this subject and may result in a rethink on the part of the new Iron Lady Chancellor.....her who shows no emotion and is so robotic..... :(
redrobo

Postby Billy bodger » Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:38 pm

I would have liked the following because the fresh-hold has been set so low.
For single people with an income under £15,000 = £300
£15-20,000 = £200
£20-£25,000 = £100

Joint income as following
For a couple under £25,000 =£300
£25-30,000 = £200
£30-£35,000 =£100

I would encourage anyone on low income to apply for benefits they believe they should be receipreents.
Billy bodger

Postby Relapsed_Shrimp » Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:18 pm

Means testing is the only way. Pensioners seem to believe they are all entitled to things just because they've lived a certain length of time.

Bold move from labour, will be a few more so they don't have to raise income tax (like they said they would but then said they wouldn't to look good in the latter stages of debate pre election) to try and stay popular.

Pensioners are far too protected. We should be looking at the opposite age bracket to ensure we educate, nurture and look after those people to make sure they won't be reliant on payments to turn on the heating when they are older.
Relapsed_Shrimp

Postby Catte » Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:10 am

Wow relapsed Shrimp is that really your opinion?

Pensioners in general the most taxed generation in history at the moment, they are often left literally out in the cold. Most have worked their entire lives contributing to the economy, many have due to lack of support had to be carers for their partners many women have had their retirement age moved upwards and losing out on their pension entitlement. Female pensioners who have cared for their partners (saving the NHS thousands of pounds in doing so) now find themselves approaching a period of an every lengthening cold stretch where they will need to choose between heating or eating. Yes pampered.

This and previous Government see them as a burden and sitting on housing stock.
I am not a pensioner and have made sacrifices to ensure should I become one I will not need to rely on this ludicrous state pension.
Millions will now miss out on the allowance by perhaps pennies because of the way this lady has taken a simplistic view on where to snatch back money so they can help their mates.

This will cost the NHS at least as much as it saves, with oldies queueing for a bed that does not hit due to extreme cold or lack of nutrition, but yes we pamper those who have contributed.
Catte

Postby redrobo » Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:23 pm

Relapsed_Shrimp wrote:Means testing is the only way. Pensioners seem to believe they are all entitled to things just because they've lived a certain length of time.

Bold move from labour, will be a few more so they don't have to raise income tax (like they said they would but then said they wouldn't to look good in the latter stages of debate pre election) to try and stay popular.

Pensioners are far too protected. We should be looking at the opposite age bracket to ensure we educate, nurture and look after those people to make sure they won't be reliant on payments to turn on the heating when they are older.

Maybe when you are pensionable age (assuming that by then a pension from the State is still available) you'll have a different view of things rather than the utter nonsense you spout at the moment

Pensioners get a very bad raw deal. We can't strike..... the cold weather affects us more than others....social care is almost non existent....costs for care home living is extortionate....and for many loneliness after the death of a partner is a real killer.

The removal of the cold weather payment is a cheap and cynical way to reduce government spending by this Iron Lady of a Chancellor who is devoid of any character or emotion.....a Thatcher Mark 2 without doubt.....

What with her and the Deputy Leader who will impose restrictions and diktats on society we are very close to being governed by a dictatorship where the right of free speech is predicted to be censored.

:( :( :(
redrobo

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:51 pm

Hey Relapsed Shrimp.....I suppose something had to be done to finance the Junior Doctors massive pay rise. Well, it won't be long before the same Junior Doctors will be treating lots of pensioners who can't afford to keep themselves warm in the long UK Winter.

And please don't tell me that Junior Doctors don't receive a good salary and NHS benefits to boot.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:17 pm

Covid furlough cost 70B by the end of Sept 2021. Payments for fuel bills ended end of March 2023 cost 12B, Ukraine war, British support, on going 4.7B to date. Rwanda scheme cost 0.5B when just ended.Total 87.2B paid out. PPE, who knows the real cost?? Miss sourced unsuitable PPE bought in first year of Covid 4.4B.

So since 2020 the Government coffers raised by approx £900B+ year on year. That’s £3,600B+ in the last four years.

Therefore in the last 4 yrs the government has spent what it has to spend, plus £87.2 spent on things that were not envisaged and the Labour Government has announced a £22B black hole!! Is that really bad when you consider the cost of Furlough alone (70B). The previous government with the tax rises they made clawed back £48B on that in 3yrs. Otherwise the Black hole would have been 70B+

So was taking £300 off pensioners on pensions under £15,000 pension income really necessary??
Is it the New Poll Tax scandal?

Well, if I tell you the UK poverty line in the UK is £15,808. Anyone on over £11,330 (£4,000+under UK’s poverty line), will lose their winter fuel allowance SHAMEFUL.

I think the threshold should have been £20,000 before you lose the £300 winter fuel payment scaled down to when you reach £30,000.
Billy bodger

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:20 pm

Free Prescriptions next!!!
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:33 pm

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:And please don't tell me that Junior Doctors don't receive a good salary and NHS benefits to boot.

Junior Doctors' starting salary is £32,398 ('FY1' on 2016 contracts) for 40 hour week. That's £15.58 per hour. Not bad for six years training.

Lidl starting rate (including 16-year-olds) £12.40 per hour (£13.65 in London).

Not sure what "benefits" you think the NHS offers Junior Doctors? Not even free car parking. But at Lidl, staff get a 10% staff discount.

That's why the NHS is in such a mess. You Tories believe a Junior Doctor is worth £77.20 a week more than a 16-year-old working on a till in a supermarket.

https://www.bma.org.uk/pay-and-contract ... in-england

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/pay/how-pay ... 12.article
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:14 pm

Billy bodger wrote:Free Prescriptions next!!!

Why not.....Concessionary bus passes too, or at least modify them. There's plenty for Liebour to concentrate on.

On the Bus Pass theme......and this is perfectly true. I was at Preston Bus Station a couple of weeks ago on my way to Longridge to watch the Shrimps. I got on the bus and sat on the closest seat opposite the driver. An Asian (probably Indian) lady dressed traditionally, asked for a destination in her native language. She really was clueless, especially her English, she couldn't speak a word! Anyway she paid for her ticket with an Older Person's Concessionary Pass. So if Concessionary Bus Passes are targeted by the Liebour Chancellor I wonder if this lady will be affected.....I doubt it.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:25 pm

Keith wrote:
Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:And please don't tell me that Junior Doctors don't receive a good salary and NHS benefits to boot.

Junior Doctors' starting salary is £32,398 ('FY1' on 2016 contracts) for 40 hour week. That's £15.58 per hour. Not bad for six years training.

Lidl starting rate (including 16-year-olds) £12.40 per hour (£13.65 in London).

Not sure what "benefits" you think the NHS offers Junior Doctors? Not even free car parking. But at Lidl, staff get a 10% staff discount.

That's why the NHS is in such a mess. You Tories believe a Junior Doctor is worth £77.20 a week more than a 16-year-old working on a till in a supermarket.

https://www.bma.org.uk/pay-and-contract ... in-england

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/pay/how-pay ... 12.article

Do Junior Doctors get salary increments in addition to % annual rises?

Do Junior Doctors, if they are good enough become Consultants, and receive very healthy salary increases?

What about their Pensions, are they attractive? Are the people who started at Lidl at the same time likely to be in receipt of such generous benefits.

While I accept what you say as being the truth, it's only a version of the truth and not the whole truth. But If I've got it wrong, I'm eager to learn, so back over to you Keith.
Last edited by Scouseport_Shrimp on Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:31 pm

Scouceport Shrimp, the only issue is, was the lady entitled to the bus pass and if she was then that’s ok.
Billy bodger

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:41 pm

Billy bodger wrote:Scouceport Shrimp, the only issue is, was the lady entitled to the bus pass and if she was then that’s ok.

Obviously she was entitled, as I'm sure her application, which someone had probably written on her behalf, was all in order. My point is that if Liebour attack Concessionary Bus Passes, will the lady in question be hit......I doubt it.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:04 pm

Why doubt it? I don’t understand your rhetoric!! If they take away the Concessionary Bus Pass for pensioners they take it away, end of.

Other Concessionary fares in Lancashire are for Blind people, profound or servilely Deaf people, People with out speech, Learning Disabilities, Walking Disability ,Loss of use of both arms, People who have been or would be refused a driving licence.

All these categories I would argue are people who need Concessionary Bus Passes. If she qualified under one of these categories you and I don’t know but would have been vetted, so why speculate.
Billy bodger

Postby Relapsed_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:10 pm

Catte wrote:Wow relapsed Shrimp is that really your opinion?

Pensioners in general the most taxed generation in history at the moment, they are often left literally out in the cold. Most have worked their entire lives contributing to the economy, many have due to lack of support had to be carers for their partners many women have had their retirement age moved upwards and losing out on their pension entitlement. Female pensioners who have cared for their partners (saving the NHS thousands of pounds in doing so) now find themselves approaching a period of an every lengthening cold stretch where they will need to choose between heating or eating. Yes pampered.

This and previous Government see them as a burden and sitting on housing stock.
I am not a pensioner and have made sacrifices to ensure should I become one I will not need to rely on this ludicrous state pension.
Millions will now miss out on the allowance by perhaps pennies because of the way this lady has taken a simplistic view on where to snatch back money so they can help their mates.

This will cost the NHS at least as much as it saves, with oldies queueing for a bed that does not hit due to extreme cold or lack of nutrition, but yes we pamper those who have contributed.

While I understand your perspective and recognise the contributions and hardships faced by pensioners, I believe the current level of support is unsustainable and there are bigger worries in our country. The reality is that resources are finite, and continuously increasing support for pensioners without addressing the economic implications can lead to significant financial strain on the working population and the broader economy. To be clear, I support the WFP but as a means tested benefit - like all other things are. Take DLA for example. Parents for children who have clear and complex needs have to submit and prove they need support, the form is inches thick. It's means tested. So should all benefits.

The focus should be on creating a more balanced approach that ensures fair support across all age groups, rather than disproportionately prioritising one demographic at the expense of others. Encouraging self-reliance and personal financial planning for retirement can also reduce the dependency on state pensions and ensure a more sustainable system for future generations.

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:Hey Relapsed Shrimp.....I suppose something had to be done to finance the Junior Doctors massive pay rise. Well, it won't be long before the same Junior Doctors will be treating lots of pensioners who can't afford to keep themselves warm in the long UK Winter.

And please don't tell me that Junior Doctors don't receive a good salary and NHS benefits to boot.

What are you talking about? That must be the Scouse part coming out. If you believe they are fairly paid (equivalent to a typical supermarket worker on 40 hours a week) then perhaps you need the fuel payment to pay for some.common sense rather than flicking on the gas fire!
redrobo wrote:
Relapsed_Shrimp wrote:Means testing is the only way. Pensioners seem to believe they are all entitled to things just because they've lived a certain length of time.

Maybe when you are pensionable age (assuming that by then a pension from the State is still available) you'll have a different view of things rather than the utter nonsense you spout at the moment

Pensioners get a very bad raw deal. We can't strike..... the cold weather affects us more than others....social care is almost non existent....costs for care home living is extortionate....and for many loneliness after the death of a partner is a real killer.

The removal of the cold weather payment is a cheap and cynical way to reduce government spending by this Iron Lady of a Chancellor who is devoid of any character or emotion.....a Thatcher Mark 2 without doubt.....

What with her and the Deputy Leader who will impose restrictions and diktats on society we are very close to being governed by a dictatorship where the right of free speech is predicted to be censored.

:( :( :(

understand your concerns and empathize with the challenges faced by pensioners. However, I must respectfully disagree with some of your points. While it's true that pensioners face unique difficulties, it's not accurate to say they receive a "very bad raw deal." Various support mechanisms and policies are in place to assist them, even though there is always room for improvement.

As for the removal of the cold weather payment, it's important to consider the broader context of government spending and policy priorities. Criticism is valid, but attributing such decisions to personal characteristics of policymakers can be counterproductive.

Lastly, the claim about an impending dictatorship seems exaggerated. Free speech remains a fundamental right in our society, and while political decisions can be contentious, labeling them as steps towards dictatorship doesn't contribute to constructive dialogue.

I encourage a more balanced view and constructive discussion on these issues.
Relapsed_Shrimp

Postby Relapsed_Shrimp » Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:13 pm

Billy bodger wrote:Why doubt it? I don’t understand your rhetoric!! If they take away the Concessionary Bus Pass for pensioners they take it away, end of.

Other Concessionary fares in Lancashire are for Blind people, profound or servilely Deaf people, People with out speech, Learning Disabilities, Walking Disability ,Loss of use of both arms, People who have been or would be refused a driving licence.

All these categories I would argue are people who need Concessionary Bus Passes. If she qualified under one of these categories you and I don’t know but would have been vetted, so why speculate.

If she couldn't ask for her destination in English she shouldn't get a bus pass. That should be part of the application criteria. She'll probably get the fuel payment still, too!
Relapsed_Shrimp

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:14 pm

I don’t think she would be disqualified for having a bus pass if her English is poor, no matter what.

If she passes the criteria, she passes it, in what ever way it is that means she is issued with one.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and if you feel strongly enough that not having a good standard of English should bar you from having a Concessionary Bus Pass maybe you could lobby that it does.
Billy bodger

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:19 pm

Thanks to the Tories, whose vote is heavily dependent on pensioners (and I'll join them soon enough), we have the 'triple lock', which means that for several years (someone else can tell you how long) pensioners have been cushioned against inflation, recession etc, whilst workers, the poor and the unemployed, have been left at the mercy of market conditions. I'm not saying pensioners are wealthy by any means, but they have received the kind of protection not afforded to the rest. And rising pension ages are the only way to protect the state pension till the obesity crisis starts to bring down life expectancy.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:39 am

Loagans run anybody? :o Dictatorship,7 labour mps voted against a government policy all got suspended for 6 months!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:23 am

Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:Obviously she was entitled, as I'm sure her application, which someone had probably written on her behalf, was all in order. My point is that if Liebour attack Concessionary Bus Passes, will the lady in question be
hit......I doubt it.

You are not even attempting to hide your racism. Sure, Labour are going to stop white, English people from having a bus pass, but leave Indian women, who can't speak English, with them. Did you enjoy your riot?

Meanwhile, Southport's Katie Hopkins thinks it is okay to pay NHS doctors the same as Lidl shop workers, because they will make more money later in their career. I answered the question you asked, and provided links to evidence my claims.

I'll leave you to your hatred now. Just don't over-step the mark, you are right on it now.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:02 am

Keith wrote:
Scouseport_Shrimp wrote:Obviously she was entitled, as I'm sure her application, which someone had probably written on her behalf, was all in order. My point is that if Liebour attack Concessionary Bus Passes, will the lady in question be
hit......I doubt it.

You are not even attempting to hide your racism. Sure, Labour are going to stop white, English people from having a bus pass, but leave Indian women, who can't speak English, with them. Did you enjoy your riot?

Meanwhile, Southport's Katie Hopkins thinks it is okay to pay NHS doctors the same as Lidl shop workers, because they will make more money later in their career. I answered the question you asked, and provided links to evidence my claims.

I'll leave you to your hatred now. Just don't over-step the mark, you are right on it now.

The UK does have separate laws that favour immigrants and it isn't racist to comment upon it.

When the law came in about motor cyclists having to wear crash helmets on public roads one group protested and the law was amended and made legal that they were exempt from having to wear a crash helmet. That group all wore turbans and they argued that they couldn't wear a crash helmet over a turban.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:44 am

In the end neither Scouseport Shrimp and Gone Shrimping, know how the lady qualified, no more than me, but you cannot in all seriousness believe not having a grasp of the English language should bar her from having a Concessionary Bus Pass. It says a lot more about you two and your mind set than it does about the lady.
Billy bodger

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:19 am

Billy bodger wrote:In the end neither Scouseport Shrimp and Gone Shrimping, know how the lady qualified, no more than me, but you cannot in all seriousness believe not having a grasp of the English language should bar her from having a Concessionary Bus Pass. It says a lot more about you two and your mind set than it does about the lady.

I never passed any comment about knowledge on how the lady qualified.

I merely put forward one example of how the law of the land was framed to give separate laws for immigrants to the indigenous population.

I require an apology for your slur.
Gone_Shrimping

Next

Return to General Discussion