O/T Insulation Scam

O/T Insulation Scam

Postby Phil Anderer » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:38 pm

Don't normally bother people with these things, but this is the second time recently I've had a phone call, only this time I got a real person on the line rather than a pre-recorded message, so I was able to get more detail of the scam they are perpetrating. They are calling people to offer a free survey of loft insulation, then they'll come along and charge you to remove fibreglass quilt from the floor of the loft and replace it with spray foam on the underside of the roof, claiming it's 'more eco-friendly and better for the property'. DO NOT GO FOR IT! The first issue is that, with the insulation on the underside of the slope of the roof rather than on the floor of the loft, you will then be heating the loft space as well as the rooms below, costing you more on your heating bills. The second is that the spray foam prevents ventilation of the roof structure, which is essential for the health of the timber, potentially leading to rot. The third is that, by hiding the underside of the roof, if there is a leak or a failure of some kind, it is virtually impossible to spot it before it's way too late, and a minor repair turns into a comprehensive roof renewal.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Re: O/T Insulation Scam

Postby redrobo » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:45 pm

Had the same phone calls. Must be our postcode that scammers know is mainly elderly folk that attracts these fraudsters.
redrobo

Postby CityShrimp » Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:05 pm

Can make your house unmortgageable. Avoid.
CityShrimp

Postby scalehallshrimp » Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:04 pm

When house put up for sale surveyor will pick this up ,no saie,previous chap is right completely unmortgeable ergo unsaleable
scalehallshrimp

Return to General Discussion