Retained list announced

Re: Retained list announced

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:36 pm

al1 wrote:On the official EFL website there is a list of released players and a list of retained players for all 3 divisions,some interesting stuff there including Newport releasing Aaron Wildig.It also says J Hiwula is on a monthly contract for us! I am sure Derek will sort that out,Hiwula is about the worst player ever to pull on a Shrimps shirt,just saying!

If you think Hiwula is the worst to ever pull on a Shrimps shirt you can never have seen Alan Morgan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby al1 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:30 pm

Unfortunately I did see Morgan play.I also remember a certain Steve Parry who was just as bad!
al1

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:59 am

Laurie Walsh?
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby al1 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:36 am

Ha ha,at least he tried hard! a fair centre half but can't remember who was manager at the time but kept playing him at centre forward :oops:
al1

Postby John L » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:08 pm

al1 wrote:On the official EFL website there is a list of released players and a list of retained players for all 3 divisions,some interesting stuff there including Newport releasing Aaron Wildig

Aaron has signed for another season...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cjkkd60g6vko

Edit: This, the day after they sacked manager Graham Coughlan!
John L

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:10 pm

Jacob Davenport has signed for Derry City.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:24 am

Quite a few of last seasons players who were not retained or turned offers down don't seem to have found new clubs yet.

They are

Donald Love
Adam Smith (G.K.)
Chris Stokes
Max Melbourne
Jake Taylor
Brendan Barker
Cammy Smith
Jordy Hiwula

My first impressions are that the players Derek has signed to replace these players are in most cases very much an upgrade and with the possible exception of Love I wouldn't want us to attempt to re-sign any of them.

Ray and Stott are certainly good signings and Hallam Hope is a much better signing than Jordy Hiwula , who can forget Hiwula's miss that would have won us the match at the Mazuma against I think it was Stockport.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:49 am

For me the only 2 who I would welcome back are Taylor and certainly Stokes.

As for the rest including Love .....no thank you... :?: :?: :?:

Brandon Barker I understand is on trial at some club in Europe. Had he not had an injury I think he could have been an asset for us last season as there is certainly a gifted player in him.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:27 am

Interesting that Tudonda was one of 4 players who declined an offer that was made to them but has since signed a new contract. Maybe the grass isn't always greener and all that !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby al1 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:53 am

Unfortunate that Jake was out injured most of the time!
al1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:11 pm

al1 wrote:Unfortunate that Jake was out injured most of the time!

Yes , Jake is a good player but in 2 years we didn't get many games out of him and with our budget that is not good.

I think Stokes also had a stretch on the treatment table and at 33 isn't going to get over injuries as fast as a younger player.

Donald Love had a really long spell out injured and that makes it a bit galling that he received about 6 months wages when he was injured and then declined our contract offer.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby vvm » Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:15 pm

I got the impression Love might have been one of the higher earners so whilst we originally may have offered him a new contract, maybe Derek felt the funds could be better used elsewhere.

Adam Smith, no surprises there.

Chris Stokes and Max Melbourne, I didn't mind them, they had decent moments for us but were nothing special and agree that, on paper at least, we've signed upgrades on these.

Taylor I liked. Believe we may have even paid a fee for him but with his injury record we probably can't risk a spot in what will likely be a small squad on a player who can't stay fit. That being said, I'd still be happy to have him back.

Agree that Barker may have been useful but we never had the chance to see it so no great loss.

Cammy Smith didn't get much of a chance which maybe suggests he wasn't showing much in training.

Jordy Hiwula. The less said, the better.
vvm

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Stokes and Love did OK for us but suspect there are better value replacements out there in the market.
Wild Bill

Postby Billy bodger » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:57 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Stokes and Love did OK for us but suspect there are better value replacements out there in the market.

We tried to get Love but he was wanting to much!! If that’s now dead in the water I don’t know but I believe they have not found new clubs as far as I’ve heard, so who knows. Better getting a wage than not, though they have some time yet to find another Club.
Billy bodger

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:14 pm

Love was by far our highest earner and we never got ours moneys worth that’s for sure so surprised Derek wanted him back. Any new offer would be on a far reduced wage because this year we don’t have the luxury of parachute payments from League 1 so our wage structure will be the lowest or close too the lowest in league 2. It was the same for Bedaux who was our 2nd highest and has probably matched or increased his wages with his move so well done him. Love (imo) won’t find a position with the wages he WAS on with us due to his injury time out, he will need to earn the respect back imo.
Taylor is a sad one, so much potential but so injury prone since he came to us from Wrexham and the last player I remember us paying a fee for altho eventually it had to be agreed by a compensation panel if memory serves me right
nobbyshrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:34 pm

nobbyshrimp wrote:Love was by far our highest earner and we never got ours moneys worth that’s for sure so surprised Derek wanted him back. Any new offer would be on a far reduced wage because this year we don’t have the luxury of parachute payments from League 1 so our wage structure will be the lowest or close too the lowest in league 2. It was the same for Bedaux who was our 2nd highest and has probably matched or increased his wages with his move so well done him. Love (imo) won’t find a position with the wages he WAS on with us due to his injury time out, he will need to earn the respect back imo.
Taylor is a sad one, so much potential but so injury prone since he came to us from Wrexham and the last player I remember us paying a fee for altho eventually it had to be agreed by a compensation panel if memory serves me right

Jake signed for us on 8 July 2022 from Port Vale for I believe a modest fee.
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:45 pm

Think Jake will struggle to get a new club due to lots of injuries
Redalert1970

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:18 pm

Quite correct, showing my age now as just been thinking about it & im on about someone completely different with respect Wrexham and it was bloody years ago :oops: where has that time gone? Can’t remember who now

Got it
Fleming

And now I think about it further I think the board recommended we didn’t have to pay a fee for him and Wrexham really were not happy bunnies at the time
nobbyshrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:33 pm

nobbyshrimp wrote:Quite correct, showing my age now as just been thinking about it & im on about someone completely different with respect Wrexham and it was bloody years ago :oops: where has that time gone? Can’t remember who now

Got it
Fleming

And now I think about it further I think the board recommended we didn’t have to pay a fee for him and Wrexham really were not happy bunnies at the time

We sold a rather duff striker to Wrexham I remember.

Was it Jason Oswell or something similar ?

We paid a fee for him too , can't remember where we signed him from.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:38 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
nobbyshrimp wrote:Quite correct, showing my age now as just been thinking about it & im on about someone completely different with respect Wrexham and it was bloody years ago :oops: where has that time gone? Can’t remember who now

Got it
Fleming

Had an amazing season scoring 25 for Stockport, then managed to get 1 for us :?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:07 pm

Love's a good player but given he would have been such a big earner, I think at this level we're better off spreading that bit of budget across the squad. We're also now full at RB and CM/DM, so no way we'll be offering him a contract at this point.

Stokes did ok but I'm not desperate to have him back, and we're full at CB currently with a strong starting pair. He won't be coming back unless there's a departure (Harrack), but even then I'd be surprised.

Looking at our squad, the only place we really need players is in attacking positions. Cammy Smith and Hiwula clearly not up to it, and I can't see Barker being of interest to Derek given he's got such a horrendous injury record.

Jake Taylor is the only maybe in there - cracking player and we need some attacking talent (although I do prefer him a bit deeper), but just can't really see us re-signing given we'd be lucky to 15-20 starts out of him.
Little Shrimp

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Got it
Fleming

Ahhhh Jason Oswell. Came to us from part time Stockport county where he was scoring for fun and as he wanted to try his luck in the league and to see if he was up to full time professional football. He wasn’t :lol: He did however have a plan B as he was a qualified Physiotherapist and taking a degree at Uni at that time. We sold him on to Wrexham where he continued his poor scoring record who let him go for nothing
nobbyshrimp

Postby CityShrimp » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:56 am

I’m always surprised when people refer to Love having been one of our highest earners. I can’t understand why he would have justified a high salary :?
CityShrimp

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:29 am

Because like almost everything in life nowadays (and not appropriate sometimes imo) all footballers wages are readily available to view by anyone who wants to know. You would be very surprised how much some earn but equally how little some others earn. There never seems to be any reasoning to it all but there obviously is somehow. I not naming anyone one individual because it’s not fare but 1 player was earning last season almost a fifth of another & a youngster on his first professional contract is on a pittance more often than not
nobbyshrimp

Postby vvm » Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:15 am

CityShrimp wrote:I’m always surprised when people refer to Love having been one of our highest earners. I can’t understand why he would have justified a high salary :?

Honestly it might have just been Chinese whispers, maybe there was some truth in it but we don't really have any way of knowing who earned what. Even those websites that claim to tell you the exact salary of every player in a team are, at best, a guess.

Love was previously at Man Utd and Sunderland in the premier league and Derek made him captain which might have suggested he viewed him as his star man. Only reasons I can think he might have demanded a higher wage.
vvm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion