O/T Some travel questions.

O/T Some travel questions.

Postby Morecamber » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Ok if everything goes according to plan me and a friend plan to travel to Thorpe Park in London next month.

The train leaves at 5:30am at Lancaster train station according to the internet, i'm guessing the station will be open?

As both off us are living in Bare what's the easiest way getting there in the middle off the night? (Can't drive)

Right, on the way back we would get in to Preston at 11:30 but the next train to Lancaster is 5:30 am the next morning. So how should we get back from Preston at 11:30 at night?
How much would a taxi cost to Bare does anyone know if we have to take a taxi???

Cheers everyone.
Morecamber

Re: O/T Some travel questions.

Postby Paul Mac » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:46 pm

You wouldn't get a pear from an apple tree!

Oh sorry-wrong puzzle.
Beidh ár lá linn
Paul Mac

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 pm

On your return journey, try coming back an hour later if you can as the last train to Lancaster from Preston is about 10.45 if memory serves, although obviously check this
Harry

Postby John L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Morecamber wrote:Ok if everything goes according to plan me and a friend plan to travel to Thorpe Park in London next month.

The train leaves at 5:30am at Lancaster train station according to the internet, i'm guessing the station will be open?

Of course it'll be open! What would be the point of running the train if people couldn't get on it? :roll:

Morecamber wrote:As both off us are living in Bare what's the easiest way getting there in the middle off the night? (Can't drive)

Taxi, costs around a fiver.

Morecamber wrote:Right, on the way back we would get in to Preston at 11:30 but the next train to Lancaster is 5:30 am the next morning. So how should we get back from Preston at 11:30 at night?
How much would a taxi cost to Bare does anyone know if we have to take a taxi???

The last train from Euston to Lancaster leaves at 19:46, arriving in Lancaster at 22:37 and there is a connection to Bare Lane at 22:57. If you're travelling on the following train which terminates in Preston at around half-eleven, then you'll find that the only way of getting home would be to fork out for a taxi (around £40-£50 at a guess) as there are no trains or buses that late.
John L

Postby Morecamber » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Would are best bet be to get to seperate tickets?

One Lancaster to Euston return.

And another Euston to Staines?
Morecamber

Postby Morecamber » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm guessing this a stupid question but.

30 minutes inbetween the Lancaster to Euston and Euston to Staines.

Will we have enough time to get the right place or is London Euston very big and easy to get lost in?
Morecamber

Postby ichbeineinbarelaner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:19 pm

dude euston is a maze :D you have to catch underground which is at front of station, not sure where to staines in middlesex :?: so would say waterloo check national rail but come back on 1946 or it will cost you 50 quid in taxi from preston unless john is driving then you will be ok for thefirst one in morning of preston :lol:
ichbeineinbarelaner

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Getting there, I think you've got some good answers.

Getting back, the barrow train is the last one out of preston around 1045 and it goes to barrow via bare lane and morecambe, in then back out again.

With tickets, you could save money getting seperate tickets. However, having a ticket to your final destination means if there's any problems, the train company are responsible for getting you there and often use taxis if nothing else is possible. With seperates, you also have to make sure the train stops at whatever station your ticket states e.g. don't save money getting a lancaster-warrington ticket then warrington-london ticket if the london train you use doesn't stop at warrington - you'd have to buy new full price ticket.

Finally, buy now while there might still be some savers around. Don't think 1st class is too expensive, check the prices. My last trip to london I got 1st class for £56, 2nd class was £68. Also check single prices as well as return. I use www.nationalrail.co.uk, good for most things to do with trains & stations.
Phoenix

Postby John L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Phoenix wrote:Getting there, I think you've got some good answers.

Getting back, the barrow train is the last one out of preston around 1045 and it goes to barrow via bare lane and morecambe, in then back out again.

Not any more, Brian. There is a separate train from Lancaster which runs via Morecambe to Barrow, after the main Manchester/Preston to Barrow train has passed. ;)
John L

Postby John L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:17 pm

ichbeineinbarelaner wrote:dude euston is a maze :D you have to catch underground which is at front of station, not sure where to staines in middlesex :?: so would say waterloo check national rail but come back on 1946 or it will cost you 50 quid in taxi from preston unless john is driving then you will be ok for thefirst one in morning of preston :lol:

Ah, Rob, there you are! :lol:

The 19:46 only runs late when I'm driving if anyone gets in my way on a Friday night! ;)
John L

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:24 pm

Not any more, Brian. There is a separate train from Lancaster which runs via Morecambe to Barrow, after the main Manchester/Preston to Barrow train has passed.

According to the timetable, preston d2234, lancaster a2249. Next train Lancaster d2257 Morecambe a2306 and then carries on to Barrow about 15mins behind the other one.

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/pdfs/Timetab ... cots_web(2).pdf

Wonder what days of the week they're travelling? Makes a difference.
Phoenix

Postby ichbeineinbarelaner » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm

or its dark johhny remember i ve followed you from euston before now had to change my plans for evening :lol:
ichbeineinbarelaner

Postby John L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:46 pm

:roll:

:lol:
John L

Postby Morecamber » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Decided to cancel the trip for a year. This is because next year we will both be 16 and finished school and both have good payed jobs and will be able to stay over in a hotel rather than doing it in a day.

Also i'm skint at the moment and looking for a part time summer job. (Hint, Hint ;))
Morecamber

Return to General Discussion