Pushbike or motorbike?

Either way, it will be a bit chilly! :D

Both, and it is never too chilly to take the Triumph for a spin :D
Catte

Re: O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Catte wrote:Both, and it is never too chilly to take the Triumph for a spin :D

I've got a Triumph Daytona 675. It is a work of art! :D
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby captain sparkle » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm

Triumph Rocket 2300cc, took it to Hoghton Tower sprint earlier this year & burnt the clutch out! :lol:
Fixed it in time for Ramsey Sprint tho'!
Been hill climbing my old Triton(half a Triumph!) this past couple of years, won a trophy at Leighton Hall this Summer for "fastest pre 1960 machine" & apparently, I now hold the lap record for pre 1960 machines at 3 Sisters Twisty Sprint course! :o :D
I'm only boasting 'cos I'm a newcomer to competitive motorsport, started at 58 I'm now 62 !!(we missed a couple of years events due to Covid)
Unfortunately it takes money & I haven't been paying The Shrimps the attention I should have!

This O/T topic's gone a bit off topic!!
I'll blame Keith!
Last edited by captain sparkle on Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Catte » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:16 am

Keith wrote:
Catte wrote:Both, and it is never too chilly to take the Triumph for a spin :D

I've got a Triumph Daytona 675. It is a work of art! :D

Stunning, used to have a Triumph Trophy until a couple of years ago, racked up the miles on that just over 50k when I part exchanged it for the Triumph Bonneville cruiser I am running at the moment.
Did the NC500 on the Trophy, really only got rid as my left knee does not bend well for long.
The NC500 is a stunning ride we took 6 days to do this but the views and people you meet are top drawer, planning to do it again in the Car next year and then the Triumph.

Have a garage full of projects, one I aim to finish in the new year, and have promised my lady I will sell when it is complete.
Catte

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:33 am

captain sparkle wrote:Fixed it in time for Ramsey Sprint tho'!

This O/T topic's gone a bit off topic!!
I'll blame Keith!

N'ah, it was Catte's fault for mentioning bikes! :D It's in a much nicer 'O/T' direction now, so 'thanks' rather than 'blame' required! You should have told me you were entering the Sprint, I'd have come down to watch.

Catte wrote:Did the NC500 on the Trophy, really only got rid as my left knee does not bend well for long.
The NC500 is a stunning ride we took 6 days to do this but the views and people you meet are top drawer, planning to do it again in the Car next year and then the Triumph.

My Triumph hasn't moved since pre-May 2013, when I acquired a disability, and swapped a motorbike for a wheelchair. I now drive a car using hand controls. When I sent my licence off to be amended, I was surprised that it came back with 'motorbike' still on it, so technically, I can still ride a bike. I'd fall over when I came to a halt, but still... Most things post-disability, I just got on with, but walking the dogs on the beach and riding the bike were the two difficult things to come to terms with. I had a half-hearted attempt to sell the bike, but it didn't go, so now, when we move house, I'll get a paddock stand and keep it to look at. I have a licence, I have a bike, I'm still a biker! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: By coincidence, my 4x4 at the time was an automatic Land Rover Discovery. Only automatics can be adapted for hand controls. If it had been a manual, I doubt I'd ever have got another off-roader, but because I had to adapt it anyway (my every day car was a manual, so I never drove it again), I returned to off-roading straight away. If you've never done it, I have had more of an adrenaline rush at 5mph off-road, than 130mph on a bike!

Marky No1 may recall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUwImM0VQ4
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Catte » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:54 pm

Happy to take the "Blame"

True - Once a Biker always a Brother Biker.

Blimey green lanes. Every knock and bang would drive me insane, done a little bit of Off roading and guess it is similar as super addictive.
Catte

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:32 am

Conveniently Prince William has a diary clash , looks like he agrees with you Keith
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:57 pm

I think as a compromise, Keith should keep this World Cup thread open and we can mix in motorbike talk too ;)
Wild Bill

Postby Potted Shrimp » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Wild Bill wrote:I think as a compromise, Keith should keep this World Cup thread open and we can mix in motorbike talk too ;)

I think that would be ideal as it was starting to get a very embarrassing for him!!!
Potted Shrimp

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:01 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:I think as a compromise, Keith should keep this World Cup thread open and we can mix in motorbike talk too ;)

I think that would be ideal as it was starting to get a very embarrassing for him!!!

Says the guy who repeatedly failed to condemn misogyny, racism & homophobia? Hmm... You should get a motorbike, it'll help you to be a better person.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:46 am

Keith wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:

Says the guy who repeatedly failed to condemn misogyny, racism & homophobia? Hmm... You should get a motorbike, it'll help you to be a better person.

Firstly I want to address the fact you have assumed I am a 'guy' which I find deeply sexist, especially from someone who is boycotting the World Cup on LGBT issues - I find this personally deeply offensive.

Secondly I should never have been expected to condemn anything on this forum, and nobody who choses to watch the world cup should do. All I have done is simply highlight your hypocrisy without any personal attack.

On a third count the fact that you think that you phrased that I need to 'be a better person.' Now this is most certainly personal - I have most definitely refrained from personal attack (despite being tempted!)

Keith read this, and read it clearly.....

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO TELL ME ON A PUBLIC FORUM THAT I MUST BECOME A BETTER PERSON. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, OR THE STRUGGLES THAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IN RECENT YEARS - WHICH MARK MY WORDS HAVEB BEEN TOUGH.

I COULD'NT CARE LESS IF YOU OWN THE FORUM OR NOT, I HAVE FIND YOUR POSTS AND COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD OF LATE TO HAVE BEEN EGOTISICAL, NARROW MINDED AND DEEPLY PERSONAL. DON'T YOU DARE EVER ATTACK MY PERSONALITY AGAIN - AND I MEAN IT THIS IS YOJUR FINAL WARNING.

I expect an apology either here, or to my personal email in due course.

*By the way, where does the fuel that powers your car/motorbike come from?

Potted Shrimp.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:04 am

Potted Shrimp wrote:Firstly I want to address the fact you have assumed I am a 'guy' which I find deeply sexist, especially from someone who is boycotting the World Cup on LGBT issues - I find this personally deeply offensive.

Secondly I should never have been expected to condemn anything on this forum, and nobody who choses to watch the world cup should do. All I have done is simply highlight your hypocrisy without any personal attack.

On a third count the fact that you think that you phrased that I need to 'be a better person.' Now this is most certainly personal - I have most definitely refrained from personal attack (despite being tempted!)

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO TELL ME ON A PUBLIC FORUM THAT I MUST BECOME A BETTER PERSON. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, OR THE STRUGGLES THAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IN RECENT YEARS - WHICH MARK MY WORDS HAVEB BEEN TOUGH.

I COULD'NT CARE LESS IF YOU OWN THE FORUM OR NOT, I HAVE FIND YOUR POSTS AND COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD OF LATE TO HAVE BEEN EGOTISICAL, NARROW MINDED AND DEEPLY PERSONAL. DON'T YOU DARE EVER ATTACK MY PERSONALITY AGAIN - AND I MEAN IT THIS IS YOJUR FINAL WARNING.

Potted Shrimp.

You are either a wind-up merchant, who has now become wound up yourself, or, you are completely failing to understand the irony of being upset that you don't have the freedom to post whatever you want, in support of a sham event, in a country that denies people the basic freedoms of human rights. If you are not actually a male, then for that, I do apologies, as it is an assumption made on the basis that I wouldn't have expected a woman to be so determined in support of a country where women go to prison for having sex outside of marriage, if they dare to report that they were raped.

The thread had meandered away from the nastiness at the start, but you deliberately brought it back. I've made it clear what the position regarding the Shame Cup will be. You've made your point, that you don't like that position. That's the end of it.

PS I live in this world. I have no choice but to use fuel. I do have a choice whether I actively support the Shame Cup.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:31 am

Keith wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:Firstly I want to address the fact you have assumed I am a 'guy' which I find deeply sexist, especially from someone who is boycotting the World Cup on LGBT issues - I find this personally deeply offensive.

Potted Shrimp.

You are either a wind-up merchant, who has now become wound up yourself, or, you are completely failing to understand the irony of being upset that you don't have the freedom to post whatever you want, in support of a sham event, in a country that denies people the basic freedoms of human rights. If you are not actually a male, then for that, I do apologies, as it is an assumption made on the basis that I wouldn't have expected a woman to be so determined in support of a country where women go to prison for having sex outside of marriage, if they dare to report that they were raped.

The thread had meandered away from the nastiness at the start, but you deliberately brought it back. I've made it clear what the position regarding the Shame Cup will be. You've made your point, that you don't like that position. That's the end of it.

PS I live in this world. I have no choice but to use fuel. I do have a choice whether I actively support the Shame Cup.

Keith, if you have been following any of this: I set up the World Cup thread as a test, to prove my point that your views are a hypocrite. You passed with flying colours as you censored and edited my post to suit your agenda, fundamentally removing my power of freedom of speech - which ironically is one of the major criticisms of that Qatari (and other Middle Eastern regimes) which you clearly have issues with.

Nevertheless I am losing the strength to carry this on any longer, you just don’t get it. Although taking on the sole owner of the forum was always going to be a challenge!

For the sake of myself and the rest of the forum please lock or remove the thread.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:35 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:Keith, if you have been following any of this: I set up the World Cup thread as a test, to prove my point that your views are a hypocrite. You passed with flying colours as you censored and edited my post to suit your agenda, fundamentally removing my power of freedom of speech - which ironically is one of the major criticisms of that Qatari (and other Middle Eastern regimes) which you clearly have issues with.

For goodness sake.

People were asked not to discuss the World Cup for the reasons that I gave.
You expressed your opinion that this was unfair/
You then deliberately set up a World Cup thread.
Then you moaned because that thread was censored, as you knew fine well, it would be.

If you want to be a 'wind up merchant', don't then get all upset when you get a response.

As I said previously, if you had simply, politely, expressed your opinion, and left it at that, I would have not been replying to you. But you keep on prodding, even when the thread had moved away from you, and then you claim to be the victim.

And as you are struggling with the concept, "freedom of speech" isn't the same as being sent to prison for being raped and reporting that abuse. I've not been complaining of a 'lack of freedom of speech.'

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:01 pm

Not that my opinion will count for much but Keith is entitled to do whatever he wants with threads that HE finds unacceptable.

HOWEVER I would have hoped that he was prepared to accept that others may have an opposite point of view and been prepared to allow a free and democratic acceptance on this particular topic allowing EVERYBODY to express their thoughts be they negative or positive.

Maybe by having an adult conversation EVERYBODY will have their chance to argue their thoughts without the need for the topic becoming nothing more than an opportunity to become a topic of derision between opposing thoughts.
redrobo

Postby paschahound » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:22 pm

I haven't posted for a while, but this thread has wound me up. So, just to say that Keith, as far as I'm concerned, is absolutely spot on. What Keith is standing for is something that I hope everyone on the forum will never have to go through. A migrant worker may mean nothing to people who are just interested in the footy, but that migrant worker who has worked like crazy with 16 hour - 7-day week conditions, just to be able to send a tiny amount of money back home, is then being told that their hard labour has counted for nothing and that they don't even get their few pesos for their work, having been 'sacked' arbitrarily. Add that to al all those who have unnecessarily died due to disgraceful exploitation (Pinoys as well as the huge numbers from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh / Sri Lanka) that has gone on....well. So, while having followed this forum for years and knowing that Keith is ok about swearing, I will finish on F**K exploitation and disgusting abuse of migrant workers and F**K this World Cup and F**K all those who participate in it and support it.
paschahound

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:59 pm

paschahound wrote:I haven't posted for a while, but this thread has wound me up. So, just to say that Keith, as far as I'm concerned, is absolutely spot on. What Keith is standing for is something that I hope everyone on the forum will never have to go through. A migrant worker may mean nothing to people who are just interested in the footy, but that migrant worker who has worked like crazy with 16 hour - 7-day week conditions, just to be able to send a tiny amount of money back home, is then being told that their hard labour has counted for nothing and that they don't even get their few pesos for their work, having been 'sacked' arbitrarily. Add that to al all those who have unnecessarily died due to disgraceful exploitation (Pinoys as well as the huge numbers from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh / Sri Lanka) that has gone on....well. So, while having followed this forum for years and knowing that Keith is ok about swearing, I will finish on FUCK exploitation and disgusting abuse of migrant workers and FUCK this World Cup and FUCK all those who participate in it and support it.

Interesting that posts about the World Cup will be censored but vile language that you have just used won’t be. Another act of hypocrisy to add to the this atrocious thread!

And seeing as you have just insulted the millions of people who will be following the World Cup, on behalf of them and from me personally why don’t you go and F**K yourself you vile little cretin.

Now why don’t you go and crawl back in your hole and go back to not posting on here you vile creature.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:02 pm

Keith lock or delete this monster you have created ASAP.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Bare bum » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:08 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:
paschahound wrote:I haven't posted for a while, but this thread has wound me up. So, just to say that Keith, as far as I'm concerned, is absolutely spot on. What Keith is standing for is something that I hope everyone on the forum will never have to go through. A migrant worker may mean nothing to people who are just interested in the footy, but that migrant worker who has worked like crazy with 16 hour - 7-day week conditions, just to be able to send a tiny amount of money back home, is then being told that their hard labour has counted for nothing and that they don't even get their few pesos for their work, having been 'sacked' arbitrarily. Add that to al all those who have unnecessarily died due to disgraceful exploitation (Pinoys as well as the huge numbers from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh / Sri Lanka) that has gone on....well. So, while having followed this forum for years and knowing that Keith is ok about swearing, I will finish on FUCK exploitation and disgusting abuse of migrant workers and FUCK this World Cup and FUCK all those who participate in it and support it.

Interesting that posts about the World Cup will be censored but vile language that you have just used won’t be. Another act of hypocrisy to add to the this atrocious thread!

And seeing as you have just insulted the millions of people who will be following the World Cup, on behalf of them and from me personally why don’t you go and F**K yourself you vile little cretin.

Now why don’t you go and crawl back in your hole and go back to not posting on here you vile creature.

:shock:

I thought this thread was hilarious - I saw Keith as the dad who had made a house ruling, as he's perfectly entitled to do, even with his quirks and hypocrisies, and those who disagreed speaking like self righteous teenagers who'd been told they can't watch the footy on TV this weekend. "It's SO unfair!" "Let's have a vote on whether dad can do this!" "dad watched the rugby last weekend - he's such a hypocrite" etc.

But this seems to have drifted into a completely out of control tantrum now. We all have hypocrisies and on this site we need to accept what "dad" says or go and get a bedsit elsewhere.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:17 pm

I've kept quiet on this thread so far, but have to say I agree with Keith entirely. If enough people boycotted the TV coverage it would hit FIFA where it hurts - in the wallet. The sponsors are big enough and smart enough to have negotiated contracts which ramp up payments in line with viewing figures, particularly given the controversial nature of the award to Qatar.

In respect of Potted Shrimps allegations of victimisation, they appear purposefully to have tried to be confrontational with Keith, whose patience eventually (and justifiably) became overstretched. It in no way warranted the accusations that ensued. Someone with mental health concerns ought not to be seeking confrontation if it will affect their condition, and from personal experience I don't see why they would.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:33 pm

I just hope that every single one of you who have issues with labour issues in Qatar do not, and never have bought ANY products from anywhere outside the UK (eg/ China, India, Taiwan) where working conditions and wages for workers are as appalling (and arguably worse than Qatar’s.)

I also hope you don’t fuel your cars or use any products linked to, or produced with Middle Eastern oil.

I hope you have never been on a train, used a road, or mine powered electricity due to the many deaths caused by workers in poor conditions. I could go on and on and on.

I was listening to something on the radio that other day which basically said that sporting events are held all over the world in countries as corrupt as Qatar’s but it’s perhaps the fact that Qatar is a Muslim country is the reason why people are so offended all of this - I agree.

And finally, I couldn’t care less of every member of the forum comes on and agrees with Keith - it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Potted Shrimp

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:57 pm

Potted does make good points though, I'd be willing to bet most of you have products from companies like apple, and have bought products manufactured in places like India, China, Taiwan where working conditions are horrendous, I was unfortunate enough to see some of these working conditions in China and its dreadful, but you'll have gadgets from there no problem but question working conditions elsewhere? Just seems a little odd that this is where the line is drawn but when they make things you like, it's okay?
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Bristol Shrimp wrote:Potted does make good points though, I'd be willing to bet most of you have products from companies like apple, and have bought products manufactured in places like India, China, Taiwan where working conditions are horrendous, I was unfortunate enough to see some of these working conditions in China and its dreadful, but you'll have gadgets from there no problem but question working conditions elsewhere? Just seems a little odd that this is where the line is drawn but when they make things you like, it's okay?

You have hit the nail on the head here, and throughout this debate nobody has responded to this.

I personally think it’s because Qatar is Muslim country to be honest.

China is a great example - if you looked at the actions of the Chinese government and how they treat their own citizens, censorship etc. The appalling working conditions, poor salaries etc but nobody makes a noise. I can guarantee Keith and his supporters have plenty of Chinese made products!
Potted Shrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:27 pm

There are limits to what we can do in terms of what we buy and where from. I do agree that there are many products bought in this country from countries with significant human rights issues, but where do you draw the line? I think the thing is with this world cup that everyone knows Qatar paid huge bribes to get it, when it was always a bad idea due to climate, but they then set about building stadia and infrastructure with the most callous disregard for safety and welfare of the Immigrant workers, who then, if they even survived, didn't receive proper recompense. It's that added to the overarching human rights issues that make this world cup so awful. I personally think that Islam is much misrepresented, both by white westerners with no understanding of the religion, and by conservative Muslim clerics who, like many Christian leaders, more so historically than in the present day, cherry pick and distort the original teachings to suit their own agendas. As far as I'm concerned my objections are not anti-muslim, they're specifically anti-Qatar.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:41 pm

Fair play for replying and being constructive in your argument without being insulting or using offensive language - it has been refreshing!

Read the history of World Cup bids, bribes and corruption. It has been going on way before the Qatar World Cup bid!

For me there is a subtle, sub-conscious racial undertone fuelled by the fact Qatar is a Muslim country and that my biggest issue with all of this.
Potted Shrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion