O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

Re: O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

Postby Born again Bill » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:33 pm

Keith wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:It truly is perplexing.

It is only perplexing if you are happy to promote a state that imprisons women for being raped, imprisons people for being homosexual and abuses migrants. If you are angry that FIFA sold our game to such a barbaric state, then it becomes easier to understand.

You & I have the choice of watching games, or not.
You & I have the choice of reading reports, or not.
You & I have the choice of spending money with sponsors, or not.
You & I have the choice of partaking in discussions on Facebook, or not.

You have the choice to read threads on ShrimpsVoices, or not. I don't. I have to read everything in order to moderate it. I am not watching games, reading reports or partaking in Facebook discussions etcetera by choice. I'm not going to be forced to partake on here.

So , it’s a case of it’s my ball and if you don’t play my way I’m taking it home :lol:
Born again Bill

Postby Potted Shrimp » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:45 pm

Born again Bill wrote:
Keith wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:It truly is perplexing.

It is only perplexing if you are happy to promote a state that imprisons women for being raped, imprisons people for being homosexual and abuses migrants. If you are angry that FIFA sold our game to such a barbaric state, then it becomes easier to understand.

You & I have the choice of watching games, or not.
You & I have the choice of reading reports, or not.
You & I have the choice of spending money with sponsors, or not.
You & I have the choice of partaking in discussions on Facebook, or not.

You have the choice to read threads on ShrimpsVoices, or not. I don't. I have to read everything in order to moderate it. I am not watching games, reading reports or partaking in Facebook discussions etcetera by choice. I'm not going to be forced to partake on here.

So , it’s a case of it’s my ball and if you don’t play my way I’m taking it home :lol:

EXACTLY!!!

I mean you could argue why don’t you do what most decent sized forums do and have a couple of admins and then you don’t have to read through/admin the posts, but I guess the answer to that is clearly obvious!
Potted Shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:00 pm

Born again Bill wrote:So , it’s a case of it’s my ball and if you don’t play my way I’m taking it home :lol:

Potted Shrimp wrote:EXACTLY!!!

I mean you could argue why don’t you do what most decent sized forums do and have a couple of admins and then you don’t have to read through/admin the posts, but I guess the answer to that is clearly obvious!

So set your own ball up. Pay for server space and get all the grief. There used to be multiple moderators, but one by one, they've dropped by the wayside, usually by getting p****d off with the grief that they get. Freez still pops in, but generally, I'm the one who is paying for it and managing it. I can assure you, there have been plenty of occasions where I thought about just jacking it in.

If you are happy with a scummy World Cup in a country that treats people so appallingly, that's up to you. As it is, you've got a couple of months notice to find somewhere else that you can discuss the sham/shame.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Potted Shrimp » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:43 pm

Keith wrote:
Born again Bill wrote:So , it’s a case of it’s my ball and if you don’t play my way I’m taking it home :lol:

So set your own ball up. Pay for server space and get all the grief. There used to be multiple moderators, but one by one, they've dropped by the wayside, usually by getting p****d off with the grief that they get. Freez still pops in, but generally, I'm the one who is paying for it and managing it. I can assure you, there have been plenty of occasions where I thought about just jacking it in.

If you are happy with a scummy World Cup in a country that treats people so appallingly, that's up to you. As it is, you've got a couple of months notice to find somewhere else that you can discuss the sham/shame.

Will you please answer this as you seem to be avoiding it.

You are boycotting the World Cup essentially due to Qatar’s poor human rights records, deaths of workers, morals and domestic issues.

You support a team form a country (Great Britain) which has committed the most horrific acts overseas. Not only in our long term history but recently as well, we have caused thousands of unnecessary deaths around the world, and particularly (and ironically) in the Middle East. Just look at Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

We treat our own citizens like utter $hit, we live under a voted in government that shafts its own people, that would rather see them starve and freeze in their own homes while the rich get richer and richer. The disparity between rich and poor is massive and that’s all down to greed.

We are fortunate to live in a developed country but much of our infrastructure which we benefit today was built and constructed on the back of thousands of deaths due to poor working standards. Wether that be construction of railways, roads, down mines etc.

If you can answer any of the above I would like to ask if you use any product that comes from middle
Eastern produced oil - ie/ drive a car, use a plane or ferry.

Have you also boycotted any other football related to ‘brutal’ regimes - ie/ Newcastle or Man City.

Amd in the final irony - you edited a thread I made yesterday about the World Cup. You essentially censored it to suit your agenda, preventing free speech. Ironically this is something that these brutal regimes do whose morals you strongly disagree with do themselves.

You are a hypocrite.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Sorry Keith he has absolutely schooled you there :lol:
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:39 pm

I will boycott the world cup.......................once England are out! R.I.P Freedom of speech
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:46 pm

Doesn't Keith own property in The Dominican Republic?
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:50 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:
Keith wrote:

Will you please answer this as you seem to be avoiding it.

You are boycotting the World Cup essentially due to Qatar’s poor human rights records, deaths of workers, morals and domestic issues.

You support a team form a country (Great Britain) which has committed the most horrific acts overseas. Not only in our long term history but recently as well, we have caused thousands of unnecessary deaths around the world, and particularly (and ironically) in the Middle East. Just look at Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

We treat our own citizens like utter $hit, we live under a voted in government that shafts its own people, that would rather see them starve and freeze in their own homes while the rich get richer and richer. The disparity between rich and poor is massive and that’s all down to greed.

We are fortunate to live in a developed country but much of our infrastructure which we benefit today was built and constructed on the back of thousands of deaths due to poor working standards. Wether that be construction of railways, roads, down mines etc.

If you can answer any of the above I would like to ask if you use any product that comes from middle
Eastern produced oil - ie/ drive a car, use a plane or ferry.

Have you also boycotted any other football related to ‘brutal’ regimes - ie/ Newcastle or Man City.

Amd in the final irony - you edited a thread I made yesterday about the World Cup. You essentially censored it to suit your agenda, preventing free speech. Ironically this is something that these brutal regimes do whose morals you strongly disagree with do themselves.

You are a hypocrite.

And you are more than happy to support a World Cup that was bought on bribes, resulted in thousands of deaths, in a country where women go to prison if they report they are raped.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Potted Shrimp » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Have you ever considered becoming a politician? Will you please respond to my previous post! This has got absolutely nothing to do with me. Your the one who has come up with this ridiculous stance censoring people’s posts acting like some kind of holier than thou dictator.

In terms of boycotting this World Cup, did you boycott any of the previous ones - I mean we could list previous hosts and list the atrocities they commit or have committed over the years. Shall we start with.... USA? Russia? Germany??!!!!

Your really starting to look very foolish, delete the thread and let’s pretend this never happened eh?
Potted Shrimp

Postby Born again Bill » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:41 am

Potted Shrimp wrote:Have you ever considered becoming a politician? Will you please respond to my aprevious post! This has got absolutely nothing to do with me. Your the one who has come up with this ridiculous stance censoring people’s posts acting like some kind of holier than thou dictator.

In terms of boycotting this World Cup, did you boycott any of the previous ones - I mean we could list previous hosts and list the atrocities they commit or have committed over the years. Shall we start with.... USA? Russia? Germany??!!!!

[color=#FF0000]Your really starting to look very foolish, delete the thread and let’s pretend this never happened eh?
[/
color]

I agree P/S this thread has gone too far now with name calling . There will be plenty other means of airing your views on the World Cup , Keith please block or delete this thread . Let’s get back to the focus of this forum and continue the good natured (mostly) banter about the shrimps and associated topics !
Born again Bill

Postby Catte » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:57 am

Potted Shrimp - Are you defending the Qatar state and their behaviour with regards to Human rights?

If Keith has made a stance against Qatar and this ridiculous sham then is that not his right?

There will be hundreds of sites that will bury their heads in the sand, and by default support this barbaric state, so join one.

Other Countries have a poor history, none are hosting the World Cup and the majority are making efforts to improve, some notable exclusions. This is a sports washing exercise where numerous people have pocketed large sums of money (Mr Beckham take a bow) to turn a blind eye, too many to name in Football's governing body. Me I will swerve this, spend match day decorating.
Catte

Postby Born again Bill » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:02 am

Decorating !!! Hell fire Cattle ( unless you are a decorator ) :lol:
Born again Bill

Postby Catte » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:28 am

Far from it, Decorating is also my imagination of Hell 24/7.

But will get some pluses in the positive column will mean I get out on the Bike more often and apparently roads will be empty
Catte

Postby Born again Bill » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:43 am

I know what you mean about decorating , however I have found my Mrs has quite a talent for hanging wall paper and painting :lol:
Born again Bill

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:43 am

Potted Shrimp wrote:Will you please respond to my previous post! This has got absolutely nothing to do with me.

In your previous post, you appear to be mixing up 'history' with 'hypocrisy'. A simple mistake for you to make, what with them sounding similar. The World Cup hasn't happened yet, previous British atrocities have been and gone and nothing can be done about them. If Qatar had previously treated homosexuals and women appallingly, but changed, then I'd be okay with that, but they haven't.

Did you know, in Qatar, if a woman's husband dies, her children become the property of a male relative. If there is no male relative to care for them, they are the responsibility of the state? Can you imagine, your husband dies and your children are taken away, because you are a woman? You say "this has got absolutely nothing to do with me". Wrong, this has everything to do with you. There are three possible positions to take.

1. You support human rights and boycott the World Cup in Qatar: Not hypocritical.
    2. You don't support human rights and support the World Cup in Qatar: Not hypocritical.
    3. You pretend to support human rights and support the World Cup in Qatar: Hypocritical.

If you are prepared to overlook what is happening in a Muslim fundamentalist country, because watching football on TV is more important, then that's your choice. If you agree with imprisoning men for being gay, and women for being raped, then support this World Cup, but do it somewhere else.

If you feel offended that your 'freedom of speech' is stifled by not posting about it on here, yet aren't offended that widows are not trusted to look after their own children in Qatar, then perhaps you should reconsider your priorities?

If enough people boycotted this sham, the sponsors would ensure that FIFA never repeats this. If enough people turn a blind eye, then the corruption continues. Your choice. But not here.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:46 am

Catte wrote:But will get some pluses in the positive column will mean I get out on the Bike more often and apparently roads will be empty

Pushbike or motorbike?

Either way, it will be a bit chilly! :D

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:02 am

Just my two penn’eth and not having a personal attack but the blurred lines appear yet again.

From the below post you seem to be quite happy about the possibility of an alledged homophobe owning our club.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27479
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby red shrimp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:20 am

MJ.jpg
MJ.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
red shrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:16 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:From the below post you seem to be quite happy about the possibility of an alledged homophobe owning our club.

http://www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk/viewtopi ... =1&t=27479

From what I gather, he's repeatedly apologised for comments made:

"I apologise to anyone who may have taken offence at any of my comments.

"I said some things, which may have hurt some people, which as a Christian man is not something I would ever want to do.

"Though it is not an excuse, sometimes the heightened media scrutiny has caused me to act out in public.

"I mean no harm or disrespect to anyone and I know more is expected of me as an ambassador of British boxing and I promise in future to hold myself up to the highest possible standard.

"Anyone who knows me personally knows that I am in no way a racist or bigot and I hope the public accept this apology.
"

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:54 pm

So should I edit the “alleged” out then? :lol:
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:51 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:So should I edit the “alleged” out then? :lol:

Yeah, sadly, I don't think the "alleged" was ever required. But, if he accepts that what he said was inappropriate, and apologised, then okay. Christian fundamentalism is as bad as Muslim fundamentalism, or Jewish fundamentalism, or... or... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:43 pm

The thing is Keith those quotes you posted don’t read to me as if he’s sorry for having those views, more that he’s sorry to having upset his fans by airing them in public so in my eyes he’s still (allegedly) homophobic.
I personally quite like the guy, I used to sit and talk with him at VVV gym and don’t have an issue with him having his views, each to their own although it’d probably best if he kept them to himself.

PS. I’ll be watching the World Cup as I can’t see how boycotting it will change anything, Papa John’s trophy anyone?
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:The thing is Keith those quotes you posted don’t read to me as if he’s sorry for having those views, more that he’s sorry to having upset his fans by airing them in public so in my eyes he’s still (allegedly) homophobic.

I think he's apologised more than once. I suspect his views remain broadly the same. He needs to keep them in his head if they are.

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:I’ll be watching the World Cup as I can’t see how boycotting it will change anything, Papa John’s trophy anyone?

If enough people boycott it, then the sponsors will get pissed off, and they will put pressure on FIFA for the future. Papa Johns are probably more concerned about how often they are mentioned on TV rather than the number of fans attending the games in the early rounds. But, the point is, you have a choice. I suspect most people will agree with you.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby dazza » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:48 am

out of interest --- did you watch or allow chat when it was in south africa :roll:

cause they were whiter than white wernt they ( pardon the pun )
****dazza****
dazza

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:41 am

dazza wrote:out of interest --- did you watch or allow chat when it was in south africa :roll:

cause they were whiter than white wernt they ( pardon the pun )

You can raise criticisms about many countries. Russia... USA... etcetera. South Africa was at least moving in the right direction, wasn't actively and intentionally misogynistic and homophobic, imprisoning women for being raped or men for being gay and, while no doubt there were some bribes, it wasn't as blatant as the bribery & corruption associated with this one.

FIFA can't say that they promote equality & inclusion, while at the same time, accepting bribes from a regressive, religious fundamentalist regime.

As I said elsewhere, if enough people boycott this shame/shame, then the sponsors will ensure that FIFA cleans itself up. They don't give a toss about fans, but sponsors do.

Keith
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion