O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:34 am

As we're getting close to the disgusting farce of a brown envelope World Cup, just to let people know, I'm boycotting the World Cup entirely, and with it, ShrimpsVoices will be too. There are plenty of other places available for people to talk about it.

This is based upon:

* The treatment of migrant workers, (lack of safety, non-payment of compensation to the families of those who were killed or injured during construction, the appalling living conditions, that thousands were deported at the end of contracts without having all their wages paid etc).

* The well documented treatment of LGBTQ+ people.

* That women in Qatar who are raped, can go to prison if they dare to report it, because they had sex outside of marriage. Surprisingly enough, Qatar has almost no rape. Or, more to the point, almost no rapes reported. The occasional reports are often from 'western' women, who don't realise what will happen to them if they do report their attack.

I really hope that England & Wales are knocked out at the group stages. I'd hate for England to actually win it, and as a country, we'd 'celebrate' it for ever more. I won't be watching any of it, even if it was an England v Wales final. As far as possible, I will actively avoid buying anything from the main sponsors. If enough people boycotted this travesty in its entirety, including not watching on TV, then perhaps the sponsors would ensure it never happens again. Sadly, it isn't going to happen, cash filled envelopes speak louder than morality.

I've always avoided censorship on this forum, but in this case, once the games actually start, it is an event that can exist elsewhere.

#boycotttheworldcup
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: O/T. Pre-warning World Cup Boycott

Postby shrimp in cyprus » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:44 am

Excellent Keith.
Full support from me on that. As far as I am concerned it is a total non-event.
Brown envelope bollo**s.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
shrimp in cyprus

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Keith. I agree with your views on this subject, plus I'd also mention the hypocrisy which has become rife right from the lowly football fan right through the game. Personally I wasn't a fan of Taking the Knee, and can't see how anyone who did support it can take any interest all on what kicks-off shortly in Qatar.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Pretty sure Keith was hoping we got drawn against Saudi owned Newcastle United?
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:45 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Pretty sure Keith was hoping we got drawn against Saudi owned Newcastle United?

Keith wrote:Newcastle or Everton away for a bumper pay-day.

Although, home to either of them may be on TV?

Lol
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:24 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Pretty sure Keith was hoping we got drawn against Saudi owned Newcastle United?

Lol

Oh so he did want to be drawn against Saudi owned Newcastle United? He is the gift that just keeps on giving.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Could have sworn we lived in a democracy...... ;) ;) ;)
redrobo

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:18 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

Lol

Oh so he did want to be drawn against Saudi owned Newcastle United? He is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Good point, well made. From now on, there won't be any discussion of the Carabao or FA Cup, because Newcastle United are in it...

Oh... hang on... :roll:

Pillock.

I can't stand Newcastle. I disliked them before the Saudis arrived. I didn't want to draw them because I wanted to watch THEM, but because it would have been the best draw for MORECAMBE.

But I know you are hard of thinking, so it's easy for you to get confused.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:19 pm

redrobo wrote:Could have sworn we lived in a democracy...... ;) ;) ;)

Whatever gave you that idea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Feel free to set up a 'World Cup' forum if you want one.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:30 pm

Oh the hypocrisy of it all. I hope you don’t use any products that involve oil as we import and use a lot of products produced by Middle Eastern countries. In fact you may as well go live in a cave and boycott everything.

Have you considered the vile actions of this countries government in relation to foreign policies across the world and the way it treats its own citizens here in the UK. The governments of the western nations are as dark, devious and corrupt as the Middle Eastern ones - just in different ways.

I can’t wait for the tournament to start and will be enjoying the games while drinking many beers.

Come on England!!!
Last edited by Potted Shrimp on Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potted Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:36 pm

Name calling and insults? Really?
BerlinWaller

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:46 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Name calling and insults? Really?

Agreed, given the his morals!

I was hesitant about giving my opinion on it, and I’m expecting something back but it’s one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read on this forum, or indeed any, ever.

Hopefully it all backfires.
Potted Shrimp

Postby halfwayprawn » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Surely, we should have a referendum on this :o
halfwayprawn

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:10 pm

redrobo wrote:Could have sworn we lived in a democracy...... ;) ;) ;)

Neil, as I have pointed out before on here, SVs is a (mostly) benevolent dictatorship. Absolutely nothing resembling democracy. All hail the supreme leader :o :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:13 pm

I actually still can’t get my head around the fact we have all been told we can’t discuss the biggest sports event on the planet. It beggars belief!

And anyone who questions it is either insulted or told to go and make a forum. It’s really embarassing.
Potted Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:14 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:

I was hesitant about giving my opinion on it, and I’m expecting something back but it’s one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read on this forum, or indeed any, ever.

Leave him to it mate, it's his ball and power trip. I think i will follow Keith's lead and join the boycott and leave the forum. He really has shown himself up with this.

I bet there is panic over at FIFA because of this boycott and I hope the people in Qatar think about their actions now that Keith has banned all World Cup talk on this forum.
BerlinWaller

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:24 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:

Leave him to it mate, it's his ball and power trip. I think i will follow Keith's lead and join the boycott and leave the forum. He really has shown himself up with this.

I bet there is panic over at FIFA because of this boycott and I hope the people in Qatar think about their actions now that Keith has banned all World Cup talk on this forum.

It is literally just been on the headlines of Sky Sports News.

‘Unofficial Morecambe FC fans forum boycotts World Cup.’

More to follow....
Potted Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:31 pm

:D
BerlinWaller

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:09 pm

Sorry Keith. But this is ridiculous. Of course you can moderate your own forum but with dwindling numbers , you might end up talking to yourself.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments but why not discuss. You might even persuade a few along the way.

Regardless of where the tournament is or the politics behind it, your national team deserves our support. We take for granted qualification but we could easily go a generation without participating.
Wild Bill

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:11 pm

This is embarrassing. Kom nu Danmark!
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Potted Shrimp » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:17 pm

I have noticed he has been online and posted in another thread but hasn’t shown his face in the chaos he created here!

Quite why anybody would want any England or any of the home nations for that matter to fail in a World Cup despite the huge benefits it would have for the nation during these, to be frank, tough times is beyond me. Also add in the positive impact it would have on our National game - just look at what our brave Lionesses achieved this summer.

These people who are boycotting the World Cup are hypocrites of the highest order.

It truly is perplexing.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:58 am

Potted Shrimp wrote:It truly is perplexing.

It is only perplexing if you are happy to promote a state that imprisons women for being raped, imprisons people for being homosexual and abuses migrants. If you are angry that FIFA sold our game to such a barbaric state, then it becomes easier to understand.

You & I have the choice of watching games, or not.
You & I have the choice of reading reports, or not.
You & I have the choice of spending money with sponsors, or not.
You & I have the choice of partaking in discussions on Facebook, or not.

You have the choice to read threads on ShrimpsVoices, or not. I don't. I have to read everything in order to moderate it. I am not watching games, reading reports or partaking in Facebook discussions etcetera by choice. I'm not going to be forced to partake on here.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby red shrimp » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 am

Keith Jong-un :lol: :lol:
red shrimp

Postby Catte » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:18 am

I love the World Cup, as with all Cup competitions there is the opportunity for an upset.

Clearly that has happened early on this Forum.

IMHO this sham of a World Cup will not engage me at all, will save me lots of cash as usually have a couple of events around the disappointment of being an England Fan, so they are not happening this time.

I see Keith's point if he has made a similar choice, why then should he invite more drama whilst he has followed his principles and marked a line in the sand. Fair play.

Kind of easy for me, when conversation switches to the World Cup I will take my leave, not so simple when you run a forum such as this.
Catte

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:21 pm

I won't be watching most of the world cup due to working and watching morecambe
Redalert1970

Next

Return to General Discussion