Postby glagys » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 am

I noticed
Neil Sang’s son Tom playing his trade with Cardiff city on sky Saturday evening
Small world eh
glagys

Re: Former Shrimps Thread

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Not that I'm bitter, but...

Phillips for us this season: Played every league game. 8 goals, 6 assists in 25 appearances.

Phillips for Accrington this season: Played most games. 1 goal, 0 assists in 12 appearances.

Following him and Tanner, maybe loan players will think twice before taking a "better" opportunity in January?
tim-sanchez

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:17 pm

I came on here to post exactly that Tim :lol: you do wonder about making decisions like that halfway through a season sometimes. I get he understandably wanted to test himself at a higher level but he was settled in here and who knows could have possibly hit 20 goals the way he was going, his stock would have risen significantly and would potentially be looking at moving to a championship club but now surely he's done more damage than good.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:17 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:Following him and Tanner, maybe loan players will think twice before taking a "better" opportunity in January?

To be fair, I think Tanner was upset at being recalled and didn't want to be.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:20 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:Not that I'm bitter, but...

Phillips for us this season: Played every league game. 8 goals, 6 assists in 25 appearances.

Phillips for Accrington this season: Played most games. 1 goal, 0 assists in 12 appearances.

Following him and Tanner, maybe loan players will think twice before taking a "better" opportunity in January?

He came on today as a sub in Accrington's 7-0 defeat at Posh. I don't think we are missing him as much as he is missing the Shrimps !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:Not that I'm bitter, but...

He came on today as a sub in Accrington's 7-0 defeat at Posh. I don't think we are missing him as much as he is missing the Shrimps !

Rumblings of discontent and tweets about Coley losing the dressing room over in deepest darkest East Lancs
BerlinWaller

Postby al1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 pm

Big V scores again for Gills v Wigan,he is on fire
al1

Postby Born again Bill » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Rhys Oates having to stand in as goalie for Hartlepool , let’s hope he got some tips off Alex Kenton during his time with us !
Born again Bill

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Born again Bill wrote:Rhys Oates having to stand in as goalie for Hartlepool , let’s hope he got some tips off Alex Kenton during his time with us !

Kept a clean sheet as Hartlepool came back to draw 2-2, keeping them well in the race for promotion!
RapidShrimp

Postby glagys » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 pm

And Richie Bennett got the equaliser for Hartlepool
glagys

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Adam Phillips comes on as a 93rd minute substitute. Does being used as a pawn to run down the clock really enhance his career ?

If he had stayed here he could have been a hero in a promotion , and if not that he would have played a lot more football than he has for Accrington (and taken a penalty at Cambridge !)
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Adam Phillips comes on as a 93rd minute substitute. Does being used as a pawn to run down the clock really enhance his career ?

If he had stayed here he could have been a hero in a promotion , and if not that he would have played a lot more football than he has for Accrington (and taken a penalty at Cambridge !)

Wonder if he's regretting the decision now? Ah well, he made his bed.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 pm

I'm sure he regrets it, but that's easy to say in hindsight. At the time, he took a risk to make the jump up, and he didn't know if it would pay off. It clearly hasn't for him, the grass isn't always greener!

Interesting thing is, if we go up would we take him back next season? Knowing he's struggled in League One.
tim-sanchez

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 pm

Phillips was the best creative midfielder in League Two, and a full season playing at the levels he did for us could well have gotten him a move to a Championship club. Max Watters only took a few months of absolutely smashing goals in to get himself a Championship move!

Phillips is undoubtedly good enough to play at League One level and possibly above, but it's clearly not working out at Accrington. This will inevitably damage his reputation and possibly make some scouts/managers doubt his ability a little.

I wonder if the free license he generally had when we were in possession is something he's not had at Accrington, and that's why he's struggling? Not 100% sure though as I've not seen Accrington play fully this season.
Little Shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:Interesting thing is, if we go up would we take him back next season? Knowing he's struggled in League One.

Strangely, penalty taking apart, I think we're better now, without him. Initially, I thought we would be pretty well screwed, but in fact, I think we were too reliant upon him, whereas now, we're much more flexible.

If Derek wanted him back, then fair enough, 100% support him returning. If Derek didn't want him back, fine.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 pm

Keith wrote:Strangely, penalty taking apart, I think we're better now, without him. Initially, I thought we would be pretty well screwed, but in fact, I think we were too reliant upon him, whereas now, we're much more flexible.

Agree 100% with that.

After watching a couple of night matches in Dec/Jan I said to Sam that I had noticed one of the players seemingly not to fussed about putting a lot of effort in when having to chase back defensively.
Without having to think about it , he said 'Adam Phillips'. If that is his attitude at Accy, I'm sure Coley won't put up with it.

I am pleased that other players have more than made up for his departure.

On another former player... am I the only one who doesn't see Kevin Ellison as a club legend ?
Alan

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am

Keith wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:Interesting thing is, if we go up would we take him back next season? Knowing he's struggled in League One.

Strangely, penalty taking apart, I think we're better now, without him. Initially, I thought we would be pretty well screwed, but in fact, I think we were too reliant upon him, whereas now, we're much more flexible.

If Derek wanted him back, then fair enough, 100% support him returning. If Derek didn't want him back, fine.

Yep, this in a nutshell. He hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in league 1, maybe Coley doesn’t see him in the same light now he’s moved up the leagues.
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am

Alan wrote:
On another former player... am I the only one who doesn't see Kevin Ellison as a club legend ?

Loved it when he played for us, sometimes good but quite often a passenger so, legend? a resounding no.

Wasn’t impressed with his behaviour in front of Derek a couple of weeks ago, I get it that he doesn’t like the way he was allegedly treated (only heard one side of the story so can’t know if it was unfair treatment or if Derek needed to keep him away from the rest of the team for some reason) but he really should have been the better man, scored and celebrated with his team.

I now think he’s a kn*b although I’m sure that won’t bother him.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby black morse » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:
Alan wrote:

Loved it when he played for us, sometimes good but quite often a passenger so, legend? a resounding no.

Wasn’t impressed with his behaviour in front of Derek a couple of weeks ago, I get it that he doesn’t like the way he was allegedly treated (only heard one side of the story so can’t know if it was unfair treatment or if Derek needed to keep him away from the rest of the team for some reason) but he really should have been the better man, scored and celebrated with his team.

Definition of legend .....'a very famous or notorious person'.....so famous would include infamous and I think he was amongst League 2 fans. However, he was probably a bully and certainly had a nasty streak about him which people loved or hated.
black morse

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm

black morse wrote:
Sakhalin Shrimp wrote:
Alan wrote:

Definition of legend .....'a very famous or notorious person'.....so famous would include infamous and I think he was amongst League 2 fans. However, he was probably a bully and certainly had a nasty streak about him which people loved or hated.

I think that the term "legend" as in our legends wall would, and indeed should, refer to someone positively, not a kn*b.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Funny how opinions change of a person the majority once loved..... :o
redrobo

Postby RapidShrimp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

redrobo wrote:Funny how opinions change of a person the majority once loved..... :o

When he was with us, you’d laugh along more because it was the ‘done thing’ to go along with his behaviour rather than treat it as being sometimes really childish. After all, he got dropped from the team under Derek after he allegedly pushed another player’s head into the bus window on an away day...

And when you watch all of the other players talking about Kev, it’s always how he was the annoying and loud one - something that may create a poor atmosphere in the dressing room when the chips are down, and obviously Derek thinks that as well.

On the pitch, Kev scored some superb, and sometimes also very important, goals for us. However, towards the end of his time with us, he became inept defensively and clearly didn’t work serving as protection to Conlan/Cranston etc.

Club legend? Probably. Or just ‘maybe’. I don’t know. Certainly, on his day, a very technically-gifted player who could strike a ball better than anyone, and someone who is held in high regard by many a League Two fan.
RapidShrimp

Postby tim-sanchez » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Does anyone have the Ellison bus video? I've seen it mentioned quite a few times but I can't remember it
tim-sanchez

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Vadaine voted League One player of the month
RapidShrimp

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:Does anyone have the Ellison bus video? I've seen it mentioned quite a few times but I can't remember it

On his own twitter feed, November 2019. Scroll through 'media.'
Shrimp Girl

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion