Player of the Year

Player of the Year

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 am

Got mentioned by Freez and Glen last night, and thought it was worth a thread. Does anybody have any strong thoughts on POTY?

We've generally had such good all round team performances it's hard to pick a standout candidate for me. Phillips probably would have taken just for the sheer numbers of goals/assists had he stayed and carried on his form. At present, I'm torn between Stockton, CMG, O'Sullivan and Songo'o.

I reckon that player's player will probably go to Stockton, given the way he's been spoken about in interviews from team mates. I think that fan voted awards will probably swing towards CMG.
Little Shrimp

Re: Player of the Year

Postby tim-sanchez » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:58 am

For me it has to be Carlos. Top scorer in the league, lots of crucial passes, and improved defensively as well. O'Sullivan, Wildig and Cole are all up there, but Carlos is just a class apart. Sadly I think it will continue the tradition of POTY leaving us, but hopefully it can work out well for both sides.
tim-sanchez

Postby Martin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 am

I'd also include Aaron Wildig in the list. Looked a class player when he first arrived but for various reasons, injury, not being played to his strengths, never quite fulfilled his potential. Under Derek Adams though, we now see how good he really is.
Martin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am

Sam Lavelle is signed up for next season so he could be a candidate for POTY without maybe losing him to another club. Burton tried for him in January and the rumours were that they would try again in the Summer.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Songo'o is my vote for POTY. He has made the squad a much better one and his performances have never dipped, nobody has ever said that he has had a bad game. I saw a Twitter page say that Kenyon is the best def mid in the league last night but they must have forgotten about Yann. He is too good for League 2.

Cole, Sully and Aaron would fight it out for most improved player. Their individual improvements have been impressive and deserve recognition.

Carlos will walk away with it and rightly so, what a player.
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Tough one, but for me Yann Songo'o, he's a key player he covers our attacking players and full backs aswel as protecting the back 4 so well with his ball winning ability, he reads the game so well and also played well all season and why he will get my vote.
Andy D

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Too often its been all too simple to choose POTY but this year it's nice to have so many to choose from; I think I would choose Kelvin Mellor or O'Sullivan.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Andy D » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Bristol Shrimp wrote:Too often its been all too simple to choose POTY but this year it's nice to have so many to choose from; I think I would choose Kelvin Mellor or O'Sullivan.

how on earth can you give it any of them the player of the season when they've only just come into the side in the last month or so?

Cooney was 1st choice over Mellor untill around the time Burnley recalled Philips, also it was only when Philips vacated that midfield slot was Sullivan given more game time.
Andy D

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm

Andy D wrote:
Bristol Shrimp wrote:Too often its been all too simple to choose POTY but this year it's nice to have so many to choose from; I think I would choose Kelvin Mellor or O'Sullivan.

how on earth can you give it any of them the player of the season when they've only just come into the side in the last month or so?

Cooney was 1st choice over Mellor untill around the time Burnley recalled Philips, also it was only when Philips vacated that midfield slot was Sullivan given more game time.

I mean, that's just factually incorrect. O'Sullivan has been pretty present throughout the season, and pretty much sole first choice on the wing since around November. He can also pop up in a few other positions. Mellor started the season as first choice, then Cooney took over before Mellor came back in during late January.

You can see player minutes here: https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/918/Sho ... -Morecambe

O'Sullivan is fifth behind Lavelle, CMG, Wildig and Stockton. It's then Songo'o sixth and Mellor seventh.
Little Shrimp

Postby Andy D » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am

Little Shrimp wrote:
that's just factually incorrect. O'Sullivan has been pretty present throughout the season, and pretty much sole first choice on the wing since around November. He can also pop up in a few other positions. Mellor started the season as first choice, then Cooney took over before Mellor came back in during late January.

You can see player minutes here: https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/918/Sho ... -Morecambe

O'Sullivan is fifth behind Lavelle, CMG, Wildig and Stockton. It's then Songo'o sixth and Mellor seventh.

Yeah, like you said "November", thats factually not all season with Sullivan being shuffled about with Slew.

Mellor did stat a few games and didnt start particularly well .

both have been playing well fir the second part of the season and thats my point.
Andy D

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 am

Because they've played well; sorry Andy I thought it was about opinions. I thought I was allowed to have one.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 am

Vote for Philips, then someone else can have him.
Lazy agents just trawl through clubs players of the year and get them a transfer
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:53 am

Andy D wrote:Yeah, like you said "November", thats factually not all season with Sullivan being shuffled about with Slew.

both have been playing well fir the second part of the season and thats my point.

Ok let me re-phrase. The 4-3-3 shape we use and O'Sullivan's key role in it, I feel, became really tied down in November-ish. However, O'Sullivan was a frequent starter before this point, especially with Stockton being injured and Slew filling in at centre forward, meaning O'Sullivan basically had no competition for his spot.

Have you checked the link? It'll probably show you better what I mean. They've both played over 2000 minutes. O'Sullivan has 29 starts and 6 appearances off the bench. Mellor has 25 starts and 3 appearances off the bench. They have played plenty enough to be in consideration.

Personally, I wouldn't put Mellor forward as my POTY - he's had a decent enough season, but I actually think Cooney's probably edged it at RB, despite not being picked currently. O'Sullivan is definitely up there though.

Ultimately, game time is not a barrier holding these players back. Mellor's our second most used defender behind Lavelle!
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:27 am

Little Shrimp wrote:
Andy D wrote:Yeah, like you said "November", thats factually not all season with Sullivan being shuffled about with Slew.

Ok let me re-phrase. The 4-3-3 shape we use and O'Sullivan's key role in it, I feel, became really tied down in November-ish. However, O'Sullivan was a frequent starter before this point, especially with Stockton being injured and Slew filling in at centre forward, meaning O'Sullivan basically had no competition for his spot.

Have you checked the link? It'll probably show you better what I mean. They've both played over 2000 minutes. O'Sullivan has 29 starts and 6 appearances off the bench. Mellor has 25 starts and 3 appearances off the bench. They have played plenty enough to be in consideration.

Personally, I wouldn't put Mellor forward as my POTY - he's had a decent enough season, but I actually think Cooney's probably edged it at RB, despite not being picked currently. O'Sullivan is definitely up there though.

Ultimately, game time is not a barrier holding these players back. Mellor's our second most used defender behind Lavelle!

Our full backs are used as if we are an NFL team. Mellor is the big strong solid defensive option and Cooney is used as an attacking option during the latter periods of the game. I think it works well, I have enjoyed the development of the full back position under Derek.
BerlinWaller

Postby RapidShrimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 am

For me, it’s got to be one of Carlos, O’Sullivan, Wildig, Songo’o and Stockton.

In my honest opinion, giving it to a defender would be crazy - only 5 teams have conceded more goals than us in the league this season, with only two teams having kept fewer clean sheets. And you’d also expect us to be getting more goals out of the likes of Sam and Davis, the latter of which hasn’t actually recorded a league goal this season!

Our strength has been on the counter, on the wings, and general chance creation (as seen by the stat a few days ago that had us top of chances created in the league!). I think Yann is a good shout for the player of the year - he’s so vital to the way we play, in the way he breaks up the oppositions’ long spells of possession and quickly distributes to create an attacking opportunity. He’s also contributed very well with 3 goals and 2 assists, very good stats for a player of his position in this system. And all of this is backed up by the aforementioned WhoScored stats, with him having the highest average rating of any player currently at the club!

As I mentioned above, you could also easily make a claim for:
- Carlos (12 goals, 2 assists, and only Lavelle has played more league minutes);
- O’Sullivan (not always been in the side but he quickly proved his worth and has 4 goals & 4 assists);
- Wildig (what an improvement he’s made! 7 goals, 3 assists, from a variety of positions);
- Stockton (seems to have gone under the radar with a lot of fans, only CMG has scored more than him, and he’s also bagged 3 assists, and some spectacular goals across the season!).

Young player of the season? Well it depends on how you define “young”:
- U23 would give CMG, Price, Andresson, Cooney, Turner and Denny - there’s a clear winner there
- U21 would only give Price, Andresson and Denny - so that would have to be Price for me, great breakout season for a player just 18 years of age!
RapidShrimp

Postby Andy D » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:41 pm

it should be what it says on the tin, player of the season.

Its like Boxing over 12 rounds and judges instead of scoring it properly giving it to the fighter who only won the last 4 rounds because they were the most recent rounds they remember.
Andy D

Return to General Discussion