Morecambe 2 [Mendes-Gomes, Wildig] Salford 1 Live thread

Re: Morecambe 2 [Mendes-Gomes, Wildig] Salford 1 Live thread

Postby glagys » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 pm

and Freez saying the wrong person was taking the corner then the celebrations is right up there

With the “its only Ray Parlour “ from years ago
:D
glagys

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 pm

glagys wrote:and Freez saying the wrong person was taking the corner then the celebrations is right up there

With the “its only Ray Parlour “ from years ago
:D
Which was said by another chelski supporting media celebrity! :D
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby jbc.shrimp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm

We could do with Cambridge scoring yet to make that a draw.
jbc.shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 pm

When Carlos got the equaliser in the depths of injury time, did we celebrate like loons for getting a draw? Nope, our Skipper marched the players back in to position, we put the ball on the centre spot ready to go again and get a winner. Different class these lads.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm

I will remind you that I did say, anything can happen in the 5 minutes added!! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby tim-sanchez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:When Carlos got the equaliser in the depths of injury time, did we celebrate like loons for getting a draw? Nope, our Skipper marched the players back in to position, we put the ball on the centre spot ready to go again and get a winner. Different class these lads.

Glad our players were focused because I was still celebrating when the second went in!
tim-sanchez

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:When Carlos got the equaliser in the depths of injury time, did we celebrate like loons for getting a draw? Nope, our Skipper marched the players back in to position, we put the ball on the centre spot ready to go again and get a winner. Different class these lads.

I hadn't really thought about that as I was just a bit too excited, but yes shows what kind of spirit and belief the team now have!

I'm stunned, no point in trying to analyse that currently - just wow! What an unbelievable finish.
Little Shrimp

Postby halfwayprawn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Great team spirit, great win but we should have had 6 ;)
halfwayprawn

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 am

I've calmed now...a bit!

I thought we played relatively well throughout the game and matched a good Salford side. Their main threat was Thomas-Asante, who had a really excellent game. With his goal, I think Gibson was trying to show him the near post then slide in to block, which can be a smart tactic but he got his angles a little wrong. It wasn't a proper 'howler' for me from Letheren as it was a really vicious curling/dipping shot, but was definitely not good keeping. The main concern for me is that the sloppy moments he's had conceding - last night and vs Stevenage - are similar issues in that he got down to the ball but didn't get behind it in the right way to push it away.

On our chances - thought Stockton could be accused of a bit of lack of decisiveness for the first one, but really it was just a pretty out of this world tackle to stop him. The second one was disappointing though - Hladky is probably the best keeper in the league but he completely messed up the situation by coming out like a maniac and opening up way more routes for Stockton to score (chip, rounding him etc). Would have liked to have seen CMG do a little better with his volley, although I think there was a little mix up between him and Toums going for the same ball, with Toums pulling out but only at the last second.

Thought Hendrie coming on had a positive impact. He seems to have a drive to get forward more than Gibson, but is reckless defensively and that's where Gibson's strengths really come through as he's brilliant defensively. He made 7 tackles last night! The switch with Gibson going LCB and Hendrie at wing back worked a treat - Hendrie gave more going forward down the left, and Gibson offered some more mobility and tackling ability in the back line against Salford's forwards.

I love how this side just doesn't give in. I can do all the rambling analysis I want but the sheer willpower shown last night isn't really something that can be analysed like above! I was a bit shocked when we grabbed the ball and ran back to the centre circle after getting a 94th minute equaliser, but it shows that the players won't just settle for things!
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 pm

I liked the substitutions last night. Our width came from the wing backs and to be able to replace both towards the end of the game really put Salford on the back foot. I like Gibson, not as dynamic as Hendrie but he is a real solid defender and suits the the role of left sided Centre back.

We have become a bit more industrial since losing Phillips and his eye for a pass but I think it works. Toums is a proper unit and it is good to see him pushing on rather than sitting deep. Wildig is vital, his runs in to the box and the fact he is now a genuine goal threat gives the team an extra dimension.

I don't get the clamour for a new striker. Cole does his job so well. His hold up play and touch is greatly improved and he is the focal point of the system. His chance was missable for me. Yeah he should be putting it in but it isn't gilt edged. Some are obsessed with his goal to chance ratio but there is a bigger picture. A-Jay may well have rolled it in but would A-jay have kept 3 centre backs busy for 90 minutes or held the ball up to get us further up the pitch? The system needs a Stockton and he is fully deserving of his place in the team.
BerlinWaller

Postby Ego Tripping » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Got to say I think this is bang on from Berlin Waller. Cole will never score a load of goals in this system but he’s vital to it. His hold up play is generally very good and allows us to get up the pitch. Noticeable difference to the last few seasons of JBs era where our forward couldn’t keep hold of the ball and we were generally far too deep as we couldn’t get up the pitch (not a dig at Jim btw, more the players). Especially important with wing backs as otherwise we end up with 5 at the back.

Thought Wildig had a really poor game last night and also at Barrow. However he’s had good games in the past and missed a load of simple chances whereas now his finishing is massively improved
Ego Tripping

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:Got to say I think this is bang on from Berlin Waller. Cole will never score a load of goals in this system but he’s vital to it. His hold up play is generally very good and allows us to get up the pitch. Noticeable difference to the last few seasons of JBs era where our forward couldn’t keep hold of the ball and we were generally far too deep as we couldn’t get up the pitch (not a dig at Jim btw, more the players). Especially important with wing backs as otherwise we end up with 5 at the back.

Thought Wildig had a really poor game last night and also at Barrow. However he’s had good games in the past and missed a load of simple chances whereas now his finishing is massively improved

Just a note on Wildig. Look at the second goal, the goal he scored to win the game. Wildig plays a lovely pass down the line to Cole who then plays it inside and then the first shot on goal occurs. The clearance leads to Toums having his pot shot which Wildig then turns in stood on the 6 yard box. This all in the 97th minute. 97 minutes of energy sapping football played in rain and on a heavy pitch. Would Aaron have done this 2 or 3 years ago? Nope, he was injured more often than not and if he did play he was goosed after 60mins. His energy levels and fitness are remarkably better now and he is one hell of a player. He isn't a tackler or a pinger of a ball but he makes those late runs in to the box that teams hate. All credit to him and the coaching team for turning his career around.
BerlinWaller

Postby Screenster » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Wildig might not be a tackler as you say BW, but I do think he does his fair share defensively. I've been watching games back from the start of the season (watch this space) and you'd be surprised by how many times I've noticed Wildig putting in a challenge or blocking a shot. He's become a much more complete player since Adams came in.
Screenster

Postby redrobo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm

Anybody else notice how little our goalkeeper had to do throughout the game ..... :?: :?: :?:

Despite having the lions share of possession Salford created very little to trouble our defence.
redrobo

Postby paulshrimp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 pm

How often is a goalkeeper booked on the edge of the opponents penalty area? :D
paulshrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Absolutely agree on all the stuff about Stockton's general play! He's actually been singled out by a couple of scout/analyst types on Twitter recently.

I am bit sick of the 'bring AJ on' brigade - most of it seems to lie on Facebook. AJ is a brilliant player but is not the poacher/finishing extraordinaire some seem to think he is (he's hit double digits in the league once in his career), and if you chucked him on instead of Stockton then we'd really struggle to get the ball up the pitch. He's a lovely player but unfortunately not suited to our style of play.

Yes ideally he'd get a few more goals from Stockton, but his overall contribution to the team is why he thoroughly deserves to be playing and can be forgiven in the long run for a few misses.

On Wildig, I think he's a pretty well rounded midfielder as he does get stuck in defensively, and while he doesn't have the same Hollywood-ball ability as Phillips he has a nice pass on him and helps knit things together well. And then the goals that he has now brought to his game make him a very good player for this level.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Absolutely agree on all the stuff about Stockton's general play! He's actually been singled out by a couple of scout/analyst types on Twitter recently.

I am bit sick of the 'bring AJ on' brigade - most of it seems to lie on Facebook. AJ is a brilliant player but is not the poacher/finishing extraordinaire some seem to think he is (he's hit double digits in the league once in his career), and if you chucked him on instead of Stockton then we'd really struggle to get the ball up the pitch. He's a lovely player but unfortunately not suited to our style of play.

Yes ideally he'd get a few more goals from Stockton, but his overall contribution to the team is why he thoroughly deserves to be playing and can be forgiven in the long run for a few misses.

On Wildig, I think he's a pretty well rounded midfielder as he does get stuck in defensively, and while he doesn't have the same Hollywood-ball ability as Phillips he has a nice pass on him and helps knit things together well. And then the goals that he has now brought to his game make him a very good player for this level.

You would have hated the "get Rogan on" shouts
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Get Rogan on was preceded by get Galley on in the 80’s!!
I’m old! ;)
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 pm

Freez wrote:Get Rogan on was preceded by get Galley on in the 80’s!!
I’m old! ;)
Then there was the "give it to Parry" brigade! :D
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Freez » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 am

Aye, Micky, not Steve!! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:He's a lovely player but unfortunately not suited to our style of play.

Exactly this.

If over a few games, Stockton scores 1, Wildig 3 & O'Sullivan 2 or play AJ and have AJ scores 4 and Wildig 1, then yes, AJ is the better player & finisher, but the net outcome is we're worse off. I know that is simplistic, but you get the point I'm trying to make? It is frustrating when Cole misses chances, as he did again on Tuesday, but his play is much, much more than finishing.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion