thommo...baker and now twissy.......unbelievable

:x :x :x
dave wilky

Re: Twissy Leaving?

Postby The Red Knight » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 pm

dave wilky wrote:OMG...Any good news this week..... :?:

I'd say signing Rene Howe this week is pretty good news.
The Red Knight

Postby Shrimpsscene » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 pm

and a good wedge from the baker sale
Shrimpsscene

Postby dave wilky » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 pm

The Red Knight wrote:

Is this a done deal........... :D
dave wilky

Postby Posh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 pm

Can't say I'm entirely surprised at the news. Twissy's close control is still good and his left foot the most powerful I've ever seen. However his pace seems to have dropped and, sadly, so has his head. No idea what was going on last season but something didn't seem right. Fabulous player but it maybe that the only way he can rebuild his career is to kickstart it somewhere else. One year left on his deal so a fee perhaps?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 pm

dave wilky wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:

Is this a done deal........... :D

says at the on the info bar on sky sports news that it is
heysham_mfc

Postby Sammy h » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 pm

Gutted :(
Sammy h

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Sammy h wrote:Gutted :(

he hasn't gone anywhere yet
heysham_mfc

Postby Mark S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 pm

At the end of the article it mentions that Yatesy is on the transfer list as well. That does surprise me.
Mark S

Postby Joel Ninety » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 pm

What the hell is going on????
Joel Ninety

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Obviously Sammy and Mark want to make sure that we stuff Accy this season and bring in the players who'll do it
No more Freeloaders! it's play till you drop or you're out! :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby admiral47 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm

I was hoping that Twissy could show us what he could really do this season. However more worried about the thought of Yates going as I think he is a real work horse-although Parris did a good job tonight.
admiral47

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:44 pm

admiral47 wrote:I was hoping that Twissy could show us what he could really do this season. However more worried about the thought of Yates going as I think he is a real work horse-although Parris did a good job tonight.

Me too hence my playing him behind Blinks and ? in a previous thread, I think the world of Twissy as a player and curse the thought of MFC without him but Sammy & Mark have shown the way forward and Twissy could do with some of that himself

If you do move on to become a Shaker Michael mine and alot of other Morecambe fans thoughts will go with you
HALMA 1983

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:19 am

Thanks for the memories MrT but understand the reasons why you need to be closer to home. Hope things work out.

All the best Michael.

Bury fans reckon that they've forked out £50K for you. If so they've got themselves a bargain.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 am

I didn't go last night but looking at Saturdays game Yates would still be my first choice right back as well as defending he overlaps with the winger really well and gets some good crosses in.

However did Parish play at right back last night? I remb Bury fans saying he was a lot better at full back as he was to light for CB.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby campdave » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:24 am

Gutted that Twissy is leaving, been my favourite player by a mile in the 4 years I've been watching Morecambe.

Feel for Sammy and Mark too - made lots of difficult decisions this summer. Shrimpsvoices was full of people calling for fresh blood at the end of last season, and now it seems to be full of "what are Sammy and Mark doing?" comments. Hoping that the new players bed in quickly, otherwise I can see a lot of posters jumping on Sammy's back, fickle buggers that they are.
campdave

Postby shrimper » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:05 am

Joel Ninety wrote:What the hell is going on????

The manager is doing his job, mate.

He is bringing in players that he thinks are more capable of performing well at this level week in, week out.

Twissy has been one of my favourite players from the last ten years at Christie Park and I still harboured a hope that he could show us again what he is really capable of. I would still play him - but I'd play him up front as our main striker. I can't honestly say, though, that I'd prefer him up there to Howe or O'Carroll this season (or whoever else Sammy may have in mind).

I also like Yatesy but, as others have said, we have McStay who can play right back and Parrish, to me, looked excellent last night. McCann is also in that mix so we're not struggling at that position.

Sammy has warned us that he may need to offload a few - and that some of those may be fans' favourites who have served us well in the past. But he stresses we are moving into a different era now.

If he gets an interest from another club for any of our players he will sit down with them and say something like 'look, this club has made an approach. As far as I'm concerned next season you'll be a squad player who may get a run out off the bench, you may get in the first team if we have injuries or suspensions. Now do you want to stay here on that basis or are you interested in a move?'.

I think Twissy probably fits into that category. Sam may get approached about others and his talk with them will be different, like "I see you as regular first choice in that position next season whereas this new club that wants you already has good players in your position and you may not be a regular starter".

We may have our own individual reservations about players being brought in and others released - but I do think that from what I've seen the overall effect looks like it might just be a 'net' strengthening and a team likely to give us more consistency.

The truth of that is, of course, still to be seen.
Last edited by shrimper on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 am

Sammy and Mark are employed to do the job as they see fit. Without doubt Sammy has built a squad that potentially is far better equipped to handle the rigours of a full season in League 2.

Last season we got by as 'the new kids on the block'. We are now part of the pack and need to adapt our playing style accordingly.

Last nights starting 11 included only ONE of the squad that Sammy inherited from JH. That shows to me that Sammy has finally created his own squad made up of players he wants around him.

The managment team will live or die by results.

They have to decide if players who have served us well would be better for their own careers to move on. Certain actions will not please, that's the nature of football management. I hate to see the likes of Mr T and no doubt others leave, but it's happened before and it sure will happen again.

Don't be suprised if other favourites move on or are loaned out for the season.
Christies Child

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 am

Is the sale of Twissy a done deal? Definately need another striker if he does go. Sammy was right when he said we were set for a clear out. £50K seems like a fair price really, how long does he have on his contract?

Its a shame but I don't think we have seen the best of Twiss for a few years. Think he always was a bit more of a Harvey player than Sam's man. We built the team around him when he first came and that season he scored for fun. If he had a bit more pace he could have played at a much higher level.

Top Twiss moments? Scoring at Hull in the FA cup a few years ago to put us 2-1 up and the beauty he scored against Accy at home on the on the one time i've seen us beat them!

Mr T, Morecambe legend!
Wild Bill

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 am

Christies Child wrote:Sammy and Mark are employed to do the job as they see fit. Without doubt Sammy has built a squad that potentially is far better equipped to handle the rigours of a full season in League 2.

Last season we got by as 'the new kids on the block'. We are now part of the pack and need to adapt our playing style accordingly.

Last nights starting 11 included only ONE of the squad that Sammy inherited from JH. That shows to me that Sammy has finally created his own squad made up of players he wants around him.

They have to decide if players who have served us well would be better for their own careers to move on. Certain actions will not please, that's the nature of football management. I hate to see the likes of Mr T and no doubt others leave, but it's happened before and it sure will happen again.

At last some common sense!

Football is about football and is now a business first + foremost. We did excellent in our first ever season in the football league but looking back at performances it was obvious that some of our favourites would be moving on as we were getting too predictable. Twissy, Baker, Thommo are all Morecambe legends but clubs do need change and 10 out of 10 to Sammy for not holding any of them back. £50K for Twissy with 12mths left on his contract seems about right to me and we certainly won't get more than that.
Good luck to you all and thankyou for wearing a Morecambe shirt :!:
nobbyshrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 am

50k for Twiss is a great price considering our actual profit on Baker will only be around £70kish
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby The Fury » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 am

shrimper wrote:
Joel Ninety wrote:What the hell is going on????

The manager is doing his job, mate.

He is bringing in players that he thinks are more capable of performing well at this level week in, week out.

Twissy has been one of my favourite players from the last ten years at Christie Park and I still harboured a hope that he could show us again what he is really capable of. I would still play him - but I'd play him up front as our main striker. I can't honestly say, though, that I'd prefer him up there to Howe or O'Carroll this season (or whoever else Sammy may have in mind).

I also like Yatesy but, as others have said, we have McStay who can play right back and Parrish, to me, looked excellent last night. McCann is also in that mix so we're not struggling at that position.

Sammy has warned us that he may need to offload a few - and that some of those may be fans' favourites who have served us well in the past. But he stresses we are moving into a different era now.

If he gets an interest from another club for any of our players he will sit down with them and say something like 'look, this club has made an approach. As far as I'm concerned next season you'll be a squad player who may get a run out off the bench, you may get in the first team if we have injuries or suspensions. Now do you want to stay here on that basis or are you interested in a move?'.

I think Twissy probably fits into that category. Sam may get approached about others and his talk with them will be different, like "I see you as regular first choice in that position next season whereas this new club that wants you already has good players in your position and you may not be a regular starter".

We may have our own individual reservations about players being brought in and others released - but I do think that from what I've seen the overall effect looks like it might just be a 'net' strengthening and a team likely to give us more consistency.

The truth of that is, of course, still to be seen.

Spot on Glen, as usual.

Perhaps I'm a sentimental sucker for someone who has been great in the past and then, for whatever reason, lost their greatness and struggled to rekindle the spark that made them so brilliant. Maybe it humanises them, I don't know, but, like you, I always felt Twissy had it in him to be great again.

But he needed games, and he needed them up front. He got neither regularly, even before his understandable absences from the squad, whilst, I believe, inferior strikers were getting games.

We did see his quality fleetingly last season. Remember his goal against Bury at home? How he beat his man by pure skill (not pace, as was his way) and powered home a 25 yarder? Or those inswinging corners that virtually killed off Chester on their own? Even on the few occasions he did play up front, he'd get goals. I might be a maudlin fool, but I'm convinced he had it in him to produce his best again.

But maybe, for his sake, the time is ideal to make the move. The best player I have ever seen play in Morecambe shirt and surely, if he does choose to go to Bury, will receive a hero's welcome if he ever plays against us at Christie or, indeed, Westgate?

Favourite Twissy goal: I don't think I will ever forget his strike away at Cambridge in a our promotion season. A good 30 yards out and he nonchalantly ambled towards the ball and smashed it with the outside of his foot into the top corner leaving their keeper rooted on his goal-line. Pure magic.
The Fury

Postby Freez » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 am

Best goal I wtinessed by Twissy was that Cambridge strike, no doubt.
He will be missed should he go, but there is no room for sentiment if we are to progress.
Good luck to him!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 am

nobbyshrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Sammy and Mark are employed to do the job as they see fit. Without doubt Sammy has built a squad that potentially is far better equipped to handle the rigours of a full season in League 2.

At last some common sense!

Football is about football and is now a business first + foremost. We did excellent in our first ever season in the football league but looking back at performances it was obvious that some of our favourites would be moving on as we were getting too predictable. Twissy, Baker, Thommo are all Morecambe legends but clubs do need change and 10 out of 10 to Sammy for not holding any of them back. £50K for Twissy with 12mths left on his contract seems about right to me and we certainly won't get more than that.
Good luck to you all and thankyou for wearing a Morecambe shirt :!:

I'm getting a bit worried that some are agreeing with me. :o :o :shock: :shock:

This is most certainly NOT CC like!
Christies Child

Next

Return to General Discussion