Coronavirus and football

Re: Coronavirus and football

Postby Angler1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:32 am

It's looking like all matches will be cancelled until April the 4th. This is according to bbc sport website but not official yet.
Angler1

Postby AndyReifman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am

paschahound wrote:According to this...all games will be suspended? https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1238378199215636480

I have a subscription to The Athletic, so I'll keep an eye out for anything Simon Hughes posts there with more information.[
AndyReifman

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:46 am

The season could be null and void

Just proves that sport is not that important

Can't believe what I'm hearing on the radio... Some pundits saying that the league should carry on
Redalert1970

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:51 am

Can't believe the premier league and efl have left it till now to make a decision

Lots of clubs would already be travelling for weekends fixtures

What a complete joke these organisations are... Decision should have been made yesterday
Redalert1970

Postby Martin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am

Breaking'This decision has not been taken lightly'

Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures.

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis.

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week.

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."
Martin

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 am

Bugger :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now we'll have to go shopping instead! Unless there is something good on at the cinema? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 am

National League games still on as it stands. Could always go and watch AFC Fylde...
Shrimp Girl

Postby black morse » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am

And that friends will be the finish of football until next season. Be interested to see how they tackle promotion and relegation situations. Lots of appeals to courts in the offing. Suspect there will be 1 promotion from National League and all other up's and down's will be null and void.
black morse

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am

At last the Premier League and EFL have actually done the right thing

Who cares if football is cancelled... Thousands of people around the world have already died and keeping the population safe is the most important thing
Redalert1970

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 am

Anybody not telling their Missus?
BerlinWaller

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 pm

A thought about the so called family of football. If each premier league club gave £1M to a fund to distribute among the EFL teams that would work out at about £300 000 each club which would be enough to get them over this crisis. £1M is about a month’s salary for ONE star player. Any chance of it happening? I’m not holding my breath!,
paulshrimp

Postby redrobo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Correct decision to stop all football at our level.

I suspect that the entire season will be declared null and void which if as predicted the virus gets a real hold in 4 weeks would be the most sensible thing to do.

Lives are more important than sport. I was hoping to pop over to France to see a couple of Le Tour Stages but that will no doubt be probably cancelled.

Looks as though our holiday to Hungary in early June could be off as well. :cry:

My concern is the financial costs to OUR club. Just hope that the Government step in and help out clubs in danger of going under. However about time the Premiership clubs looked to help out their smaller clubs, can only live in hope.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:National League games still on as it stands. Could always go and watch AFC Fylde...

It's hard to see those not following the EFL and Premier League decision.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Really hope we can conclude our fixtures in May and June. However, as this is likely to be the peak of the pandemic I fear the season will be lost.

This will have a massive impact on the club's finances. Will players continue to get paid? Will season ticket holders get a refund for the matches not played? What about the centenary concerts? Other staff at the club must also be very worried. Tough times ahead. :(
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby redrobo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Really hope we can conclude our fixtures in May and June. However, as this is likely to be the peak of the pandemic I fear the season will be lost.

This will have a massive impact on the club's finances. Will players continue to get paid? Will season ticket holders get a refund for the matches not played? What about the centenary concerts? Other staff at the club must also be very worried. Tough times ahead. :(

No way would I accept any money back from my club in its hour of need.... :!: :!: :!:
redrobo

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:07 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Anybody not telling their Missus?

Could be tricky for 2 months :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm

redrobo wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:Really hope we can conclude our fixtures in May and June. However, as this is likely to be the peak of the pandemic I fear the season will be lost.

No way would I accept any money back from my club in its hour of need.... :!: :!: :!:

Agreed , neither would i.

Maybe now that we look almost certain to still be in league 2 next season the club could bring in an early bird for season tickets even earlier than usual to bridge the gap in our income.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm

How to upset the wife,
Tell her the football is off :o
Didn't realise I'd be getting under her feet and cramping her style to that level :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:35 pm

Serious times indeed! Without external financial support many clubs are going to go out of existence, that's for sure! I wouldn't rely upon the selfish cash rich Premier League to bail us out either. Perhaps it's time to open the Season Ticket purchase a little sooner than normal. Maybe with an option to make an extraordinary voluntary contribution above and beyond what we normally pay. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Time to find out how much we love the club and how much we wish for it to continue.

UTS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:33 am

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:Serious times indeed! Without external financial support many clubs are going to go out of existence, that's for sure! I wouldn't rely upon the selfish cash rich Premier League to bail us out either. Perhaps it's time to open the Season Ticket purchase a little sooner than normal. Maybe with an option to make an extraordinary voluntary contribution above and beyond what we normally pay. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Time to find out how much we love the club and how much we wish for it to continue.

UTS.

That would appear to be the only way for the club to bring in much needed revenue to tide them over in the short term and for some, like myself, it will be possible, now their holiday has been cancelled and that money isn't going out as planned but like the club, some will also find their income shorted and in extreme cases, lost, as no one knows how this affects their jobs?

Maybe, when they finish this season, if they can? It might be a case that next season starts virtually straight away, meaning everyone connected to the club miss their break but like you say,
Desperate times, where everyone has to show how much they want it.
HALMA 1983

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:54 am

I've heard that insurance policies that cover such outbreaks do NOT include this particular virus as it was unheard of at the time such policies where issued. So no money from insurance companies.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:51 am

How much does having a FL team in the town bring in to the local area? There will be pubs, cafe's, Chippy's, Taxi's all going without the extra income they get on a match day. The Boardwalk is the designated away pub and a big sponsor for the club but they will have no away fans to serve today. There is no need for the catering team and stewards today which means they will go without. The youngsters who sell the programmes are not earning.
BerlinWaller

Postby black morse » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 am

The only small plus side for the club is that with us having the smallest gate average we will not be losing as much as the 'bigger' clubs. However, as stated above, our sponsors will be taking a hit and whilst the sponsorship deal will probably cover until the end of the season they may not be renewed next season.
black morse

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Be interesting to see what the plans are? They can only extend the season so far before some players are out of contract, so end of June[?] is as far as it can realistically go.

Can’t see the season being declared now, as there could be all kinds of legal challenges as teams haven’t had a level playing field to get promotion or relegation. If we don’t complete the season, our Liverpool supporting fans’ heads will explode! :lol: Perhaps there is a god after all and she has a sense of humour?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion