Passenger

Passenger

Postby glagys » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:03 am

Well great performance by the lads yesterday, thought Bradbury look lively when he came on and he ruffled their defence up a bit,wildig is like a new player under DA,but still cannot understand how Slew gets the nod,and to think he was once touted as a £1m player ;) must have a good agent :D
Laid the ball off but never went for the return just stood there while the play went on around him
there must be other players that could offer more RO, KE, SM ?
glagys

Re: Passenger

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:18 am

Slew does a job for us. He kept Ng fairly quiet yesterday and he looked like the one they relied on for creativity. Slew is limited but I really can see why DA persists with him. He is ok in the air and really works up and down the line. He still looks a yard off it mentally and wants a bit too much time on the ball. He has a decent understanding with Cranston as well and we do create down that left hand side. He was unlucky not to score yesterday when their keeper made a good save.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 am

glagys wrote:Well great performance by the lads yesterday, thought Bradbury look lively when he came on and he ruffled their defence up a bit,wildig is like a new player under DA,but still cannot understand how Slew gets the nod,and to think he was once touted as a £1m player ;) must have a good agent :D
Laid the ball off but never went for the return just stood there while the play went on around him
there must be other players that could offer more RO, KE, SM ?

As of now, and taking previous games into account, I agree with you glagys. Apart from Berlin, who is obviously entitled to his opinion, oh and Ash off fb, I haven’t heard anybody else show support for the lad is achieving. In a Morecambe shirt, so everybody wants him to be a success, he is backed each match day from the stands, and he had an ok 45 yesterday. Hope he builds on that in coming games.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:32 am

DA has tightened up the middle of the pitch with Toums, Wildig and Phillips. Brewitt or Kenyon can come off the bench like yesterday and tighten it further if we are seeing a result out. Slew and Cranston have done the same thing on the left flank to the point we hardly concede any crosses in to the box. It's the same on the right with CMG and Cooney forming an excellent partnership. For all Crewes lovely passing and Red Arrow like movement yesterday, their goal came from a set piece. There is a bigger tactical picture with DA, he has made us solid throughout. Ok, Slew is not Arjen Robben but the role he does for the team is vital.
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm

A goal will do J.Slew the world of good, maybe that's all he needs to reignite his career.
HALMA 1983

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Thought Slew did a decent enough job yesterday, barring a few headless chicken moments. I think he works pretty hard, just sometimes switches off a little and has to chase play. Thought Crewe had more luck down their right (our left) but that was more to do with the individual dribbling ability of their right winger rather than any real tactical or positional failings from Slew/Cranston.

Think he looks utterly devoid of confidence though. He came and joined in play nicely with a few little back and forth passes, but then didn't spin and try to go down the line for a return. I got the feeling he didn't really believe he'd be able to do much with it - which is a shame for him. Hopefully he'll be able to get a goal soon, even if it is a lucky one. Wildig's first in his little run of goals/form took a huge deflection, but it seems to have really helped set him off.

If we're talking about defending flanks - got to give a shoutout to CMG and Cooney who were up against arguably the best left hand side in the division in Pickering and Kirk - both of who barely got a sniff. Kirk hung really wide - presumably to draw the full back out and create gaps down the side of the centre backs to exploit. But Cooney was very disciplined and kept his shape well, with CMG working hard to get back. Also thought CMG had Pickering on toast going forward!

Overall our tactical discipline was superb. Everybody seems to know which roles to fill. For example, Diagouraga dropping in between Cranston and the centre back as their No8 was constantly trying to exploit any gap there. Great stuff.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Thought Slew did a decent enough job yesterday, barring a few headless chicken moments. I think he works pretty hard, just sometimes switches off a little and has to chase play. Thought Crewe had more luck down their right (our left) but that was more to do with the individual dribbling ability of their right winger rather than any real tactical or positional failings from Slew/Cranston.

Think he looks utterly devoid of confidence though. He came and joined in play nicely with a few little back and forth passes, but then didn't spin and try to go down the line for a return. I got the feeling he didn't really believe he'd be able to do much with it - which is a shame for him. Hopefully he'll be able to get a goal soon, even if it is a lucky one. Wildig's first in his little run of goals/form took a huge deflection, but it seems to have really helped set him off.

If we're talking about defending flanks - got to give a shoutout to CMG and Cooney who were up against arguably the best left hand side in the division in Pickering and Kirk - both of who barely got a sniff. Kirk hung really wide - presumably to draw the full back out and create gaps down the side of the centre backs to exploit. But Cooney was very disciplined and kept his shape well, with CMG working hard to get back. Also thought CMG had Pickering on toast going forward!

Overall our tactical discipline was superb. Everybody seems to know which roles to fill. For example, Diagouraga dropping in between Cranston and the centre back as their No8 was constantly trying to exploit any gap there. Great stuff.

The simplistic view is that because Slew isn't scoring he isn't contributing. He is short of confidence and at times he is vacant. In the first half he did a lovely nutmeg, got in their area and froze. There is a player there, you don't get to the level and money he got to without a bit of talent.

Like I say, he does a job that DA wants him to do, a bit like Mingoia did last season.
BerlinWaller

Postby KenH » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am

Yes, Slew has missed an easy goal in the last two games, but who hasn't? There's definitely something there - he was a handful on Saturday and stepped up to act as the target man for many goal kicks. Very quick on his feet. He came from a very low league so can't be expected to come in at L2 level straight away. I'd say he's generally improving and once he gets a goal, his confidence will massively increase.

Pretty sure everyone complained about Vadaine at first, but towards the end of his stint at Morecambe, he was one of our best players - massive improvement.

I just wonder how many people are having a dig at Derek by whinging about Slew - they need to get over themselves. Whether Slew is or isn't a L2 player, what matters is that the team as a whole (including Slew) are inching up the table, performances are improved, attendances are higher, etc. What's not to like??
KenH

Postby glagys » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:33 pm

So the snippets I have read,via the press and tinternet suggests we had a few passengers at Newport
Alex was one as well as Slew,also that CMG was a bit part player,but that could be down to the playing surface
glagys

Postby redrobo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:17 pm

I reckon that our goalkeeper has cost us at least 10 points so far BUT I can't see DA being prepared to change and bring Baz in from the cold as Mark by the sounds of it is out for the rest of this season due to having an operation.

DA has been like a breath of fresh air but I suspect that he can be a stubborn manager who will not change from using his own signings.

:(
redrobo

Postby Ego Tripping » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 pm

redrobo wrote:I reckon that our goalkeeper has cost us at least 10 points so far BUT I can't see DA being prepared to change and bring Baz in from the cold as Mark by the sounds of it is out for the rest of this season due to having an operation.

DA has been like a breath of fresh air but I suspect that he can be a stubborn manager who will not change from using his own signings.

Really? Name the games
Ego Tripping

Postby KenH » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:24 pm

redrobo wrote:I reckon that our goalkeeper has cost us at least 10 points so far BUT I can't see DA being prepared to change and bring Baz in from the cold as Mark by the sounds of it is out for the rest of this season due to having an operation.

Can't remember many clean sheets under Mark or even Baz recently. Both seemed to make a few mistakes in the earlier games of the season. The new keeper's goal kicks are far superior to Mark.
KenH

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:10 pm

When Mark replaced Baz people wanted Baz reinstated at the first opportunity. Now Mark has been replaced the same people want him back in net. It is like our fan base is scared to death of looking forward and of change. The same people also crying out for 41 year old Kev Ellison.
BerlinWaller

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Baz isn't out in the cold, unless you mean literally in the weather.. he's our new goalkeeping coach.
He isn't picking himself these days so maybe he knows best?
Shrimp Girl

Postby black morse » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:Baz isn't out in the cold, unless you mean literally in the weather.. he's our new goalkeeping coach.
He isn't picking himself these days so maybe he knows best?

Does the goalkeeping coach pick the goalkeeper? I would imagine DA picks the whole team.
black morse

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Kevin is better than Slew even at 41, not that it matters now, niether will be here much longer.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:

Really? Name the games

I can think of two potential points, Grimsby (late off his line) and Newport (came for a cross but didn't get enough on the punch) away.... so that's 2. At a push you could argue that he could've done better with the first goal at Carlisle, but I think you have to complement the strike - there was still a long way to go in the game. You have to balance this against the penalty save at Walsall when 0-0, it would've been a different game had the Saddlers taken the lead.

As Adams said after Grimsby, as the last line of defence mistakes from the keeper are magnified more so than other mistakes - Slew for example has missed 2 absolute sitters for an additional 4(?) points in home games, Stockton has also been guilty missing guilt edged chances.

I don't really see much between Mark and Christoffer ability wise, both have different strengths and weaknesses IMO - which is why they are both playing in League Two. I do however feel more comfortable with Christoffer between the sticks (personal preference) because I feel he commands his box better and has better distribution. For me Mark is glued to his line, although is a better shot stopper. Christoffer does seem to have quite a weak punch when he comes for crosses - unfortunately we did get punished for this on Saturday, but it has happened a few times and we got away with it. This is something that he needs to work on IMO.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Slanester » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:13 pm

Whatever the opinions are with regard Mark H and Christoffer M, and we all have one, it just seems that some CHOOSE to have a short memory. As always, only relevant on forums, fb, etc, as the management will always make the decisions, whether the fans like it or not.
Slanester

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Kevin is better than Slew even at 41, not that it matters now, niether will be here much longer.

MPH, have you heard something of fact, or is this speculation ?
jbc.shrimp

Return to General Discussion