How many points do we need?

How many points do we need?

Postby Ned » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Fact - we will be without 3 of our key players for some time and in the abscence of any plan B announemount from the manager it is likely that we may struggle to win matches. If we get sucked in to a win less run similar to Chester's then can any of our realistic zealots predict how many points we need to survive. It may help to calm the waters.
Ned

Re: How many points do we need?

Postby Gnasher » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:45 pm

in the abscence of any plan B announemount from the manager it is likely that we may struggle to win matches

Hell, you're good. Can you let me know this weekends lottery numbers, thanks.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby fletch_al » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:45 pm

as it stands at the min, bournmouth can get max points of 66. so to gaurantee survial we need to double our points.

but thats with bournmouth winning there last 17 games which wont happen
fletch_al

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 pm

as long as we get to 50 points I will be very happy which mean we would stay up even if it was a normal season with no deductions and we are well course to make it if you look at the points per game. The frustrating thing is all the draws we have had if only we had that bit extra to turn a couple of them into wins like we did last season against Stockport, Bradford etc For some reason like Tuesday we alwaysseem to switch off at least once in a game and get caught out.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Simply Ned wrote:Fact - we will be without 3 of our key players for some time and in the abscence of any plan B announemount from the manager it is likely that we may struggle to win matches. If we get sucked in to a win less run similar to Chester's then can any of our realistic zealots predict how many points we need to survive. It may help to calm the waters.

Again - as you have several times, Ned - you imply there is something the manager should be doing differently, something that is within his capabilities at a club of our size with our resources.

Would you like to explain what that might be and why we 'should' be in a better position than we currently are. The sarcastic 'realistic zealots' reference implies that other people's assessments of our situation (ie mine, that we are doing as well as can be expected and, arguably, much better) differ from your own.

Instead of merely asking provocative 'questions', which are in fact thinly-veiled criticisms, will you at least have the honesty to say what you think?

What's your opinion about what's going on and how things might be handled differently, bearing in mind our club's situation, resources, fair comparison with similar clubs etc

I think it might help the debate.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 pm

P/T Indie wrote: For some reason like Tuesday we alwaysseem to switch off at least once in a game and get caught out.

It happens though - some of our goals come from other teams "switching off"
campdave

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

We currently have 33 points from 29 games with 17 left to play.

If Bournemouth continue with their average of 1.1 points per game (similar to us) they will finish on 34 points. If they perform at top of the League standard they will end up with 45 points. This is unlikely but it is a figure I would aim for, (we set ourselves a 50pt figure last season) but achieve it before the last game of the season when we play each other!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Simply Ned wrote:Fact - we will be without 3 of our key players for some time and in the abscence of any plan B announemount from the manager it is likely that we may struggle to win matches. If we get sucked in to a win less run similar to Chester's then can any of our realistic zealots predict how many points we need to survive. It may help to calm the waters.

How many points do you think we need Ned?

Starting another thread without answering your own question. Are you CC in disguise?
campdave

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Points needed.

hard to see Luton getting to 40. they would need 38 points from 17 games so would need about 12 wins which is better than title winning form.

Hard to see Bournemouth , Barnet and Grimbsby reaching 40.

Just to be on the safe side I think if we get 12 points from 17 games which is not exactly scintillating form then we would be on 45.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Ned » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:10 pm

shrimper wrote:

Again - as you have several times, Ned - you imply there is something the manager should be doing differently, something that is within his capabilities at a club of our size with our resources.

Would you like to explain what that might be and why we 'should' be in a better position than we currently are. The sarcastic 'realistic zealots' reference implies that other people's assessments of our situation (ie mine, that we are doing as well as can be expected and, arguably, much better) differ from your own.

Instead of merely asking provocative 'questions', which are in fact thinly-veiled criticisms, will you at least have the honesty to say what you think?

What's your opinion about what's going on and how things might be handled differently, bearing in mind our club's situation, resources, fair comparison with similar clubs etc

I think it might help the debate.

As requested Shrimper, hope this clarifies things:-

At the start of the season the manager’s insistence on signing 2 players for each position was an incorrect decision for a league 2 club of our size. To continue with this policy when only players of similar or inferior standard were available has contributed towards some of the current problems. His alternative for a club of our size would have been to sign fewer players and utilise the loan system much more, but that is all history and we need to look at the way forward.

I personally believe that our current league position is about right for a club of our size but accept that there is a fine line between the bottom group of teams with no room for complacency. A couple of new signings, injuries and loss of form could quickly result in a significant change of league positions. This is what currently concerns me as logic dictates that our recent injury problems will reduce the final number of league points we achieve. It makes no sense to continue with a perceived total working on the points achieved per game to date as the team is now considerably weaker. The real concern is whether the reduced total will be enough.

What more can the manager do? – Perhaps with the players available not a lot, but if that is the case he needs to be rallying the supporters more by telling us he is examining all options. If the club is working in the background on a rescue plan then he should tell us (does not have to disclose details).

An example of how quickly things can change in our position:- About 4 weeks ago Chester were only a couple of points different to us and their website was talking about mid table mediocrity. Contrast that now with Mark Wright stating that if he gets replacements he will keep them up, alternatively if he doesn’t then expect the inevitable
Ned

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Simply Ned wrote:

At the start of the season the manager’s insistence on signing 2 players for each position was an incorrect decision for a league 2 club of our size. To continue with this policy when only players of similar or inferior standard were available has contributed towards some of the current problems. His alternative for a club of our size would have been to sign fewer players and utilise the loan system much more, but that is all history and we need to look at the way forward.

I personally believe that our current league position is about right for a club of our size but accept that there is a fine line between the bottom group of teams with no room for complacency. A couple of new signings, injuries and loss of form could quickly result in a significant change of league positions. This is what currently concerns me as logic dictates that our recent injury problems will reduce the final number of league points we achieve. It makes no sense to continue with a perceived total working on the points achieved per game to date as the team is now considerably weaker. The real concern is whether the reduced total will be enough.

What more can the manager do? – Perhaps with the players available not a lot, but if that is the case he needs to be rallying the supporters more by telling us he is examining all options. If the club is working in the background on a rescue plan then he should tell us (does not have to disclose details).

An example of how quickly things can change in our position:- About 4 weeks ago Chester were only a couple of points different to us and their website was talking about mid table mediocrity. Contrast that now with Mark Wright stating that if he gets replacements he will keep them up, alternatively if he doesn’t then expect the inevitable

So how many points do you think we need then?
campdave

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Simply Ned wrote:but if that is the case he needs to be rallying the supporters more by telling us he is examining all options. If the club is working in the background on a rescue plan then he should tell us (does not have to disclose details).

I might struggle to field a full bench on Saturday it's that bad and I am hoping the club will be able to persuade the Football League to lift our transfer embargo because this is a unique situation.

From http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-s ... 4969991.jp
campdave

Postby shrimper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:03 pm

[quote="Simply Ned

I think that's a good point, well made and, in hindsight, is quite possibly uncontestable.
I say 'in hindsight' because - if you can get them and they turn out to be good players - you'd always prefer 'your' players than loan ones. Relying too much on loans is just as risky, I reckon. Season long loans - like Sammy's done with Rene - are better, but they cost. A few of his signings have worked, others haven't.

It makes no sense to continue with a perceived total working on the points achieved per game to date as the team is now considerably weaker. The real concern is whether the reduced total will be enough.

I agree - I think most people will (including Sammy).

The club has said a few times publicly that it's working with the League to see if we can be allowed to spend more of 'our' money. It's also, of course, announced what it intends to do longer term. Not sure what other 'options' the manager has? If you have some other ideas about what options he could have, it would help me understand what you mean.

I think we're all aware of that

[/quote]

Ned - thanks for this, I prefer this post to your original and I think you make some good points that can now start a completely different debate without the sniping back and forth.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:14 pm

George Dawes

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Don't worry your head, Ned! We have more chance of making the play-offs than we have of going down! I will stake my reputation on it! :?

45 should be plenty to stay up, maybe even 40-42. I think if we will comfortably gather between 50-60 depending on luck and injuries.

The next real worry we have is forming a decent squad to compete next season. Too many conference-sized crowds wont help; so lets all get down and support the lads as much as we can! :D
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

campdave wrote:

How many points do you think we need Ned?

Starting another thread without answering your own question. Are you CC in disguise?

That's a bit cruel...... campdave! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion