Next Season.....

Re: Next Season.....

Postby Gnasher » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:13 pm

My lad's only doing his job

And there you have the real problem. Civil servants making full use of the system they're allowed to. Has he not thought of saying "Book me second class" or "The hotel down the road is cheaper"? In the private sector, they are phrases we use quite a lot. While they can get away with it, they will but should their conscience let them?
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Gnasher wrote:My lad's only doing his job

And there you have the real problem. Civil servants making full use of the system they're allowed to. Has he not thought of saying "Book me second class" or "The hotel down the road is cheaper"? In the private sector, they are phrases we use quite a lot. While they can get away with it, they will but should their conscience let them?

Interestingly I wonder how many of the banking profession will willingly forego their bonus payments? The idiot in No10 hopes that they will. Bloody hell man, you are in charge of this country (for now) bloody well tell 'em that it's not going to be allowed.

Many others get the boot for failure.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Gnasher wrote:My lad's only doing his job

He's not a Civil Servant.
He goes where he's told, when he's told, and by whatever means are arranged for him. He even flew by Yemeni Air recently, which took a bit of courage.
Plain Peter

Postby Gnasher » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

OK, why not try "Do I have to travel first class?". Unless people like him start to question the logic behind wasting our money, there's no chance.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Sammy h » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:35 pm

Agree with Peter, a credit card is a must have aslong as you pay the balance off within the agreed time before the ridiculous interest rates kick in. As for wasting public money, i suppose he is only doing his job? My work are stopping bonuses, or putting them on "hold" so they say. It's all the press about bankers bonuses, what they don't realise is the customer facing and branch bankers rely on and need the bonus!
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Sammy h wrote:Agree with Peter, a credit card is a must have aslong as you pay the balance off within the agreed time before the ridiculous interest rates kick in. As for wasting public money, i suppose he is only doing his job? My work are stopping bonuses, or putting them on "hold" so they say. It's all the press about bankers bonuses, what they don't realise is the customer facing and branch bankers rely on and need the bonus!

.....and some of us have had to take a 35% cut in salary or end up on £60.50 a week!

Better to have a job on any kind than no job.

I've absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with Bankers and the like who still argue that they deserve their over inflated bonuses.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Sammy h wrote:Agree with Peter, a credit card is a must have aslong as you pay the balance off within the agreed time before the ridiculous interest rates kick in. As for wasting public money, i suppose he is only doing his job? My work are stopping bonuses, or putting them on "hold" so they say. It's all the press about bankers bonuses, what they don't realise is the customer facing and branch bankers rely on and need the bonus!

.....and some of us have had to take a 35% cut in salary or end up on £60.50 a week!

Better to have a job on any kind than no job.

I've absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with Bankers and the like who still argue that they deserve their over inflated bonuses.

Then on, without the bonuses the retail bankers start to under perform as they have no reward to aim for. I'm not talking about these over inflated 100% of your salary bonuses, i'm on about the average man on the street bonus CC.
Sammy h

Postby wijit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 am

The Red Knight wrote:
wijit wrote:Peter has a good point. Given the current situation, plus the fact that we are not getting enough bodies through the gate to pay the bills it may well be prudent (Cheers Brownie) to reduce the bills by being in a lower league.

I don't see how this would do us any good. Surely we would lose money by being in a lower league as we wouldn't get all the payouts that come from being part of The Football League?

We would have a smaller income, but our outgoings would be reduced greatly too. I can't see the payouts coming even close to what we need as income. If we had that great an income the embargo wouldn't have happened.
Also, tha fans we have going to the games now are clearly the more deicated ( that's not to dismiss those who can't go for good reasons), and so could possibly be counted on to go even in a lower league. This would make the gap between income/expenditure smaller.
wijit

Postby Mark S » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 am

Wayne, have you been at the grape? :o

Surely we are not seriously suggesting that it might be good for the club to be relegated? There is no point in having a football club unless we are striving to improve on and off the pitch. The new ground will bring in new income and I am pretty sure that there is other work going on behind the scenes to bring in revenue streams.

I dont think that we are any more strapped for cash as we have always been, with directors subsidising, its just different rules in L2. I reckon we are in a better finacial position than most of the other clubs in the league.

This embargo thing is getting blown out of proportion.
Mark S

Postby wijit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

Mark S wrote:Wayne, have you been at the grape? :o

Surely we are not seriously suggesting that it might be good for the club to be relegated? There is no point in having a football club unless we are striving to improve on and off the pitch. The new ground will bring in new income and I am pretty sure that there is other work going on behind the scenes to bring in revenue streams.

I dont think that we are any more strapped for cash as we have always been, with directors subsidising, its just different rules in L2. I reckon we are in a better finacial position than most of the other clubs in the league.

This embargo thing is getting blown out of proportion.

I think it would be mental to even consider, but I was pointing out that Peter was making a valid point. It might or might not suit us, but there are definitely clubs who would be far better off doing this.
The one thing we desperately need to improve is the number of people going through the gate. We need to look at more promotional ideas and if that were to mean a load of people getting in free then I'd do that because if only 25% came back a few times it pays for itself.
wijit

Postby campdave » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 pm

wijit wrote:The one thing we desperately need to improve is the number of people going through the gate. We need to look at more promotional ideas and if that were to mean a load of people getting in free then I'd do that because if only 25% came back a few times it pays for itself.

Does it work though? Stanley did it last year (maybe year before) and their attendances are as poor as ever.
campdave

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Gnasher wrote:OK, why not try "Do I have to travel first class?". Unless people like him start to question the logic behind wasting our money, there's no chance.

Brian, you know and I know that it's got to come from the top.
In my lad's job, like I've tried to sort of say, he doesn't even know how he's travelling until he's picked up by 'The Fixer' at his end, or where he's staying until he's picked up by 'The Fixer' at the other end.
He has no say in it. But the bean-counters in HMT, and that 'idiot' Darling do!
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm

wijit wrote:The one thing we desperately need to improve is the number of people going through the gate. We need to look at more promotional ideas and if that were to mean a load of people getting in free then I'd do that because if only 25% came back a few times it pays for itself.

Look at all the big City centres boozers
Wetherspoons. Walkabout, O'Neills, Yeates.
What are they all trying to do? Getting the punters in with all sorts of offers.

MFC, as well as being the newest and smallest of Lancashire's footie league clubs, are also the most geographically remote.
Season Ticket holders seem to think they are so important, and concessions are geared around what Season Ticker holders will accept without their saving being eroded.

IMHO Season Ticket holders, are folk who have a very clear crystal-ball. They know that it dunt matter whether it's a Saturday afternoon, Friday night or whenever, they can get to Crusty. They are the bees-knees, or so they think.

As for the rest, those of you who work shifts, or have other commitments, don't really matter. You just pay the going rate at the turnstile, and behave yourselves.

Morecambe is a small town, it simply cannot compete where attendances are concerned.

So there you go. There are loads of no-brain ideas to get people into the ground. Do it before it's too late.
Plain Peter

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Peter wrote:If all Clarkson had done is call the PM an Idiot, then there'd have been no bother.
The PM is an idiot.
Alistair Darling is an idiot.
Mandelsoehn is a dangerous idiot.
Ed Balls is an idiot too, and I fear there is much worse to come from him.
Ooops I forgot the Fotreign Secretary. He's keeping quiet at the moment, as is his kid bruv. Time'll tell with them two.

I can say all that because I am a prudent saver, who has contributed not one iota to the financial mess this country has found itself in.
That mess has been coming for the past 3 or 4 years.
I owe nobody owt, never have done, apart from when I had a manageable mortgage.
I pay my credit card bill in full every month.
Now what? The idiots who borrowed what they couldn't affordto repay are being bailed out so they can borrow again, while blokes like me are suffering for it.

I suppose at least we can be thankful the Tory party isn't in power, then the country would be in a mess.

Oh, and better off in a lower league? You're an idiot.
durhamshrimp

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Gnasher wrote:OK, why not try "Do I have to travel first class?". Unless people like him start to question the logic behind wasting our money, there's no chance.

Exactly. Something done by all round top bloke Tony Benn in his time in office. Refused to travel anywhere 1st Class.
durhamshrimp

Postby Gnasher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Brian, you know and I know that it's got to come from the top.

It has to start somewhere, not necessarily at the top.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:I suppose at least we can be thankful the Tory party isn't in power, then the country would be in a mess.

Damn right DS, it's going to take more than a change of government to dig us out this mess ;)

durhamshrimp wrote:Oh, and better off in a lower league? You're an idiot.

The intention of the thread was to open a bit of healthy debate. You're right though, fortunately I can't do much damage.
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 pm

well I think this is going around to a full circle now, so on your last post, we'll call it a day.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion