Normal service may resume.........

Normal service may resume.........

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm

.......when the BBC covers live FA Cup football again.

I am getting sick, frustrated and tired of ITV's football coverage.
Last night as Everton were building up the attack which led to their goal, I was suddenly watching a family sat on a sofa, an advert of some sort, then it flashed back just as Gosling was ruffling the Reds' feathers.
Last month the Portsmouth v. Swansea game had the worst camera angle I have ever seen for a match, and as it was first game on at the start of the highlights programme, it looked really amateurish.
Don't get me started on the commentators. If I hear "they've not read the script" one more time, I think I'll go and jump off the North Stand.
I may be old fashioned, but the likes of Motson, Davies and Gubba were able to portray the sense of occasion and magic of the Cup that ITV just cannot do.
I know that money talks, but probably at the expense of quality and professionalism.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Re: Normal service may resume.........

Postby Bare Ben » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Spot on
Bare Ben

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks, and well done Bare Ben for your support and effort for the team from the top of the North Stand :)
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:13 am

seasonsinthesun wrote:.......when the BBC covers live FA Cup football again.

Last night as Everton were building up the attack which led to their goal, I was suddenly watching a family sat on a sofa, an advert of some sort, then it flashed back just as Gosling was ruffling the Reds' feathers.
Last month the Portsmouth v. Swansea game had the worst camera angle I have ever seen for a match, and as it was first game on at the start of the highlights programme, it looked really amateurish.
Don't get me started on the commentators. If I hear "they've not read the script" one more time, I think I'll go and jump off the North Stand.
I may be old fashioned, but the likes of Motson, Davies and Gubba were able to portray the sense of occasion and magic of the Cup that ITV just cannot do.
I know that money talks, but probably at the expense of quality and professionalism.

Don't get me started on the script. Peter Drury (Dreary) can't go through a Liverpool Champions League match without mentioning what one team has done with the script. Either read it, ignored it, ripped it up etc.

The thing with the goal the other night however I think might have just been a one off. I've never seen ITV do that before. Anyone else remember this incident from Match of the Day a couple of seasons ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEquAooXdPk
durhamshrimp

Postby campdave » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 am

Personally I find the BBC's presentation of football to be incredibly frustrating. Lawrenson is an idiot, Shearer has no opinions and Hansen has turned into a cliche, and Linker is a patronising prick.
campdave

Postby Martin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 am

seasonsinthesun wrote:.......when the BBC covers live FA Cup football again.

Agree totally.

I think the Portsmouth v Swansea game was shot by a bloke on the touchline with his new camcorder!!

And what's happened to Steve Rider? Once the doyen of BBC Sport, he seems to have effortlessly dumbed down to the ITV edict of Football Presentation!
Martin

Postby The Marksman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 am

campdave wrote:Personally I find the BBC's presentation of football to be incredibly frustrating. Lawrenson is an idiot, Shearer has no opinions and Hansen has turned into a cliche, and Lineker is a patronising prick.

I'm with you on that. The BBC tend to gloss over any controversial incidents involving big four clubs and their post match interviews are pathetic - Garth Crooks is like a little slobbering puppy. They were only any good when they had O'Neill or Strachan on, two people who actually have something to say that a ten year old couldn't deduce for themselves.

Neither station is any good at presenting football, whether it be from a perspective of intelligent insight, actual wit or even just getting the correct moving pictures to appear.

Sky are probably better but Jamie Redknapp gives me rage, he's Sky's version of Shearer.
The Marksman

Postby Dazzer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:15 am

Yes I have to chip in here too, ITV sports coverage and in particular their football coverage has long been a bug bear of mine

BBC, Sky and even Sentanta all offer far slicker coverage.

And yes it's the commentators worst of all. Clive 'I adore Manchester United more than life itself' Tyldesley and as for Peter 'I was shakespeare in a previous life' Drury -I have to stop myself from kicking the screen in. :twisted:
Dazzer

Postby shrimper » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am

Always thought Tyldesley was an Everton fan (saw him in the press area at Goodison many years ago - before he made it to TV - and he was representing a radio station, wearing full EFC badge and tie combo).

The thing that really annoys me about him is the way he pronounces the word 'another'. He uses the 'o' sound as in 'bother' instead of the usual (for normal people) 'o' sound as in 'mother'.

No-one else in the world pronounces it like that.

Sky coverage is head and shoulders above the rest, just a shame they have such a 'pull' on the way the game is structured now.

Andy Gray isn't everyone's cup of Bovril but at least he says stuff that you may not have thought of, when commenting.

Disagree about Jamie Redknapp, I think he shows a passion for the subject that few of the others display. And if he's making a point he's not afraid to argue with other pundits who are trying to defend the indefensible.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Shrimpsscene » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm

prefer itv4
spurs 0 man city 3
tony galvin with a degree in russian???
magic............
Shrimpsscene

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby CASS » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:21 pm

On the other hand ITV made the procession that is F1 far more interesting than it was on BBC,I guess it was how SKY would have done it.
It will be interesting to see how the BBC present F1 when it returns there.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Return to General Discussion