Tonights gate

Tonights gate

Postby Abbo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I think we are going to attract our lowest crowd of the season tonight, 1600 at the most.
Abbo

Re: Tonights gate

Postby Howe Magic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 pm

a very poor 1325
Howe Magic

Postby thegentlegiant » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

weather ok but cold....judgeing by sat i would have to say 1513.
thegentlegiant

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Abbo wrote:I think we are going to attract our lowest crowd of the season tonight, 1600 at the most.

1571 was the lowest against Dagenham - and they brought 65 fans!

We do seem to have 1500 regulars tho that tip out regardless of how we played in the last game or what the weather is like on a Tuesday night. The Arsenal match is postponed so not on the telly and knowing us we will give high flying Brentford, who only a few saw down at their place, a shock tonight :roll: But we will need to keep tabs on Charlie McDonald and Jordan Rhodes :!:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Curly » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Will be galvanized steel on sturdy hinges ;)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Crooky MFC » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 pm

I don't see why people don't attend games because of our league position. True supporters would go whatever the position/form and that's what annoys me about some fickle fans. I will be there along with 1600 others.
Crooky MFC

Postby james456 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm

1700 - give or take 100.

I think we are now down to the regulars.
james456

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Can't make it tonight due to one of my sons who allways attends with me being ill. First home game we will miss this season but we're both season ticket holders so our numbers should still be added to the gate.

Hope the gate holds up and folk keep the faith. We seem to have a hardcore of circa 1700 but can't see many from Brentford making the trip so a gate of 1710 is my prediction.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 pm

Crooky MFC wrote:I don't see why people don't attend games because of our league position. True supporters would go whatever the position/form and that's what annoys me about some fickle fans. I will be there along with 1600 others.

Maybe they dont want to go everyweek.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Gnasher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Just over 1200 with 1100 home fans
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby james456 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm

terrible attendance but a good number of Brenford fans
james456

Postby CASS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 pm

james456 wrote:terrible attendance but a good number of Brenford fans

Young chap just txt 5 live to say he had been forced to go to the match by his Dad who is a Brentford fan. Not a happy chap, he said that not only did they lose but they had a 3 hr drive back to Stranrarer,followed by a ferry to Belfast arriving at 08.00.He is due in class @ 09.00hrs
Fair Play for turning up. :D
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 pm

and I thought I was mad!

...then I thought, why not sail from Heysham? I'm sure there is a ferry at about 2am, because the Isle of Man one goes out at 02:15hrs and the Belfast one is shortly before hand... Looks like it's freight only Heysham-Belfast?

Be pissed off if it turned out he could have sailed directly from just up the road though :shock:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am

the worst attendence of the season...all i will say is if your a part time mfc fan you should stay away because we won without u there and you truly are a part time fan
thegentlegiant

Postby campdave » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 am

Keith wrote: Looks like it's freight only Heysham-Belfast?

The Heysham - Belfast is freight only, but does take a few car passengers if there is room. It's hellish expensive on the overnight services though - £150 each way last time I looked, compared to £180 return for day sailings.

Last time I was on it, it took 9ish hours each way. It's not got much pace, a bit like our team :lol:
campdave

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:13 am

For midweek home games in mid Winter there should be special promotions to get more people in.

£1 for a child accompanied by an adult etc

We are in the worst recession for 70 or 80 years and 2 home games in 3 days are too expensive for a lot of people.

We have Lincoln next Tuesday followed by Chester on the Saturday. Can the marketing dept get their thinking caps on to boost the attendances.
If it means cutting some prices the season ticket holders could receive vouchers to use against their next season ticket by way of compensation.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:51 am

As a season ticket holder....sod the vouchers or reduction in season tickets as far as I'm concerned. I'll pay the going rate!

By all means reduce the admission for kids, that's both logical and sensible.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Dazzer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:03 am

I had a very strange feeling yesterday. For the first time in 10 years I was'nt really bothered about going to the game!
I've never felt like that before so I gave it some thought as to why I might be feeling that way, and I came up with the following reasons;

- The bitter cold!
- The likely prospect of a not very entertaining show of football and an unfavourable result.
- 3rd game in 8 days, and the associated expense, at a time when, like many people I'm starting to worry about the security of my job.

Maybe they are some of the reasons shared by the 'missing 700'.

As it happened, I went and thoroughly enjoyed one of the performances of the season :P

Full enthusiasm restored, now looking forward to Rochdale Saturday (Especially if it's going to be a few degrees warmer!)
Dazzer

Postby Harry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 am

thegentlegiant wrote:the worst attendence of the season...all i will say is if your a part time mfc fan you should stay away because we won without u there and you truly are a part time fan

Maybe we don't need them there to win, but we need them for the money! We usually have around 1500 home supporters, but only had 1200 last night. Assuming there's a ratio of one kid to 2 adults, that's 2,900 pounds in missed revenue which would also have filled out the North Stand a bit!
Harry

Postby sgt major » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am

Bloody hell!!!!! The temp drops a wee bit and people moan about the cold and how they cant go out.

I have watched Morecambe FC playing in the snow in the past and there was a good crowd, it just proves how fickle some supporters can be although I do accept that some parents will keep their younger kids at home on a school night for very good reasons. So, where are the missing folk who perhaps cant turn up regularly on a Saturday because they are either working or playing footie in local leagues. Well, I think the answer lies in the teams performance on a Saturday, if it's been good more WILL come along. If they have had a lacklustre display (like against Accy), then the fans will vote with their feet. Sorry if that offends but sometimes people want to be asociated with a winning team - hence the exodus at the weekend by Morecambe folk to watch Man U and Liverpool, for example.

I dont think that MFC can realistically lower the price to get in - as some have already said, they will watch whatever it costs, but apart from us fanatics who spread the word wherever we can there doesnt seem to be too much enthusiasm coursing through the town reagrding anything to do with the club - let's hope the new ground build will spark up a new following and help to get our team really setting the football league alight.
sgt major

Postby slackAlice » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm

As a season ticket holder I too would welcome reduced admission offers to get folk going to matches. I suspect it might not make that much difference sadly, there just doesn't seem to be the appetite for League football locally.

The more people you talk to the more obvious it becomes. It always suprises me that more Lancaster folk don't show up - decent Bus service etc , but having spoke to quite a few at work & socially you either get 'Aye I keep meaning to go' ? or that 'anti - Morecambe sentiment' , not that they support Lancaster City they just won't go to Morecambe full stop ! I've had that quite a lot.

I often think it would be interesting to find out where the 'regular' spectators are coming from - I mean the majority will presumably travel from Morecambe & Heysham , but I'm originally from a local village and there is a lot from that village and neighbouring villages that go regularly. They don't have any Lancaster / Morecambe 'baggage' so to speak. I think cost and even performances / results are only part of it though - I honestly don't know what can be done long term to boost attendance - it will become more worrying I believe. I mean even hypothetically had they advertised last night as 'Free admission' would we have 2500 - 3000 there ? The one glimmer of hope I feel is there always seems to be a lot of 'young uns' there especially near where I was in the North Stand last night - but it seems to be more of a 'meeting up / social' thing ? they don't seem to be watching a lot of football but at least they go.
slackAlice

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:55 pm

A bad night for gates.

Chester had 1,400 and 500 of them were from Rochdale.

Accrington took just 28 fans to Shrewsbury.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Gentle Giant Morecambes No.1 fan!! I guess we should all be a bit more like you.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Star08 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm

There's nowt wrong wi'Morecambe...it was a holiday destination from Manchester when I was a kid an even tho now I live down the road from Lancaster City I support the Shrimps. It just has to be done...
'What the hell'..its always the right decision

When you realise we are all mad life starts to make sense
Star08

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 pm

marky No.1 wrote: knowing us we will give high flying Brentford, who only a few saw down at their place, a shock tonight

Its not just getting the fans through the gate, we did'nt even have a match sponsor :shock:

There should be a special deal coming up for the hospitality v Lincoln so let's hope they get someone in :?: I'm missing my Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pud :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Next

Return to General Discussion