Squad size

Squad size

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:00 pm

One of the problems this season has been the size of the 24 man squad which must have been a major contributing factor to the embargo. ie more wages.

Next season, should we operate on an 18 man squad but pay out more on better players from the financial savings of having a smaller squad?

Discuss.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Squad size

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:16 pm

probably lots of things to consider before choosing, a couple that came to mind are -

If we had a small squad you could get caught out by having too many injuries and not enough fit players

Having a large squad could create financial problems and prevent us from bringing in new players (again)
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby campdave » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Christies Child wrote: but pay out more on better players from the financial savings of having a smaller squad?

I think we'd rather have "better" players, but who's to say we can get them? Andy Kirk wasn't interested.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote: but pay out more on better players from the financial savings of having a smaller squad?

I think we'd rather have "better" players, but who's to say we can get them? Andy Kirk wasn't interested.

I think the AK situation was more a case of his family wanting a return to Scotland but I agree about the 'better' players.
Christies Child

Postby Ned » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Next season, should we operate on an 18 man squad but pay out more on better players from the financial savings of having a smaller squad?

Have we not learned anything from the much publicised League 2 survival/promotion manual as demonstrated by Darlington, Accrington, Hereford from last season etc etc. Their well tried and tested formula to cover all angles, embargos, avoid being stuck with under achievers, is to have a small squad and maximise the loan system. Was it not Dave Penny who recently stated that he had used 15 loan players this season and said this was the only logical way for the vast majority of teams in league 2 to compete.
Ned

Postby CASS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Simply Ned wrote:Next season, should we operate on an 18 man squad but pay out more on better players from the financial savings of having a smaller squad?

Have we not learned anything from the much publicised League 2 survival/promotion manual as demonstrated by Darlington, Accrington, Hereford from last season etc etc. Their well tried and tested formula to cover all angles, embargos, avoid being stuck with under achievers, is to have a small squad and maximise the loan system. Was it not Dave Penny who recently stated that he had used 15 loan players this season and said this was the only logical way for the vast majority of teams in league 2 to compete.

Good idea but then you could end up like the "Lashers" who lost around 8 players at the end of the year when loan periods ended or they where recalled. You could get away with 18 in a squad and a fair bit of luck,I think I read that Villa had only used 18 players this year,out of a small squad hence the arrival of "Bruno" and the speculation re Owen. No suggesting we get loads of loan players in is about on par with some of the other daft things you come out with.
But I am not adverse to the odd loan signing and they do sometimes contribute,Joe and the lad from Cite for example.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I think we should aim for around 19 and then leave room for a couple of loan players.

Is the current squad currently 22 at the moment?

I see Accy have just brought a lad in from Everton on loan on top of the Liverpool lad the other day.

Graham Turner at Hereford only ever offers 1 year deals and has a very small squad then uses loans great for getting out of the league but must cause a problem when he tried to build a team for this year in league 1 and all the players had gone.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby ezz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Get rid of 10 players in summer dont care who, get 2-3 good quality players and use reserve/youth teams to make up the rest of the team. We'll be in the championship in 3 years :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm

We need a well balanced squad of 20 next season as opposed to the completely disjointed squad of 24 we had for this season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm

[color=#FF0000]Get rid of 10 players in summer dont care who, get 2-3 good quality players and use reserve/youth teams to make up the rest of the team.

DITTO
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:04 am

.....and Conf days will return!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Christies Child

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:18 am

Sorry CC

I do not
understand
what it is
you get wrong
full of holes
check your pulse
blink your eyes
one for yes
two for no

you have no idea what you are talking about!!!

A little town team with hardly any fans cannot have a big squad, Colmans accrington stanley have a shit ground and a leaner meaner squad are defying the odds with nearly half our attendance good on him, and them.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

Read my original post again.

I'm suggesting a squad of 18.

However to have it made up in the main from Youth / Reserve players is a sure way to get us relegated.....in my opinion. You can't have a few experienced players carrying the rest.

If you bother to see the other Res teams at CP you'll notice that they are made up in the main of youth learning their trade. You can't afford to do that in league 2.
Last edited by Christies Child on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 am

marky wrote:We need a well balanced squad of 20 next season as opposed to the completely disjointed squad of 24 we had for this season.

24 but then including loan signings and Lewis Edge which makes 27 which is madness.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby The Marksman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with working the loan system as much as you can, that's what it's there for. However, you still need to pay the wages of the loan players, so it doesn't make a massive amount of difference versus squad size.

If we're going to have a leaner, meaner squad of 18 we would need to make sure we have as many versatile players as possible to help cover injuries and suspensions - make sure each possible position is covered by at least two players through versatility rather than numbers.
The Marksman

Postby Weetabix Kid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 am

22 - like noah's arch two of each, then use emergencie loans for any injuries were needed (ie keeper)
Weetabix Kid

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

However, you still need to pay the wages of the loan players,

That depends on the deal. Often the wages are split 50/50 between the 2 teams.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Harry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:01 pm

marky wrote:We need a well balanced squad of 20 next season as opposed to the completely disjointed squad of 24 we had for this season.

Agreed. Plus a couple of quality loans here and there to put a bit of fire up certain players' rear ends.
Harry

Postby steve mfc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Harry wrote:

Agreed. Plus a couple of quality loans here and there to put a bit of fire up certain players' rear ends.

If you want to put a bit of fire up the players rear ends, then maybe we should loan Rogan of Barrow, no only joshing.
steve mfc

Return to General Discussion