Fcats of the Matter

Fcats of the Matter

Postby admiral47 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I want to put some views forward regarding the Morecambe team as why we are not able to compete in this league:

facts:

o Only 2, possibly 3 players would get in an another league two team

o five of the outfield players are over 30

o The embargo is largely Sammy's doing- he did not need to sign 4 players that were not up to speed.

o We have no players who are able to beat the opposition for pace (think Gillingham and Accrington)

o We have the fattest and slowest team in the league (even little Garry Hunter looks to have put weight on)

o Our two central defenders are unable to play their way out of trouble.

o Our strikers get virtually no service

We would be in the bottom half of the conference if we were relegated

This was not a one off, the players simply are not good enough to compete at this level and with one exception they are all Sammy's signings !!!
admiral47

Re: Fcats of the Matter

Postby dford » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Most of your points are valid however our strikers get no service due to the formation we play 5-3-2 means no service from midfield unless it through the middle. OR we have excellent wing backs (Wainwirght, Yates, Adams etc.)
dford

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:59 pm

The facts are we have had an incredible few years and our first season in the FL was a dream with the results at Preston & Wolves and a very credible performance in the league and almost another visit to Wembley!

As has been mentioned on another thread, we have lost most of the reasons why we were succesful - Baker, Tommo, Jesus, a fit Twiss and of course a certain goalkeeper destined for much higher things. We haven't replaced those players and I think I must be the only person who thinks the only reason we beat Chesterfield was they were REALLY bad and the ref did us a favour with a few offsides - they put the ball in net when they were ONSIDE and I felt Rene was OFFSIDE when he scored - in fact I thought there were two of our players offside!

Right from the off this season when we got thumped at Forest you could see we lacked pace at the back and any one who watches us regular knows that on the deck at pace we get exposed often - look at Luton - fantastic result but for large parts of the game - especially first 15 minutes it was men against boys. Where would we be without Rene Howe I ask? - who else offers anything up front - if Peterborough call him back and it doesn't look like likely I admit - we would really be in trouble!

Don't get me wrong - keeping things in context I think we ALL should be happy to purely consoldiate our FL league status but it is vital we make up for lack of skill and pace with passion and desire and it appears that was not the case last night.

It would be so sad to see all the hard work and joy of the last few years lost but with the crowds dropping and the embargo and the season now over for us its all abouut next year now and whilst there is a lot of excitement and optomism about off the field activities it doesn't look too good on the field at present but I would rather stick with the current management set up as I feel both the board, Sammy and Mark have done wonders for Morecambe and I am backing them to continue that progress - well I'm really hoping they do!
SkinnyShrimp

Postby campdave » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 am

admiral47 wrote:
o Only 2, possibly 3 players would get in an another league two team

Could say the same about several other team's players in positions around us

o five of the outfield players are over 30

So? Does experience not count for anything

o The embargo is largely Sammy's doing- he did not need to sign 4 players that were not up to speed.

I imagine this board would have been thrilled if we'd signed no one in the summer

o We have no players who are able to beat the opposition for pace (think Gillingham and Accrington)

It's been a problem since we were in the league

o We have the fattest and slowest team in the league (even little Garry Hunter looks to have put weight on)

Opinion

o Our two central defenders are unable to play their way out of trouble.

We play three central defenders, and our best player at doing that is out injured

o Our strikers get virtually no service

Correct

We would be in the bottom half of the conference if we were relegated

Your Opinion

campdave

Return to General Discussion