Some really good football - highlights from Saturday

Some really good football - highlights from Saturday

Postby shrimper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 am

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/pag ... 55,00.html

The clips shown are a pretty fair reflection of the play.

They've not included a couple of their chances but neither is Matty Blinkhorn's great chance right at the end.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Re: Some really good football - highlights from Saturday

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Agreed, a fair reflection.

On The Football Forum Chesterfield fans seem to think the game was played between two awful sides of Sunday league standard. I certainly thought we got the ball down and played some really good stuff.

I had feared that Carltons departure would have been a step backwards, he had started to form a good partnership and understanding with Howe and other members of the team. But Twiss slotted in and played really well up front against Chesterfield. Hopefully he is given a run in that role, as in the past he has often been put on the right wing. As a result is not in the game enough and his abilities are negated.
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Looked to be a good performance and have to agree about Mr T.

Wasted when put out on the wing. Play him as the central striker with Rene just behind exploiting the space with his trickery.

Was that 5 red shirts I saw in their box when Rene scored????

If so Sammy and Mark must have done a lot of work with the squad last week
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 am

Was'nt just red shirts, it was red shirts with blue shorts! Worn before I believe? Let's wear 'em again please :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 am

Christies Child wrote:Was that 5 red shirts I saw in their box when Rene scored????

If so Sammy and Mark must have done a lot of work with the squad last week

Don't assume we were pouring lots of men forward, though. That goal came shortly after they failed to clear a free-kick properly, so we still had players in their area.

Generally, though, I thought we WERE a bit more forward-thinking. Twissy frustrated me a bit against Gillingham by frequently holding the ball up and turning back to find his own midfielders when he had the space to push on and start an attack.

Maybe that was just him playing to instructions as - in the striking role - he looked to bomb on every time he got the ball.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Freez » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Interestingly though, at 2-1 up with a few minutes left both Wainers and Yatesy were bombing on looking for a third goal to seal the win. This is an adventurous way to play. We did the same thing at Pork Vale but lost, did it at Chesterfield and won, so 3 points. Had we held on and withdrawn to defend at the pair, maybe 2 points! So it has paid off.

However, there is very little between the teams in 4th and 20th in terms of ability from what we have seen, the difference appears to be in outlook, so lets stay positive.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Freez wrote:Interestingly though, at 2-1 up with a few minutes left both Wainers and Yatesy were bombing on looking for a third goal to seal the win. This is an adventurous way to play. We did the same thing at Pork Vale but lost, did it at Chesterfield and won, so 3 points. Had we held on and withdrawn to defend at the pair, maybe 2 points! So it has paid off.

However, there is very little between the teams in 4th and 20th in terms of ability from what we have seen, the difference appears to be in outlook, so lets stay positive.

:? :?
morecambe mick

Postby Freez » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 pm

Fair cop.

Was alluding to JH's (and sometimes Sammy's) tendency to get a goal and sit on it. It would have been easy on Saturday, having let them back in to it, to have sat back and taken a point, but thankfully we remained fully committed to attacking and rightfully took the 3 points that were there for the taking.

Phew.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Return to General Discussion