O/T Fuel Prices, Asda, Shell, etc

O/T Fuel Prices, Asda, Shell, etc

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Rather than hijack the football thread, best start a new one for somethig that hits most of our pockets

Staying o/t I was a bit p*ssed of with the letter I got from ASDA Credit Card, cutting all the discounts/points you got on it, might research a new card for Petrol as I like Mark like to pay for my petrol on one card and pay it off each month...

I was annoyed as well, didn't they write to use late last year when they announced the new card to say we wouldn't be losing our benefits?

2p/ltr is worth going out of your way but 1p/ltr maybe not so worth it. I'll probably continue with Asda for the sole reason that their prices are consistent across the country and I have always found them to be the cheapest. Throw in an Asda Fuel POI file for tomtom and it's ability to navigate to a POI on route and I rarely have to go more than a mile out of my way to find an Asda garage, most of them with out-of-hours credit card pumps.

Let us know if you find anything worth going for.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Re: O/T Fuel Prices, Asda, Shell, etc

Postby wonder shrimp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:33 pm

FWIW i'm on barclaycard platinum (despite the name i think that this is their entry level card) and it gives me 2% cashback on petrol and supermarket purchases.
wonder shrimp

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I am still looking for discounted fuel, ways and means

I also have the asda credit card but did not get a letter, I got an email

for the sake of 40p when filling up I will be closing the credit account.
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm

I am in light haulage and use Morrisons for fuel

apart from the credit, you get a card that racks up points towards a £5.00 shopping voucher

If you save em up you get a free xmas shop

My mate and i also have a susans pie bet on what outlandish colour the girl behind the counter has dyed her hair!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby skyecat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am

I looked at my fuel receipts after readfing this thread and I still get 2p off per litre with Asda`s credit card - when is it supposed to be going down to 1p off?
I also hear dthat the reason why Asda is generally cheaper than most other places is that their fuel doesn`t have the additives and cleaning agents in it like Shell for instance - but I still use it as I have a company car and it`s 7years old and covered over 116,000 miles!
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:31 am

I looked at my fuel receipts after readfing this thread and I still get 2p off per litre with Asda`s credit card - when is it supposed to be going down to 1p off?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/318142/a ... t-on-it-s/
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Number 1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:46 am

Where possible, I always try and fill up at Shell Caton Road. Usually the cheapest, and it seems to last longer that ASDA or Morrisons.
Number 1

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:04 am

Didn't know about the Shell credit card, it looks quite good. 3% cashback when used to by Shell fuel and 1% cashback on everything else. I'll be applying and closing my Asda card when the Asda rate drops to 1p/ltr. (2p/ltr with fuel at 84.9 is about 2.35% discount)

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr ... _0107.html
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Mark S » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Gnasher wrote:Didn't know about the Shell credit card, it looks quite good. 3% cashback when used to by Shell fuel and 1% cashback on everything else. I'll be applying and closing my Asda card when the Asda rate drops to 1p/ltr. (2p/ltr with fuel at 84.9 is about 2.35% discount)

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr ... _0107.html

:D You know it makes sense!

And dont ferget to pick up your shell points card. The amount of miles you do you should be able to accumulate quite a few air miles! ;)
Mark S

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Card on it's way. Going to close the Asda card, got 3 other cards already plus a company card :roll:

If you spend a lot of money on credit cards and always pay them off, someone once told me to have a card for each week. Not easy to explain but basically you request payment dates for each card to be as far away as possible from the week of the month you decide to use them. E.g. Card A you use in the first week of the month and ask the card company to make the statement date the last day of the month. Card B you use in the second week of the month and ask the card company to make the statement date around the 7th of the month. Etc. That way you get at least 3 weeks credit + however many days they give you to pay the statement, often 6 weeks free credit. I knew someone that did went to all the trouble of doing it (not me!).
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Those of you who have company cars like myself, probably have to pay your company for the personal petrol used (did work for a company who put ALL the petrol in the car for its staff but we got slaughtered tax wise)).

I now have to pay for the petrol and then I'm reimbursed at the end of each week which means that I don't have to run up a monthly petrol account.

My rate is 12.5 per mile for all company mileage.

What rate do others get?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Anyone who uses their own car for business, do some research on a P87 claim form, link below.

If you claim less than 40p per mile to use your own car for work then you can get money back off the tax man. Let's say you do 11,000 miles and you are paid 19p/mile. You will get tax relief on (10,000 * (0.40 - 0.19)) + (1,000 * (0.25 - 0.19)). I use my own car for work, did 11,000 business miles last financial year and the tax man gave me a cheque for £500.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:56 pm

My accountant once told me to always opt for a company car if i did over 18,000 miles a year. As somebody who clocks over 52,000 miles a year, the company car has its advantages. But whichever way you choose, the tax man usually gets his share!

HOWEVER with the issuing of new codes being sent out this week just check on the car benefit section.

I checked mine out and found that the tax people were overcharging me for my current vehicle make and model. As a result of questioning their figues I gained a further £2000 in allowance. Had i not taken the time to check it out, I'd have lost some money due to me.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 pm

skyecat wrote:I looked at my fuel receipts after readfing this thread and I still get 2p off per litre with Asda`s credit card - when is it supposed to be going down to 1p off?
I also hear dthat the reason why Asda is generally cheaper than most other places is that their fuel doesn`t have the additives and cleaning agents in it like Shell for instance - but I still use it as I have a company car and it`s 7years old and covered over 116,000 miles!

Yes I have heared that supermarket perol is not meant to be as good the likes of Shell, BP etc but as I don't have a high performance car I don't bother about it. That's maybe why Number 1 finds his petrol lasts longer from Shell.
I thought supermarkets were cheapest as they run it so they hardly make a profit on it as the petrol station is more there as an extra service so you will go into the shop while your there.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Sammy h » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:27 am

11p a mile i get.

Normally card companies give you 8 weeks free credit.
Sammy h

Postby skyecat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 am

we get 12p per mile.
I cover about 15,000 miles just to get to and from work and about another 12,000 personal use - I would love a diesel - if only to stop me having to fill up about every 4 days but work don`t seem too bothered about replacing any car, let alone for a diesel!
I can understand that though! - particularly in todays climate!
Still, it`s cheaper than running a car myself - although, my 2 litre 16v xantia estate was certainly more spacious, comfortable and believe it or not, economical than my 1.6 astra!
Still, I don`t pay for this one - at least, not that much anyway!
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby Gnasher » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 am

We get an allowance plus so much per mile to use our own cars. Diesel owners get 2p less per mile. When I bought new 2 years ago, taking all costs into account, the total cost over 4 years was more expensive buying a diesel car. The initial extra cost for a diesel engines car plus service intervals half that of the petrol engine offset any benefit the better fuel consumption gave.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Return to General Discussion