Major club announcement Tuesday am

Re: Major club announcement Tuesday am

Postby Gnasher » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 pm

There will be objections, even from supporters who live on the doorsteps of CP

Quite a statement, dad didn't mention you'd been canvassing the neighbourhood for opinions. The locals I know living right on the doorstep of Sainsburys Park are looking forward to it. Given the choice, I think mum would have preferred Tesco.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 pm

What I, and, no doubt, probably one other person wants to know is.....

Did Peter McGuigan get Airmiles or Nectar points, and are people who "bought" shares in the club entitled to a proportional share of these Airmiles/Nectar points?

:lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby campdave » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 am

John L wrote:Maybe a future beckons for the former Esso filling station down the road, either as a relocated car wash (with filling station as a business expansion?) or as a satellite location for a Sainsbury's-owned filling station?

Would doubt it would be a Snozzburies station, I think most supermarkets run their filling stations at close to cost on the hope that people will fill up and then pop to the shops. Tesco haven't been interested in buying the old Safeway one at Carnforth.
campdave

Postby John L » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 pm

campdave wrote:Tesco haven't been interested in buying the old Safeway one at Carnforth.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, but as far as I recall the filling station was subsequently bought by Booths (when Tesco bought the superstore?) with the intention of demolition to make way for a remodelled road junction (roundabout?) and larger car park?
John L

Postby Mark S » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Further O/T I dont see them as cheap either nowadays.

ASDA is selling Diesel at 96.9p a litre. Exactly the same price as the Shell station on Caton Rd (and you get Air Miles there). What I do is have a Shell Credit card which gives 3p in the pound rebate and set it up to pay off every month. I get my Diesel for around 3p cheaper than at ASDA.
Mark S

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Staying O/T, The good thing about Asda is the price is the same nationwide, you can't say that about Shell (Shell in Maidstone yesterday 87.9/ltr), and they are always the cheapest or as cheap as anywhere else. Paying with an Asda credit card gives you 2p/ltr discount at the pump. The bad thing is they have launched a new credit card with less benefits and for those with the old cards, the discount is being cut to 1p/ltr but they're still cheap and it saves hunting around.

What I don't like about Shell Caton Rd is the queuing to get in whereas Asda is close to home with more pumps so less queues.
Last edited by Gnasher on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 pm

A fantastic announcement for the club and the local area, hats off to the board yet again.

The directors seemed extremely pleased and confident that this deal would pay for the stadium project in its entirety (I take it that includes all the retail outlets? etc?). Have we actually received any money for the sale of CP, or have Sainsburys agreed to foot the bill to relocate the and build us the new stadium with its surroundings, whatever the cost? I only ask because if we had made a sale a year ago, how come we have had an embargo slapped on us?

Also, I know the Visotor have mentioned this, can we now go to the Football league and request that the embargo be lifted? With all that has been announced over the last few days we are probably the most financial stable club at this level now. Kaka's arrival could be imminent.
RedRedWine1

Postby Mark S » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Gnasher wrote:Staying O/T, The good thing about Asda is the price is the same nationwide, you can't say that about Shell, and they are always the cheapest or as cheap as anywhere else. Paying with an Asda credit card gives you 2p/ltr discount at the pump. The bad thing is they have launched a new credit card with less benefits and for those with the old cards, the discount is being cut to 1p/ltr but they're still cheap and it saves hunting around.

What I don't like about Shell Caton Rd is the queuing to get in whereas Asda is close to home with more pumps so less queues.

No queues at 6am :(

I have not yet been to the 'New' ASDA petrol station and not queued behind some idiot that cant read instructions yet! :lol:
Mark S

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Asda's quiet at 6am as well. There's some basic rules to follow not to get behind someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Avoid anyone who;

Drives anything the size of a Ka jacked up to look like a people carrier, Honda Jazz for example

Wears a trilby hat (dad taught me that 30 years ago :lol: )

Has a white "cricketers" hat on the back shelf

Has a passenger who looks left for the driver at a junction

The rules apply all day every day, not just at petrol stations :lol:
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby CASS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Just getting back to the Theme of this thread for a moment if I may...I have trawled both BBC
sport and BBC Lancashire and not a word has been published,I hear that Granada had a slot last night (only heard, was down the "Sausage") and I am certain my new chum Gilly will have mentioned it at some point on his show,yet our great news for M.F.C. and the town has been
by passed... an artical on some team out in the marshes but nothing about a massive investment in Morecambe. Oi Gilly avaword mate.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby marky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:02 pm

It often takes the BBC site a couple of days to catch up on local news. There are things published in the local Newcastle papers which will suddenly appear on there 2 days later.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm

RedRedWine wrote:A fantastic announcement for the club and the local area, hats off to the board yet again.

The directors seemed extremely pleased and confident that this deal would pay for the stadium project in its entirety (I take it that includes all the retail outlets? etc?). Have we actually received any money for the sale of CP, or have Sainsburys agreed to foot the bill to relocate the and build us the new stadium with its surroundings, whatever the cost? I only ask because if we had made a sale a year ago, how come we have had an embargo slapped on us?

Also, I know the Visotor have mentioned this, can we now go to the Football league and request that the embargo be lifted? With all that has been announced over the last few days we are probably the most financial stable club at this level now. Kaka's arrival could be imminent.

I'm not party to the dealings, of course, but I imagine the hesitation in announcing the cash and submitting it as part of the 'mitigation' to the Football League at embargo time will have been borne of caution.

I'm pretty sure that there were a couple of bits of paperwork that were taking a bit of sorting out at the 'other' end of the deal - the move to Westgate and the move of Westgate Wanderers to Lordsome Road.

I think the cash was agreed in principle - it may even have been deposited somewhere - but the club wouldn't be able to act, or even consider it 'theirs' until they knew 100% that the rest of the paperwork had been completed.

If some snag had held that up longer - or even jeopardised the whole move - then it would have put the whole thing up in the air.

Now it's all sorted then they can count the money and - from what Peter McGuigan was saying - may go back to the League and plead their case.

He did say, though, that it may be a scenario the League hasn't had to deal with before.

Their salary rules are there for very good reasons but the main one is to stop clubs getting themselves into big debt and having to fold.
You'd think, then, that allowing us to put a bit of money into the playing side when we clearly now have the financial ability (and long into the future) to do that safely - without taking loans from rich directors (which is where the danger may lie) - falls well within the League's priorities and should be allowed.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby John L » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Cass, it was reported on Radio Lancs sport show last night and briefly on sports bulletins this morning.
John L

Postby Posh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 pm

John L wrote:Cass, it was reported on Radio Lancs sport show last night and briefly on sports bulletins this morning.

Also reported in the regional BBC bulletin at 10.25 last night.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:02 pm

great news for the club :D
heysham_mfc

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Great news but if they get permission to re-submit their figures to lift the embargo they can only count 60% of the money. Now, who can we get for 60% of a few million :lol:
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Weetabix Kid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Gnasher wrote:Staying O/T, The good thing about Asda is the price is the same nationwide, you can't say that about Shell (Shell in Maidstone yesterday 87.9/ltr), and they are always the cheapest or as cheap as anywhere else. Paying with an Asda credit card gives you 2p/ltr discount at the pump. The bad thing is they have launched a new credit card with less benefits and for those with the old cards, the discount is being cut to 1p/ltr but they're still cheap and it saves hunting around.

Staying o/t I was a bit p*ssed of with the letter I got from ASDA Credit Card, cutting all the discounts/points you got on it, might research a new card for Petrol as I like Mark like to pay for my petrol on one card and pay it off each month...

anyways...happy about the ground !!!!
Weetabix Kid

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Quite excellent coverage on the ITV local news at 6pm last night. A real in depth interview with Peter and even a play of the new ground video.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Harry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Did you sky plus it?

Or does anyone know if the clip is online anywhere?
Harry

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Harry wrote:Did you sky plus it?

Or does anyone know if the clip is online anywhere?

It is usually on again at around 10.30pm, succeeding News at Ten, and preceding the weather with Kerrie Gosney :twisted:
Bare Ben

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Sainsburys have set their PR team into action quickly, residents down Christie Ave received letters today asking them if they want to discuss anything about the new store,
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 pm

I was on my gold bond round tonight in that area and everyone seemed happy. Although the people I go to are intrested in the football club so it probably isn't a fair reflection on the general area.

Will still be suprised if the council agree to a supermarket in a residentil area when they said they would like CP to be a residential area to fit in more with the local area.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Will still be suprised if the council agree to a supermarket in a residentil area when they said they would like CP to be a residential area to fit in more with the local area.

Good to hear from someone that's spoken to supporters on the club doorstep and come away with a positive impression. My parents live on the doorstep and my non-football partner (unless there's some decent shopping near an away game) half way down the drive (Christie Ave), they don't have a problem with a Sainsburys store.

Sainsburys must be confident, signing the deal without planning permission is an expensive risk. No doubt they've had quite a few what-if discussions with the planners - not unusual in these sort of circumstances.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby John L » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Interesting to read http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18802 about us, although Birstall White's last sentence seems rather misguided - but then he is a Leeds fan!!! :lol:
John L

Postby marky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 pm

I *think* I know Watfordonian, the OP in that thread! The only reason he knew about it was because I told him :lol:
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Previous

Return to General Discussion