Income Generation

Income Generation

Postby Jon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:48 am

I have read like many others of the transfer embargo and one of the reasons being low attendances and requiring more income. First I have to say that I am right behind the rule - if it stops us going the way of so many other clubs then I am all for it. The question however is how far over the 60% threshold are we?

Anyways the point of this note is to put forward a couple of ideas to increase income:
1. Play more Friday night home games
2. Open the new stadium mid next season

1. It is a well known fact our attendances suffer due to the proximity of other clubs eg Preston, Blackpool, Blackburn etc. So to avoid this Friday playing would be a way forward. In addition with many other league clubs being in Lancashire / Yorkshire travel is not so much of an issue so this could attract more of them too. (Compare that with Brentford on a Tuesday night which is ridiculous, so it should only be done when we play northern clubs).

2. The new stadium is meant to provide income from additional sources eg new bar, boxes, hospitality, hotel. Why then don't we do what Doncaster did? Open mid-season and start generating the income early. We may also attract players if they know we have a new stadium on the horizon in the near future.

The old rules need to be got away from and the club needs to be more creative in its thinking going forward.
Jon

Re: Income Generation

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:10 pm

am all up for that one, but do we have a say in it, or do the league tells us when we can play i don't know?
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Jon wrote:2. Open the new stadium mid next season

Even if it's not finished? I thought building work was only starting in March?
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:19 pm

DawZi wrote:

am all up for that one, but do we have a say in it, or do the league tells us when we can play i don't know?

Great idea...but look at the gates for the few Tuesday night games we have...not very encouraging.

It's OK thinking that 'the weekend starts here' ie CP but I can't see other clubs fans coming down on a Friday. Loyalty to your club means just that.

If you supported PNE (ugh!) first and foremost would you come to CP on a Friday?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:34 pm

I think the produce your season ticket for another club and get in for half price needs some serious thought due to the amount of Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool etc fans we have around here. I am sure they tried it at Bury a few years ago I wonder how well it worked.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I think the produce your season ticket for another club and get in for half price needs some serious thought due to the amount of Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool etc fans we have around here. I am sure they tried it at Bury a few years ago I wonder how well it worked.

With a couple of mid week games coming up maybe worth a try.

Could be subject to abuse?
Christies Child

Postby CASS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:53 pm

You know, I wonder if someone sat down with the fixtures after they have been generated and made them more realistic, it would promote better attendance. Bournmouth and Brentford away mid-week is hardly logical and good for no one a bit of tipex would improve attendance midweek
whilst almost certainly improving the options for traveling fans at weekends
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Gnasher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:06 pm

It's OK thinking that 'the weekend starts here'

I don't think the only one who works away during the week. My weekend starts whenever I get back from wherever on a friday night, some "weekends" I wouldn't even make the final whistle.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Gnasher wrote:It's OK thinking that 'the weekend starts here'

I don't think the only one who works away during the week. My weekend starts whenever I get back from wherever on a friday night, some "weekends" I wouldn't even make the final whistle.

Translation please... ;) ;) ;)
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Try "I don't think I'm the only one who works......

We all make mistakes Neil!
morecambe mick

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

morecambe mick wrote:Try "I don't think I'm the only one who works......

We all make mistakes Neil!

..nobody knows that better than me!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Christies Child

Postby CASS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Gnasher wrote:It's OK thinking that 'the weekend starts here'

Translation please... ;) ;) ;)

I think Gnasher agrees with you CC (No I must be wrong :oops: )
CASS

Postby Gnasher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 pm

I think Gnasher agrees with you CC (No I must be wrong )

You're wrong :lol: My point is the weekend does not start friday tea-time for a lot of people. It would also be true to say a lot of people work what is accepted as weekend, friday and saturday. For those people, "weekend" is whatever 2 days they get off during the 7.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Gnasher wrote:I think Gnasher agrees with you CC (No I must be wrong )

You're wrong :lol: My point is the weekend does not start friday tea-time for a lot of people. It would also be true to say a lot of people work what is accepted as weekend, friday and saturday. For those people, "weekend" is whatever 2 days they get off during the 7.

Ooops...silly me

Of course Gnasher is ALWAYS right!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby CASS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Gnasher wrote:I think Gnasher agrees with you CC (No I must be wrong )

I knew it !! :D But I do know what you are on about ..being a shift worker for longer than I care to remember a weekend can be "any 2 days" I was at work till 22.00hrs on Friday now I am off till a week on Monday when I will be working for 3 weeks with one day off :(
CASS

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Christies Child wrote:
DawZi wrote:

Great idea...but look at the gates for the few Tuesday night games we have...not very encouraging.

It's OK thinking that 'the weekend starts here' ie CP but I can't see other clubs fans coming down on a Friday. Loyalty to your club means just that.

If you supported PNE (ugh!) first and foremost would you come to CP on a Friday?

i can see what your saying, but tuesday is midweek, and for a lot of people friday is the start of the weekend, and a lot of people do finish work early
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm

My only problem with the Firda night home match is your forgetting the away fans who travel here, its alot harder to do on a friday night surely than a saturday afternoon. Seeing that alot of our increased attendances come from larger away support i'd have thought we'd lose more in away figuers than gain in home figures? ? ?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:42 pm

ezz wrote:My only problem with the Firda night home match is your forgetting the away fans who travel here, its alot harder to do on a friday night surely than a saturday afternoon. Seeing that alot of our increased attendances come from larger away support i'd have thought we'd lose more in away figuers than gain in home figures? ? ?

to true, but it's a case of trying to bread future morecambe supporters, should maybe try a kids can come free with a parent system, so it becomes part of there future routine
George Dawes

Postby Gnasher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 pm

At one time my neighbour managed the George, his "weekend" was Monday/Tuesday. Back to a serious note.

1. You'd have to pick some close teams to get any away fans in. If you're going to play close teams on a Friday, who do you play on Tuesday's? We've seen the problem of playing Bournemouth on a Tuesday, few can go and the rest moan about it - that's what we'd get from the opposition. There's nothing wrong with saturday's but I'd like to see kick-off times adjusted for the light, maybe some 1pm starts rather than 3. Floodlights aren't cheap to run!

2. The stadium will be open as soon as possible, the latest it can be open (or changes made to CP) is the start of the 2010/11 season. (It will probably have to be up to match standard and inspected well before the 2010/11 season actually starts). Whatever, it's going to be close.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:09 pm

or try some Sunday matches?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby CASS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:18 pm

The real Generator is table position and lot's of goals for. Sunday is a fine idea but I wonder if there would be some out dated rules. Seems to me that the football league could do more with fixtures,make them more attractive with regard to travel. Sundays I have no doubt bring along
more fans. I quite like the idea of early K.O. as well.
CASS

Postby Weetabix Kid » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Keith wrote:or try some Sunday matches?

Thats what I think as well, get more of the lads that play Saturday football in then as well, Friday nights are for drinking...
Weetabix Kid

Postby sgt major » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes Gnasher - My weekends are Mon/Tues as well ;)

Sundays would be tricky because of Sky TV. If they have these "Monster Sunday wekends with Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool playing against each other in any permatation it would greatly affect any attendances at CP because as we all know, there are more Man U and Liverpool fans in this town than Morecambe.

I'm sorry to say the only way you will get more people to come and watch is have a successful WINNING team - nothing more, nothing less!!
sgt major

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

sgt major wrote:Yes Gnasher - My weekends are Mon/Tues as well ;)

Sundays would be tricky because of Sky TV. If they have these "Monster Sunday wekends with Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool playing against each other in any permatation it would greatly affect any attendances at CP because as we all know, there are more Man U and Liverpool fans in this town than Morecambe.

I'm sorry to say the only way you will get more people to come and watch is have a successful WINNING team - nothing more, nothing less!!

..and play attractive attacking football!
Christies Child

Postby Aspers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Everyone in Morecambe knows we have a football team.
Unfortunately not everyone knows when the matches are on.
This is due to lethargy in the community so we have to shove it down their throats.
A car with MFC all over it and a louspeaker (similar to what poliies do) with someone driving around town telling people to get to Christie park. Every Friday and also Saturday mornings early, wake people up.

2 tanks o petrol and a couple of volunteers, should pay for itself in no time.
Aspers

Next

Return to General Discussion