Title charge

Title charge

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:18 pm

I know only 6 games in but we've played superb in every game and very unlucky not to have more points ! Can we mount a title charge with our current squad ?
Kendalshrimp

Re: Title charge

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Title - no... playoffs, why not, we always get excited before the clocks go back
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Pablo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Hoping for play offs. The balls in our court, so to speak. No own goals allowed.
Another trip down Wembley way will do very nicely.
Let's keep our feet on the ground though. 40 games left.
Long roller coaster ahead :?: :?:
Up the football league we go
Pablo

Location: At the end of the yellow brick road with a set of crutches

Postby black morse » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:22 pm

It's too early to start getting excited about promotion. Let us just enjoy the moment. The thing I find really satisfying is that a year ago...IF we had come back from 2-0 down to get to 2-2 we would probably have sat back and played deep for a point.....we certainly would have gone on the defence if we had gone 3-2 up but today we kept attacking and attacking with a team that looked as if it was enjoying it.
Has the holy grail of clean sheets been swept away with the certainty that, even if we concede a goal, we can score more than the opposition. Is this not exactly what we have been asking for for quite a few years? Well we now seem to have a team that can carry it off.

Enjoy the moment :D
black morse

Postby George Dawes » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 pm

i expected a good start to this season, but I fear another Mansfield scenario like last season, and then setting the team up, so not to concede goals for the remainder of the season.

mid table, unless we get a striker on loan who can bang em in, cant expect the midfielders to do all the scoring all season long.
George Dawes

Postby Teams like Morecambe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:55 pm

This is very exciting. It's Kevin Keegan football at its finest. We are conceding goals but if we're scoring 4 who cares! We have some very special players, Wildig and Devitt most notably who could play at a higher level. Redshaw would score 20 goals a season in this team. I just hope Jim keeps pushing this philosophy and that we don't crumble like we did last winter. I remember the games Exeter (h), Accy (a), Dover (a) were excruciatingly painful. It's hardly surprising we took 104 to Yeovil given the entertainment value that's on offer at the moment.
Teams like Morecambe

Postby Posh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:01 pm

It's right to not get over excited. We've topped the league at this stage of the season a few times under Jimbo.

However I do think this season could be different. 11 goals in three league games shows we don't need another striker, however good it would be to get one. We've also got pace, which we haven't had before under Jim to any great degree.

The most important thing for me though is that we're setup better for League 2. Home teams push forward more and as we've shown at Portsmouth, Yeovil and Hartlepool we've shown we can break well and create chances. However at home I think we look more resilient to take on other teams doing the same. A good established defence with Goodall and Kenyon playing well in front of them, and a pacy midfield and forward line looking to breakup play constantly.

The challenge comes when winter does. Pitches are in good nick for flowing football but it doesn't last and we lack height if teams play more direct. However when we'll need a bit of grit Murphy will be back.

We can mount a challenge and hopefully keep enjoying some more exciting football.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 am

Teams like Morecambe wrote:This is very exciting. It's Jim Harvey football at its finest.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Well, all last season we were asking for entertainment, and we're getting that. And we agreed that floating fans will watch boring football that is successful or entertaining football, but what they really want is successful, entertaining football. We're getting that in spades now, so lets hope the fickle fans return to support Jim & the lads!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:56 am

Keith wrote:
Teams like Morecambe wrote:This is very exciting. It's Jim Harvey football at its finest.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Well, all last season we were asking for entertainment, and we're getting that. And we agreed that floating fans will watch boring football that is successful or entertaining football, but what they really want is successful, entertaining football. We're getting that in spades now, so lets hope the fickle fans return to support Jim & the lads!

Win at Newport and we might begin to find out against Northampton.
black morse

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:42 am

For the first time since getting into the league I am enjoying the football. From preseason it has been obvious we have the pace to trouble other teams. Coupled with lads who aren't afraid to to belt the ball goalwards it's vastly entertaining. Win, lose or draw I prefer to be entertained than watch 90 minutes of hoofball.

Bets placed on us to get promoted and a hugely optimistic punt on us to win the title see me putting my money where.....

However, I think our squad is still too small to steamroller the league but we can get into the play-offs because the quality of players and balance of the team is far superior to anything we have seen since Wembley.

Have to add that Roche seems to be an improved keeper after his year off, I have confidence in him once again.

Whatever Jim is doing he is getting it right more often than not and deserves my applause after giving him some stick last season.
Caged Lion

Postby black morse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:24 am

Caged Lion wrote:For the first time since getting into the league I am enjoying the football. From preseason it has been obvious we have the pace to trouble other teams. Coupled with lads who aren't afraid to to belt the ball goalwards it's vastly entertaining. Win, lose or draw I prefer to be entertained than watch 90 minutes of hoofball.

Bets placed on us to get promoted and a hugely optimistic punt on us to win the title see me putting my money where.....

However, I think our squad is still too small to steamroller the league but we can get into the play-offs because the quality of players and balance of the team is far superior to anything we have seen since Wembley.

Have to add that Roche seems to be an improved keeper after his year off, I have confidence in him once again.

Whatever Jim is doing he is getting it right more often than not and deserves my applause after giving him some stick last season.

I thought his substitutions on Saturday worked perfectly.
black morse

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:17 pm

black morse wrote:
Keith wrote:

8-) 8-) 8-)

Win at Newport and we might begin to find out against Northampton.

Exactly what I was thinking / am hoping !!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Jack Redshaw has had a bet with his mate that Morecambe will finish in the top 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noMbkDhL-Eg#t=57
marky No.1

Postby ChrisC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Have to add that Roche seems to be an improved keeper after his year off, I have confidence in him once again

Completely agree. Different player. I was pessimistic about how he would perform but I think he is performing head and shoulders above last 3 seasons
ChrisC

Postby Dan.Campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Have to add that Roche seems to be an improved keeper after his year off, I have confidence in him once again

Completely agree. Different player. I was pessimistic about how he would perform but I think he is performing head and shoulders above last 3 seasons

It's refreshing to see his distribution has improved, he always seems to roll the ball out which is enabling us to play from the back - the sign of a decent passing team.
Dan.Campbell

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 am

A nice ,genuine lad,with his feet on thevground, last season i parked in the carpark, i was entering the ground and heard a voice ''hey mate'' , it was jack, he had run after me to tell me that i left a window open on my car, cheers jack and good luck !
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby halftimeresults » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 am

One thing that I'm loving is the more positive attitude from the fans!
Last season we played the punching above our weight card too much and reckon that filters down to the team!
Accrington always talk about the play-offs!
We usually get told to keep our expectations in check but if other managers are saying Morecambe will make the play-offs then it's hard not to get carried away!
So tell your friends!
We're on the playoff charge!
halftimeresults

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:18 am

Picture the scene - Hodgies boot laces have been untied from that big rock in the ground and he can now be seen floating off across the bay :lol:

Sounds like he's been on a new ride at Alton Towers
marky No.1

Postby halftimeresults » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am

marky No.1 wrote:Picture the scene - Hodgies boot laces have been untied from that big rock in the ground and he can now be seen floating off across the bay :lol:

Haven't you got any caravans to sell? #stopthecyberbully
halftimeresults

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm

halftimeresults wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Picture the scene - Hodgies boot laces have been untied from that big rock in the ground and he can now be seen floating off across the bay :lol:

Haven't you got any caravans to sell? #stopthecyberbully

What size would you like? I have your bank details, can deliver on the way home
marky No.1

Postby Kendalshrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:52 pm

halftimeresults wrote:One thing that I'm loving is the more positive attitude from the fans!
Last season we played the punching above our weight card too much and reckon that filters down to the team!
We usually get told to keep our expectations in check but if other managers are saying Morecambe will make the play-offs then it's hard not to get carried away!
So tell your friends!

Funny enough the game we've been on the back foot for most of the game was probably Accrington at home ! If we can tighten up abit in defence and keep finding the net like we have in recent games then I'm confident we'll finish in the top 7 comfortably. Need to keep using Kev as a impact player tho rather than starting every week. Him getting suspended was a blessing in disguise !
Kendalshrimp

Postby black morse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Kendalshrimp wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:One thing that I'm loving is the more positive attitude from the fans!
So tell your friends!

Funny enough the game we've been on the back foot for most of the game was probably Accrington at home ! If we can tighten up abit in defence and keep finding the net like we have in recent games then I'm confident we'll finish in the top 7 comfortably. Need to keep using Kev as a impact player tho rather than starting every week. Him getting suspended was a blessing in disguise !

Many managers are talking about 'cutting out silly mistakes' but everybody makes mistakes sometimes, the trouble is that a mistake in defence can often lead to giving a goal away. Tightening up at the back must often mean getting more bodies back there. Our lads are working really hard and can't be everywhere. If they are back in defence it means breaking fast to get on the attack and from what I saw and hear on here they are doing that already. Tend to agree about Kev but he was much sharper on Saturday than the last couple of times I've seen him.
black morse

Postby Kendalshrimp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:10 pm

black morse wrote:
Kendalshrimp wrote:
We usually get told to keep our expectations in check but if other managers are saying Morecambe will[/b]make the play-offs then it's hard not to get carried away!
So tell your friends!

Many managers are talking about 'cutting out silly mistakes' but everybody makes mistakes sometimes, the trouble is that a mistake in defence can often lead to giving a goal away. Tightening up at the back must often mean getting more bodies back there. Our lads are working really hard and can't be everywhere. If they are back in defence it means breaking fast to get on the attack and from what I saw and hear on here they are doing that already. Tend to agree about Kev but he was much sharper on Saturday than the last couple of times I've seen him .

Same team should start tomorrow if Miller can add goals to his game then we've got a serious strike force at this level. Hope to see Ellison be used as a squad player this season if I'm honest !
Kendalshrimp

Postby ezz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:28 am

Generally as a rule we always start off well. If we win a couple of matches after Christmas for once then bump this thread
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion