V Sheffield United

Re: V Sheffield United

Postby RedRedWine » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 pm

underbank wrote:Stunning performance by Goodall, who, if there is any justice, must have secured a regular starting place pending Murphy's return.

I mentioned earlier that I thought Goodall had a good game. I think we would have released him had his number of appearances last year not triggered a clause in his contract that gave him a second year, but he could be a valuable player for the system Jimbo wants to play now that Murphy is injured. Goodall also started last season well but dropped away a little when we tried him at left back after Wilson had personal issues to deal with.

We should chant his name to the tune of you can call me al by Paul Simon.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby parceldave » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Christies Child wrote:What is it about corners and our inability to defend them?. This is a problem that we've had on going for a number of seasons. Thought we played very well but for me allowed them too much room all overview pitch. Goodall was outstanding and must be regarded as a replacement for the skipper. Up front we badly need someone who is prepared to have a shot and put his head where it hurts. I was hoping that Jim would have used Jack Ryan who looks as though he can handle himself and could have caused their back line somecphysical problems. Miller is too lightweight for me although he probably came closest to scoring othercthan Lee's free kick.

Overall a good display but I feel Jim needs to be a bit more ruthless in his substitutions and give the young lad a chnce rather than Kevin who contributed very little when he came on.

We have an inability to attack corners also Neil , all bunched up in the middle and nobody attacking the back post area where Jimbo and Artell were in the past very effective.

Agree it was a good display in fact very good at times but also very frustrating when there's no end product . Both Beeley and Devitt guilty of not testing a dodgy keeper who was given an easy ride in the second half after flapping at everything in the first. Need a confidence boost soon and lets hope we can end the 12yr voodoo on Saturday with a hatful.
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:42 pm

parceldave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:What is it about corners and our inability to defend them?. This is a problem that we've had on going for a number of seasons. Thought we played very well but for me allowed them too much room all overview pitch. Goodall was outstanding and must be regarded as a replacement for the skipper. Up front we badly need someone who is prepared to have a shot and put his head where it hurts. I was hoping that Jim would have used Jack Ryan who looks as though he can handle himself and could have caused their back line somecphysical problems. Miller is too lightweight for me although he probably came closest to scoring othercthan Lee's free kick.

Overall a good display but I feel Jim needs to be a bit more ruthless in his substitutions and give the young lad a chnce rather than Kevin who contributed very little when he came on.

We have an inability to attack corners also Neil , all bunched up in the middle and nobody attacking the back post area where Jimbo and Artell were in the past very effective.

Agree it was a good display in fact very good at times but also very frustrating when there's no end product . Both Beeley and Devitt guilty of not testing a dodgy keeper who was given an easy ride in the second half after flapping at everything in the first. Need a confidence boost soon and lets hope we can end the 12yr voodoo on Saturday with a hatful.

If only some stats could be produced to show how few goals we've scored from corners as opposed to those we've had scored against us. It would probably prove our inability at both ends.

However last season we scored a bag full more than usual from open play.....so one could say that it balances itself out over a season but just imagine where we could be if we could be just that bit more clinical at both ends re corners...... :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby John L » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 pm

As an aside, had we progressed we would've slotted in to the draw between MK Dons and Northampton, taking the tie that the Cobblers have been allocated... Newcastle away! :cry:
John L

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:14 pm

John L wrote:Newcastle away! :cry:

Ker-ching
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Having said that, as we don't get any luck, they would have spelt our name wrong
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion