Sammy McIlroy

Re: Sammy McIlroy

Postby wijit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:47 pm

I've seen Cork a couple of times, and whilst I'd not compare them to Championship I would say they would easily hold their own in our league.
Just as a side thought though, don't the champions of their league get into Europe? That could be tempting no matter what is said now.
wijit

Postby chipbuns » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 pm

bit harsh making predictions like conference north standard etc when you've never seen them play. These Cork fans have come on here for a friendly discussion trying to find out information on their club and we should respect that. They don't deserve unlike some of the shameful bratfurd fans. Most of these comments have been friendly but making rash predictions like that bring out negative opinions etc and doesn't exactley follow the "friendliest" club tag. We're representing Morecambe to these Cork fans as they may affect the shrimps in the future. They may want to keep tabs on how we're performing and may even come over and watch sometime. Clubs always want increasing fan bases and things like this can either improve it or hamper chances to gain more fans etc.
chipbuns

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:On your 2nd point about your mates.I will put it like this.I was chatting to a guy today who asked me why in gods name would we be interested in a manager from a nothing club like Morcambe FC.You see just like your mates he does not know his arse from his elbow about your club.I would have more respect and judge a club myself than listening to other people opinions who do not have a clue.. ;)

Now come on! If a name like Sammy McIlroy isn't a big enough name in Ireland, then I don't know what is! That's like a 12 year old Irish bike fan saying "Joey Dunlop? Who?" :lol: :lol: :lol: That guy who doesn't know another top Irish footballer... well, he needs his arse kicking more than some Morecambe fans who don't know about Cork City FC!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Keith wrote:
Cork City FC fan wrote:On your 2nd point about your mates.I will put it like this.I was chatting to a guy today who asked me why in gods name would we be interested in a manager from a nothing club like Morcambe FC.You see just like your mates he does not know his arse from his elbow about your club.I would have more respect and judge a club myself than listening to other people opinions who do not have a clue.. ;)

Now come on! If a name like Sammy McIlroy isn't a big enough name in Ireland, then I don't know what is! That's like a 12 year old Irish bike fan saying "Joey Dunlop? Who?" :lol: :lol: :lol: That guy who doesn't know another top Irish footballer... well, he needs his arse kicking more than some Morecambe fans who don't know about Cork City FC!

Older fans would remember Sammy but not many of the younger lads.Do not forget that Sammy was a Northern Ireland International so it is less likely that younger fans in particular would know much about the man.

And with all due respect despite what some Morecambe fans think there are a lot of clubs around Europe that now know plenty about Cork City FC as we have played in Europe so many times.And that is not a boast because if you check our history we are regular participants in European Football.
Cork City FC fan

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:47 pm

chipbuns wrote:bit harsh making predictions like conference north standard etc when you've never seen them play. These Cork fans have come on here for a friendly discussion trying to find out information on their club and we should respect that. They don't deserve unlike some of the shameful bratfurd fans. Most of these comments have been friendly but making rash predictions like that bring out negative opinions etc and doesn't exactley follow the "friendliest" club tag. We're representing Morecambe to these Cork fans as they may affect the shrimps in the future. They may want to keep tabs on how we're performing and may even come over and watch sometime. Clubs always want increasing fan bases and things like this can either improve it or hamper chances to gain more fans etc.

Good post there chipbuns.. :)

Believe it or not i have heard negative comments about our club many times over the years from fans that do not know much about our league.When we play in Europe i have often heard our fans speak like this about unknown clubs in Finland and other countries so we are no angels.It is all about letting each other know information on our clubs.
Cork City FC fan

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 am

I work with a lad that played for Bray for a couple of years andplayed for the Republic of Ireland under 21s before been picked up by Blackburn Rovers and he came across here and signed pro with Rovers for about 4 years unfortunatley never making the first team and Souness (I knew there was a reason why I didn't like that man) let him go.

The Cork fan is right about the scouting network in Ireland. Once a year Rovers would ship a bus load of the best young kids In ireland over to have a look at them for example my mate came over in the same group as Damien Duff.

Unfortunatley he is not in work at the moment so haven't been able to ask him about this but will be intresting to see what he thinks and what standard he thinks the league is up to.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Duffman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:54 pm

From the BBC:

Cork move for McIlroy is blocked

Morecambe have refused Irish club Cork City permission to talk to boss Sammy McIlroy about their managerial vacancy.

The Eircom League outfit had been keen to speak to the former Northern Ireland manager about succeeding Alan Mathews who was sacked in December.

Morecambe's chief executive Rod Taylor said: "We had a call from Cork asking if they could speak to Sammy but denied them permission to approach him."

McIlroy led Morecambe to the Nationwide Conference title in 2007.

In November 2008, McIlroy signed an extension to his contract, a deal which tied him to Christie Park until the end of the 2009-10 season.

Didn't remember winning the league, it must have been Dagenham I saw at Wembley.
Duffman

Postby ezz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:
ezz wrote:We beat 2 championship teams in our first season in the league....no offense but they have their off days. A lot of my mates from uni come from Ireland and tell me your league is at a very poor standard, the better teams may survive in league2 but i doubt nothing better.

I did not say we would beat Championship teams on their off day.I said we would hold our own with some of them whatever sort of day they are having.As a fan of both leagues i feel like i have seen enough to make a honest judgement on it.I am not here to say anyone is better than the other.

On your 2nd point about your mates.I will put it like this.I was chatting to a guy today who asked me why in gods name would we be interested in a manager from a nothing club like Morcambe FC.You see just like your mates he does not know his arse from his elbow about your club.I would have more respect and judge a club myself than listening to other people opinions who do not have a clue.. ;)

Yet you dont know who my mates are or what experience they have, you assume because your being nice to us on our forum that we'll believe you know a lot. I think i'l stick with what they said as i'm sure they know more about both leagues than you. Again no better than conference standard...maybe league 2 which would explain why your after Sammy.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Cork City FC fan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:36 pm

ezz wrote:
Cork City FC fan wrote:
ezz wrote:We beat 2 championship teams in our first season in the league....no offense but they have their off days. A lot of my mates from uni come from Ireland and tell me your league is at a very poor standard, the better teams may survive in league2 but i doubt nothing better.

I did not say we would beat Championship teams on their off day.I said we would hold our own with some of them whatever sort of day they are having.As a fan of both leagues i feel like i have seen enough to make a honest judgement on it.I am not here to say anyone is better than the other.

On your 2nd point about your mates.I will put it like this.I was chatting to a guy today who asked me why in gods name would we be interested in a manager from a nothing club like Morcambe FC.You see just like your mates he does not know his arse from his elbow about your club.I would have more respect and judge a club myself than listening to other people opinions who do not have a clue.. ;)

Yet you dont know who my mates are or what experience they have, you assume because your being nice to us on our forum that we'll believe you know a lot. I think i'l stick with what they said as i'm sure they know more about both leagues than you. Again no better than conference standard...maybe league 2 which would explain why your after Sammy.

Not sure what your problem is there but definetly seems like you have one.For whatever reason i do not know.Believe what you like as it makes absolutely no difference to me.

I came on and spoke a bit about our league and tried my best to explain to those interested.I might not be 100% correct about the gap in standards but i do not think i am far out.

Anyway best of luck against Grimsby Saturday.
Cork City FC fan

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am

We have our statue of Eric Morecambe and I believe in Cork you have a statue of Rory Gallagher......that will do for me.....both top men in their field....let's call it a draw !
Alan

Postby ezz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 am

No problem, just annoying i just dont agree that your clubs could hack championship or league 1 standards. Also saying that you knew more than people you dont know was a bit silly.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby B.H.C #3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:32 am

I don't know Cork City Fan but I think hes a good lad. Just on here for some info and good chat. Good lad

B.H.C #3

Postby badger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:34 am

cork city,they still play football with a rugby ball dont they. :lol: :lol: :lol:
badger

Postby B.H.C #3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:35 am

Isn't that Munster?
B.H.C #3

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:15 am

B.H.C #3 wrote:Isn't that Munster?

Nooo, that was the girl ( :?: ) you ended up with last Thurs :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Freez » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 am

I went out with an Irish Catholic. Very Frustrating.
You can take the Girl out of Cork....... :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Posh » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Freez wrote:I went out with an Irish Catholic. Very Frustrating.
You can take the Girl out of Cork....... :D

If it was you Freez she must have been a lesbian...

...or as known in Ireland, a Gaelic.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby B.H.C #3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Haha good one Mick!!
B.H.C #3

Previous

Return to General Discussion