New stadium needed NOW

New stadium needed NOW

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Those fans who still think that we should not be going ahead with the new Stadium development should really take notice of the reason for the transfer embargo.

As a club we have to live mainly on loans from the Directors, money from gates, money from Cup runs and money from the Commercial side.

Loans from the Directors is something that only they can judge.

Money from gates and Cup runs depends on results on the field.

However money from the Commercial side is limited at present to what we can generate from sponsors, weekly prize draws, the club shop and a very limited income from JBs bar.

The new Stadium and its ability to raise funds through increased useage on a daily basis will increase our clubs revenue considerably. Don't take my word for it; look at the increase in revenue at Shrewsbury since their new development.

Without question the move is critical to our survival as a league club. Not only will it provide the much needed extra revenue, it will also encourage better players to make the longer treck up the M6 because we can offer better facilities both on and off the field.

The sooner we get building underway the better. One thing for sure, that in itself will provide us all with a much needed injection of confidence as we look to the future.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: New stadium needed NOW

Postby Welshrimp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Agreed.

I wonder, though, what might have been done in creative accounting terms to forestall the transfer situation. Whether or not we are above the 60% surely depends on the timing of incomes and expenditures relating to the sale of CP and the new build - and that timing is to some degree a matter of choice?
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby The Marksman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Yep, a new stadium would increase income. However, it would also increase expenditure in the form of loan repayments. I still think now's not the time to be getting into debt, particularly as many companies are in hard times themselves and will be looking to cut down on commercial expenditure. I'd favour just spending within our means for the moment. If that means a few players have to go, so be it.
The Marksman

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:01 pm

The Marksman wrote:Yep, a new stadium would increase income. However, it would also increase expenditure in the form of loan repayments. I still think now's not the time to be getting into debt, particularly as many companies are in hard times themselves and will be looking to cut down on commercial expenditure. I'd favour just spending within our means for the moment. If that means a few players have to go, so be it.

It depends who any loan is with and how much that loan is for....assuming of course that there is an actual loan involved.

It's well documented that CP has already been sold, or at least a promise to purchase has been agreed. Monies from that may well be more than sufficient to cover the costs PLUS extra in the Bank.

I can't imagine all the work that has and is going on behind the scene not delivering what we all want (sorry...the vast majority want).
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Agree with everything Christie's Child has said.
Although it will be sad to leave CP, if we stayed I think there could be a real danger of dropping back into non-league again.
Moving should give us the incentives to go forward and eventually get into League 1.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Any provision for undersoil heating at the new stadium :?:
Blackburn shrimp

Postby james456 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Definitely. The stadium is the milestone we need to reach in order to increase our income and status as a league club. Until then, we can only realistically be looking at surviving in the league but with it, we have the potential to continue moving forwards and become a greater club; both on and off the pitch.
james456

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Blackburn shrimp wrote:Any provision for undersoil heating at the new stadium :?:

If I win the lottery definitely.
morecambe mick

Postby sgt major » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
Blackburn shrimp wrote:Any provision for undersoil heating at the new stadium :?:

With the long range weather forecast available to all, the time to have got the pitch prepared would have been straight after the Boxing Day game.

Now we will play Lincoln on a Tuesday night with a limited gate, instead of a decent crowd over what would still have been a holiday period for some.

BTW - I had a Lincoln fan in the York who said there were a few who had made a weekend of it, booking ages ago. We wont see them putting money through the gate for the re-arranged game.

Finally on this subject - how the hell did FGR manage to get their pitch fit for Derby???
sgt major

Postby campdave » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:54 pm

sgt major wrote:With the long range weather forecast available to all, the time to have got the pitch prepared would have been straight after the Boxing Day game.

The long range weather forecast is often wrong in my experience - most of the time, it can't be forecast two or three days in advance accurately.
campdave

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 pm

sgt major wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

With the long range weather forecast available to all, the time to have got the pitch prepared would have been straight after the Boxing Day game.

Now we will play Lincoln on a Tuesday night with a limited gate, instead of a decent crowd over what would still have been a holiday period for some.

BTW - I had a Lincoln fan in the York who said there were a few who had made a weekend of it, booking ages ago. We wont see them putting money through the gate for the re-arranged game.

Finally on this subject - how the hell did FGR manage to get their pitch fit for Derby???

The minus 6 degrees on Friday night never materialised but after the farce with Gary Peters last season the club felt that an early decision would be the best way to go.

I suspect our pitch would have been as playable as Forest Green but once the decision was made it could not be changed.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:53 pm

sgt major wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

Probably similar to how Macclesfield did!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/242791 ... d-tie.html
At this level and with the potential revenue involved, you can't afford not too but you can't afford this luxury for a league game.
nobbyshrimp

Postby Trinity » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm

The new Stadium and its ability to raise funds through increased useage on a daily basis will increase our clubs revenue considerably

Maybe contributions from sponsors, grants, the public etc would be forthcoming if there was a viewable business plan in place which substantiates that claim

Morecambe FC in my opinion has already over achieved (a tremendous achievement)with the limited resources it has due to arrival of a football savvy and generous Director who got rid of his chips in the property game at the right time, good coaching and team management and some investment at grassroots level.

I agree with others on this board - focus on the quality of football on the field of play, increase investment at grassroots level and give the youngsters a chance. Great to see local lads like Aaron Taylor progressing, especially when you've seen these lads play in the Lancaster & Morecambe Youth league. Thats Morecambe best asset and investment, not a new stadium.

Like the Winter Gardens, a Morecambe Town council until I see an affordable and sustainable innovative scheme a new stadium is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned unless the clubs won the lottery or come into some money.

Talking of innovative ideas it was interesting to see how Preston NE funded their new stand (one side only)and new pitch. I believe the cost of that was about £3.5 million The NHS occupies accommodation under the new stand and pays the club rent! :idea:
Trinity

Postby captain sparkle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Christies Child wrote:
It's well documented that CP has already been sold, or at least a promise to purchase has been agreed. Monies from that may well be more than sufficient to cover the costs PLUS extra in the Bank.

Are we 100% about this? no small print -"if interest rates fall below 2%...", "if there is a steep and prolonged fall in the markets...", etc. etc. and other terms the financial institutions bring into play to protect their own interests!
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Curly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:06 pm

captain sparkle wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Are we 100% about this? no small print -"if interest rates fall below 2%...", "if there is a steep and prolonged fall in the markets...", etc. etc. and other terms the financial institutions bring into play to protect their own interests!

Agreed, I wonder if proposed sales possibly agreed before the credit crunch could well go nips up in these uncertain times. :(
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Trinity » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Most innovative idea/suggestion I came across for establishing a successful professional football league club in this area was put forward by the former editor of the Lancaster & Morecambe Citizen, Greg Morgan in the late 90's:- amalgamate Morecambe & Lancaster City AFC, pool resources and build a new stand. 8-)

As Greg stated at the time. with the exit of Barrow from the football league, theres a big catchment area of potential supporters to go at between Preston and Carlisle.
Last edited by Trinity on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Postby badger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:30 pm

I think we have to have at least 2000 seats in the new stadium by 2010 season.
Ithink the football league gives new teams in the league 3 years to get there grounds up to standard, so this means we have got to be in the new ground by then.

accy stanley are in there third season now, and i dont think they have any extra money for new seats. so lets keep an eye on this one.if there is any accy stanley suporters out there who can put me right on this one please let me know.
badger

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 am

Trinity wrote:Most innovative idea/suggestion I came across for establishing a successful professional football league club in this area was put forward by the former editor of the Lancaster & Morecambe Citizen, Greg Morgan in the late 90's:- amalgamate Morecambe & Lancaster City AFC, pool resources and build a new stand. 8-)

As Greg stated at the time. with the exit of Barrow from the football league, theres a big catchment area of potential supporters to go at between Preston and Carlisle.

But he completely failed to explain how it would work because the actual FANS of both clubs were 100% against it! By then Morecambe were already far stronger than Lancaster and wouldn't accept the word "Lancaster" in the name and Lancaster fans would rather struggle and have their own club than to be swallowed up by their more successful neighbours and would rather walk barefoot across broken glass than come to Christie Park (and rightly so!)

Greg was talking bollocks and thankfully the idea was treated with the contempt it deserved. As I recall from those long passed days, Lancaster got as much or more coverage in the Citizen as Morecambe did, despite us being a league or two higher than them? Wonder why that was?

He was correct that there is a huge catchment area, and Morecambe FC must continue to grow its fan base by getting new fans from Lancaster (City, not FC) and the wider area.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:50 am

We could be called Morecaster, or Lancambe and play in red and blue!!!!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby USA Shrimp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:30 am

ezz wrote:We could be called Morecaster, or Lancambe and play in red and blue!!!!

During WWII The Steelers (Pittsburgh) and The Eagles (Philadelphia) combined to make one team. The name...

The Steagles. True story.

Anyhow, the whole Lancaster and Morecambe combining was a complete non-starter. Just no good reason for it.
USA Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Trinity wrote:Talking of innovative ideas it was interesting to see how Preston NE funded their new stand (one side only)and new pitch. I believe the cost of that was about £3.5 million The NHS occupies accommodation under the new stand and pays the club rent! :idea:

Anyone fancy living under the new north stand when its built then? Could pop back to your room for a half time brew! 8-)
Wild Bill

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Trinity wrote:Talking of innovative ideas it was interesting to see how Preston NE funded their new stand (one side only)and new pitch. I believe the cost of that was about £3.5 million The NHS occupies accommodation under the new stand and pays the club rent! :idea:

Anyone fancy living under the new north stand when its built then? Could pop back to your room for a half time brew! 8-)

What a great idea! , I have a personal Alcohol license and because the ground will have a premises license it would mean I could sell prematch, halftime and post match bevvies from my apartment! :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Trevor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Trinity wrote:Most innovative idea/suggestion I came across for establishing a successful professional football league club in this area was put forward by the former editor of the Lancaster & Morecambe Citizen, Greg Morgan in the late 90's:- amalgamate Morecambe & Lancaster City AFC, pool resources and build a new stand. 8-)

People have suggested that loads of times over the years going back decades. At one time - 70s and early 80s it may have been worth looking at cos the clubs were on a pretty equal standing. but evry time it was mentioned recently anyone who knew anything about football asked what would be gained? The clubs don't compete with each other for fans and only very marginly for commercial stuff and haven't for many many years.
Trevor

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Besides being the best editor of the L&M Citizen and the saviour of local football, is there anything else you can tell us about yourself, sorry, about Greg?
Phoenix

Postby feed the keg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 pm

long time reader first time poster!
i think the major issue the club has is not connected to the ground, but it is the problem with the fans and getting support. as shown with the transfer embago are income ins't large enough, but it was fine last season when the part time fans where cumin. now we arnt playin as well an the novelty has worn off we have to get realistic. the catchment area of the club isn't hugh with so much compertion. this means we are doing extremely well to be where we are!!! if the fans stop putting pressure on the club for success and get behind the team we can enjoy where we are!!! look at teams around us, bradford-massive club, shewsbury, ect. yea a new stadium wud be great and is the next step but we r trying to progess far to quick!!!
get realistic an enjoy are success, being in league 2 is massive for this club. if u carnt see this then support rovers they need u more than we do!!!!
feed the keg

Next

Return to General Discussion