Sammy McIlroy

Re: Sammy McIlroy

Postby burple » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Can't see Sammy wanting to manage in a league of Conf. North standard.

That is a very ignorant statement you have made there.You know nothing about the standard of our league.I am not going to get into a slagging match with someone like you so i will leave it at that.

Genuine question. In your opinion what is the standard of football played in your league. If Cork were to play in the english leagues where do you think they would fit?
I know nothing about the Irish leagues so just wondered
burple

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:37 pm

burple wrote:
Cork City FC fan wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Can't see Sammy wanting to manage in a league of Conf. North standard.

That is a very ignorant statement you have made there.You know nothing about the standard of our league.I am not going to get into a slagging match with someone like you so i will leave it at that.

Genuine question. In your opinion what is the standard of football played in your league. If Cork were to play in the english leagues where do you think they would fit?

I would put the standard of our top sides in the same category as League 1 clubs at least.I think we could compete against lower Championship sides also.
Cork City FC fan

Postby burple » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:39 pm

so is it like the scottish leagues where you have 2 decent sides then the rest dross just making up the numbers?
burple

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

burple wrote:so is it like the scottish leagues where you have 2 decent sides then the rest dross just making up the numbers?

The top clubs in the league would be

Cork City FC
Bohemians FC(current champions)
St Patricks Athletic
Derry City FC
Shamrock Rovers FC

All these clubs are capable of challenging for the title each year so not like the usual Celtic/Rangers dominance in Scotland at all.
Cork City FC fan

Postby burple » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Good. At least it makes interesting then. You just hear nothing at all from the Irish Leagues here.

Thanks
burple

Postby CCFC 1984 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
CCFC 1984 wrote:

Also can't see him commuting from Lymm in Cheshire very easily.

hahaha says a Morcombe fan.

Come back to me when you've the slightest idea of what you are talking about

come back when you can spell !!

Sammy will not want to manage in a league that nobody knows anything about or cares for that matter.

If its good enough for Sam Allerdyce......
CCFC 1984

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:02 pm

[quote="burpleGenuine question. In your opinion what is the standard of football played in your league. If Cork were to play in the english leagues where do you think they would fit?
I know nothing about the Irish leagues so just wondered[/quote]

Very difficult to compare sides from different leagues but, just anecdotally, a few of us went over to watch Glentoran a couple of years back and were interviewed by their fans website after the game.

One of the questions they asked was 'how does the standard compare to Morecambe's league?' (Conference then).

We were very courteous and said we thought there wasn't much difference and that they'd looked good etc.

Privately we thought they were pedestrian and that the likes of Thommo etc would run rings round them.

Glentoran often play inter-league games in cups against the likes of Cork and Derry so are comparable in standard.

About a fortnight after we'd been Derry City absolutely trounced Gretna (who at the time were definitely significantly better than Morecambe) about 5-1 in Scotland in the early round of a European competition (Uefa cup probably).

So we ... erm 're-thought' our assessment.

I suspect our Cork friend is probably not far off the mark.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-sport/Shrimps-block-Cork-move-for.4847715.jp

Academic anyway according to this further update ;) :lol:
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:17 pm

shrimper wrote:[quote="burpleGenuine question. In your opinion what is the standard of football played in your league. If Cork were to play in the english leagues where do you think they would fit?

Very difficult to compare sides from different leagues but, just anecdotally, a few of us went over to watch Glentoran a couple of years back and were interviewed by their fans website after the game.

One of the questions they asked was 'how does the standard compare to Morecambe's league?' (Conference then).

We were very courteous and said we thought there wasn't much difference and that they'd looked good etc.

Privately we thought they were pedestrian and that the likes of Thommo etc would run rings round them.

Glentoran often play inter-league games in cups against the likes of Cork and Derry so are comparable in standard.

About a fortnight after we'd been Derry City absolutely trounced Gretna (who at the time were definitely significantly better than Morecambe) about 5-1 in Scotland in the early round of a European competition (Uefa cup probably).

So we ... erm 're-thought' our assessment.

I suspect our Cork friend is probably not far off the mark.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-sport/Shrimps-block-Cork-move-for.4847715.jp

Academic anyway according to this further update ;) :lol:[/quote]

Good post there Shrimper and fairly spot on.

Also thanks for the link to that statement and it does look like this is the end of our clubs interest in your manager.

Best of luck to you for the rest of the season.. :)
Cork City FC fan

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:23 pm

WHAT SORT OF CROWDS DO CORK GET THEN?

EVEN IF CORK PLAYED AT A HIGHER STANDARD THAN US I CANT SEE HIM GOING. HE WOULD HAVE TO COMMUTE FROM THE UK AND WOULD BE OUT OF THE 'SHOP WINDOW' SO-TO-SPEAK FOR OTHER BIGGER CLUBS IN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE IF HE WANTED TO PROGRESS HIS CAREER. IF CORK ARE THE BEST TEAM IN IRELAND THERE AIN'T ANYWERE LEFT FOR HIM TO GO! :lol:

(SORRY FOR THE CAPLOCK BTW! :roll: )
Wild Bill

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Wild Bill wrote:WHAT SORT OF CROWDS DO CORK GET THEN?

EVEN IF CORK PLAYED AT A HIGHER STANDARD THAN US I CANT SEE HIM GOING. HE WOULD HAVE TO COMMUTE FROM THE UK AND WOULD BE OUT OF THE 'SHOP WINDOW' SO-TO-SPEAK FOR OTHER BIGGER CLUBS IN THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE IF HE WANTED TO PROGRESS HIS CAREER. IF CORK ARE THE BEST TEAM IN IRELAND THERE AIN'T ANYWERE LEFT FOR HIM TO GO! :lol:

You are always in the shop window no matter what league you are managing or playing in.Every half decent club has a big scouting network these days and they do not miss much.

And just to show you that we are very much in the shop window as much as lower league English clubs i will list a few of our recent transfers.

We sold

Kevin Doyle
Shane Long
Alan Bennett(on loan Brentford)
Dave Mooney(on loan to Stockport County)

All to Reading FC

Also
George O'Callaghan(Tranmere Rovers)
Roy O' Donovan(Sunderland)(on loan Dundee United)
Darren Murphy(Has just joined Stevenage Borough FC)
Leon Mc'Sweeney(Stockpost County)

So at Cork City FC we are very much always in the shop window(Unfortunately).

Nowhere is safe from the vultures..
Last edited by Cork City FC fan on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cork City FC fan

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:I would put the standard of our top sides in the same category as League 1 clubs at least.I think we could compete against lower Championship sides also.

Now that's funny.

All I see is a League in massive financial problems with clubs like Drogheda going bust, struggling for sponsorship revenues and no way forward on all-Ireland league, which is the only thing that would pep it up. It is no better than football in the North of Ireland, and that's Conf North standard.

So some sugar daddy fancies Sammy for his manager. Last time I look Nick Leeson was Commercial Manager of Sligo Rovers, says it all really.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Posh wrote:
Cork City FC fan wrote:I would put the standard of our top sides in the same category as League 1 clubs at least.I think we could compete against lower Championship sides also.

Now that's funny.

All I see is a League in massive financial problems with clubs like Drogheda going bust, struggling for sponsorship revenues and no way forward on all-Ireland league, which is the only thing that would pep it up. It is no better than football in the North of Ireland, and that's Conf North standard.

So some sugar daddy fancies Sammy for his manager. Last time I look Nick Leeson was Commercial Manager of Sligo Rovers, says it all really.

It is always hard replying to people that make comments about our league that clearly do not know anything about it.As i said in an earlier post to some other fan stop being ignorant.

Now to give you an answer which after your post you hardly deserve.

First of all just because our league is going through serious financial difficulties does not mean our teams/players are poor.

We do not have a sugar daddy in charge of our club.I wish we did by the way.

Nick Leeson is involved with Galway United and not their rivals Sligo Rovers.Nick Leeson is doing a very good job at the club and just because he has had a problem in his past does not carry weight in your effort in trying to put our league down.There are a lot of gangsters involved in the running or many English league clubs.You really shold check your facts.
Cork City FC fan

Postby Smirnoff Please » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:

You are always in the shop window no matter what league you are managing or playing in.Every half decent club has a big scouting network these days and they do not miss much.

And just to show you that we are very much in the shop window as much as lower league English clubs i will list a few of our recent transfers.

We sold

Kevin Doyle
Shane Long

All to Reading FC

Also

An impressive list indeed. You got anymore gems down there, we should be taking a look at for the future?
Why drink singles when you can order a double.......
Smirnoff Please

Postby forces shrimp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:05 pm

your right none of us know the standard of your league because there aint that much of a fuss made about it, not like the english leagues. This to me can only mean it is not that high of a standard other wise there would be more coverage of it for us to know about it!
forces shrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Not intentionally patronising or condescending, what sort of crowd do you get at Cork? I genuinely know nothing about the club or the league that they play in, so can't possibly second guess if it is 'attractive' or not. If there was any attraction to Sammy, I would think it would be purely if he'd decided that he wanted to live back in Ireland at some point as I'm sure that managerial career wise he will have a higher profile in England than Ireland.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Smirnoff Please wrote:
Cork City FC fan wrote:

We sold

Kevin Doyle
Shane Long

All to Reading FC

Also

An impressive list indeed. You got anymore gems down there, we should be taking a look at for the future?

I hope none of your management read this forum.They will be getting ideas from that post above from myself.. :D

We averaged i would think in the region of 3,000 last season which was poor.For top league games we could anything up to 6,000.

Also just because you do not any media coverage of our league does not make it poor.With the popularity of the English Premiership in particular i dont think there is much room left on newspaper for leagues like ours.But make no mistake there is plenty talent here but not to much moeny to keep them.
Cork City FC fan

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Just a few shots of our ground and support to give you a taste of what our club is about..

Cork City FC fan

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Ok your obviously a big fish in a small sea.

So if you win your league where do you progress to ?

if you get relegated where do you go ?
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Cork City FC fan wrote:
It is always hard replying to people that make comments about our league that clearly do not know anything about it.As i said in an earlier post to some other fan stop being ignorant.

Now to give you an answer which after your post you hardly deserve.

It wasn't ignorant just because you disagreed with it - it was no less well argued than some of your contributions.

As someone who recently moved to the UK from the North of Ireland - I would say that League of Ireland teams are significantly stronger than Northern Irish teams, but personally I find the comparison to League 1 and lower Championship sides laughable - Upper Conference/League 2 at best. Shout me down all you like, but what is your experience of the standard of UK football other than watching a few matches on the telly?
campdave

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 pm

In reply to campdave.

Yes it was being ignorant.When you put up an argument at least state correct facts.To compare the eircom league of Ireland with the conference North is wrong.

His comments about Nick Leeson were also wrong which i explained.

Also i support an English Championship club too and i travel to many of their games each season so i know exactly the standard of the league.We would beat some Championship teams i have seen and if that is correct then being fair surely it would put our standard higher than your opinion of our league.

And i am not here to shout anyone down either.I think i have been fairly friendly and have answered as many questions about our club as i can to those who seem interested.

In reply to Heysham Shrimp.

If we win our league we go into the prelims of the Champions league.

If we get relegated we would drop to the 1st division.We play in the eircom Premier league.
Cork City FC fan

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Evening all, ah lovely Cork on the beautiful River Lee - one of my favourite places.

Been their twice this year and had a good long chat with the guy running Cork City's club shop in their city centre in early September ( bought a neat Cork City stone beermat as well - still works )

He told me that due to dubious characters involved previously with Cork, that they were absolutely skint and in big debt.

So what has happened in 4 months ? Are they suddenly flush - any new investors or what ?

Regardless of football issues, BMI fly from Manchester to Cork in about 50 minutes every day - probably quicker to get to Cork than Morecambe up the M60 / M61 / M6 most days.

Not that I want Sammy to enjoy the River Lee in any other capacity than a holiday of course !
SimplyRed MFC

Postby ezz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:10 pm

We beat 2 championship teams in our first season in the league....no offense but they have their off days. A lot of my mates from uni come from Ireland and tell me your league is at a very poor standard, the better teams may survive in league2 but i doubt nothing better.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm

I seem to recall us being after a lad fromm NI who went to Cork in the summer or was it another club?

A striker I believe who was looking forward to the trial with us and then backed out.

BTW..I'm really pleased that Sammy has confirmed that he's in agreement with Peter McG about not being allowed to talk to Cork.

Bet some of you would never have thought for me to state that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Cork City FC fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm

ezz wrote:We beat 2 championship teams in our first season in the league....no offense but they have their off days. A lot of my mates from uni come from Ireland and tell me your league is at a very poor standard, the better teams may survive in league2 but i doubt nothing better.

I did not say we would beat Championship teams on their off day.I said we would hold our own with some of them whatever sort of day they are having.As a fan of both leagues i feel like i have seen enough to make a honest judgement on it.I am not here to say anyone is better than the other.

On your 2nd point about your mates.I will put it like this.I was chatting to a guy today who asked me why in gods name would we be interested in a manager from a nothing club like Morcambe FC.You see just like your mates he does not know his arse from his elbow about your club.I would have more respect and judge a club myself than listening to other people opinions who do not have a clue.. ;)
Cork City FC fan

Postby The Marksman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Edit: posted before realising there was a whole page 2 saying basically the same thing...
Last edited by The Marksman on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Marksman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion