Should players live locally?

Should players live locally?

Postby SolentShrimp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 am

We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Re: Should players live locally?

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 am

Interesting, but telling players they have to live in morecambe if they sign for us? christ,no, its a struggle at best to attract them now!!
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby KenH » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:28 am

I think it's an admiral philosophy, but realistically only works in areas of high population where you have a bigger pool of talent to choose from, more local amenities, etc.

I've heard comments many times from ex-long term supporters of Morecambe that they feel it's not a local club anymore because of it being mostly comprised of Liverpudlians who still live in Merseyside, so very little local connection.

That's why I was so very impressed to see the players on Morecambe's carnival float this year. A very good start to bridging the gap between the local wider community and the playing squad.
KenH

Postby morecambegeek » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 am

Yet not interesting enough for you to have any kind of opinion?
morecambegeek

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:46 am

KenH wrote:I've heard comments many times from ex-long term supporters of Morecambe that they feel it's not a local club anymore because of it being mostly comprised of Liverpudlians who still live in Merseyside, so very little local connection.

Wasn't that the case in the 90's as well? I'm sure half the squad were Scousers back then too!
Shrimpy

Postby Freez » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:16 am

IMO, as long as they give a shit when they pull the shirt on and run they're plums off I couldn't give a big rats arse if they lived on the moon.

Remember Stabby's last season, he signed expensive useless mercenaries who didn't give a toss, thankfully those days are gone.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:39 am

I'm once again with Freez on this, as long as they give a shit (shouldn't that be 'shift'.. :?: ) when in the shirt it doesn't matter where they decide to live. Having said that a number over the years have moved to relocate in the area. Baz, Wright, McDonald, Wainwright and more recently Wildig. For me if they are prepared to travel from Merseyside or wherever then good luck to them.

Maybe the club should negotiate a mini bus from that area so that they could all travel together.... :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

I can't think of a bigger "Morecambe Man" than James Bentley, who's about as Scouse as Jimmy Tarbuck.

They should all be within an hours commute. I wouldn't be entertaining people driving 2 hours there and back, you need to be in the same locality to drive a team ethic.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Fundamentally I think you've got to be no more than an hour or so away, just becuase of travelling long distances to and from taining every other day having an effect.... god forbid, we don't want people driving 2 hours here and another 2 hours back to play head tennis. ;)
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 pm

RedRedWine wrote:... god forbid, we don't want people driving 2 hours here and another 2 hours back to play head tennis. ;)

OUCH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 am

Interesting thread on the Barrovian forum on the same subject

http://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic.php? ... 5f80461bd2
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Teams like Morecambe » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Interesting thread on the Barrovian forum on the same subject

http://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic.php? ... 5f80461bd2

Goes to show they are obsessed with us as they have clearly seen this thread before starting their own. Nobody wants to live in Barrow so it's a pointless discussion.
Teams like Morecambe

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:07 pm

I imagine very few of our players live in and around Morecambe. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

I think we could struggle to think of 11 players born and bred in the town without going back 25 years +
Wild Bill

Return to General Discussion