O/T Lap Top choices

O/T Lap Top choices

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Just in the process of buying a laptop for our daughter but can't decide between a HP255 or LenovoE555.

Both appear to have similar specs but significantly both come with Windows 7 which would be my choice of operating systems and hers as well. Both retail circa £250 which is the max we wish to pay.

Maybe some fellow SVers have experience of either and their thoughts / recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Lap Top choices

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:25 pm

I have had quite a few lenovo products over the years,and have always found them reliable,and decent quality, despite being considered a 'budget' brand.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 am

I got myself a Lenovo last year, and have had no issues with it. I would say it came with Windows 8.1, and I've had no problems adjusting to the change in operating system, in fact the touch screen I find qute useeful.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:39 am

Reading some reviews of the Levono it sounds as though the E555 is particularly slow but then again HP seem to have reliability issues.

Yet another bloody minefield..... :? :? :?
Christies Child

Postby KenH » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Can't you find a Samsung with similar price and spec? I've had Dells and HPs in the past and found them both unreliable and shoddy - keys falling off, failing components etc. My last 6 laptops (yes 6 as I use them in my business) have all been Samsungs and have been sound despite a lot of wear and tear, knocks, etc. No component failures at all, no keys falling off. I've got 2 that are about 4/5 years old, and 4 that are about 7/8 years old, all still going strong. I'd have no hesitation buying Samsungs again when the time comes.
KenH

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:45 pm

KenH wrote:Can't you find a Samsung with similar price and spec? I've had Dells and HPs in the past and found them both unreliable and shoddy - keys falling off, failing components etc. My last 6 laptops (yes 6 as I use them in my business) have all been Samsungs and have been sound despite a lot of wear and tear, knocks, etc. No component failures at all, no keys falling off. I've got 2 that are about 4/5 years old, and 4 that are about 7/8 years old, all still going strong. I'd have no hesitation buying Samsungs again when the time comes.

Would love to find a Samsung or even maybe a Toshiba for what we can afford (us penniless pensioners... :cry: ) but easier said than done.
Christies Child

Postby morecambegeek » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:50 pm

You've just been to Italy.

Sorry you might not be able to afford a top of the range laptop, but the penniless pensioner quote really pissed me off, especially considering the post you made on your return.

I'm sure your comment was made in jest, but there are many, many people in a worse off position than you, and I found the comment completely crass.

By the way, this ISN'T a personal CC/morecambegeek thing, just passing comment, expressing my opinion.
morecambegeek

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:09 pm

morecambegeek wrote:You've just been to Italy.

Sorry you might not be able to afford a top of the range laptop, but the penniless pensioner quote really pissed me off, especially considering the post you made on your return.

I'm sure your comment was made in jest, but there are many, many people in a worse off position than you, and I found the comment completely crass.

By the way, this ISN'T a personal CC/morecambegeek thing, just passing comment, expressing my opinion.

Your comments are always most welcome...however the bit about Italy and the penniless pensioner thing needs a reply.

Our visit to Italy has taken us (or more accurately my wife) the best part of 2 years to save up for and was to celebrate our Ruby Wedding (40 years of wedded bliss.... :? ) Since taking early retirement in 2012 on the advice or our Financial Adviser I've lived off the proceeds of a Private Pension and not taken any monies from the Government of any shape or form through choice. Although it was available to me it involved too much hassle which I simply couldn't be bothered with. However as of this Saturday I become an official OAP or should that be a confirmed Old Git.... :?: :lol:

The penniless pensioner bit was more in jest than anything else... so if you and others found it offensive...I'm genuinely sorry.
Christies Child

Postby KenH » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Christies Child wrote:Would love to find a Samsung or even maybe a Toshiba for what we can afford (us penniless pensioners... :cry: ) but easier said than done.

I've never paid more than £250 but I never buy new either. I go on Ebay and Amazon and get either returns, reconditioned or second hand ones. You can get a laptop that was released a year or two ago in A1 condition for less than half price if you don't need the latest all singing all dancing up to date version. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller with good high feedback and a no quibble return policy in case you do end up with a dud and have to return it. Of my most recent two, which are identical, one was a manufacturer's reconditioned which must have been a brand new returned item as everything was "as new", the other was a second hand one off ebay which had a couple of scratches on its case, but good as new when I re-installed the OEM software and cleaned the hard drive, and has been in daily intensive use for at least few years without a single problem.

I do the same with mobile phones too. Just bought a reconditioned I-phone for less than half price. Maybe it's been used, maybe it's a distance-selling-regulations return, but it looks new and works fine.
KenH

Postby SolentShrimp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Christies Child wrote:[
The penniless pensioner bit was more in jest than anything else... so if you and others found it offensive...I'm genuinely sorry.

Never found it offensive at all CC.
Like you [probably], me and Doris go without a lot to be able to do what we want to do.
Happy 40th Anniversary! :)
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:46 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:[

Never found it offensive at all CC.
Like you [probably], me and Doris go without a lot to be able to do what we want to do.
Happy 40th Anniversary! :)

Much to the annoyance of 'er in doors....the one thing I'll never go without is my daily fix of Morecambe FC.... :D
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion