Middle Lane Hogging o/t

Middle Lane Hogging o/t

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:37 am

Had this topic a while ago, but it's with those that disappeared into cyber space.

Beware, C.C., the 1st hogger has been fined nearly £1000 and 5 points on his licence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -free.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Middle Lane Hogging o/t

Postby Ego Tripping » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am

Great to see this article in the daily mail considering 99.9% middle laners read it or the Express :o
Ego Tripping

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:14 am

marky No.1 wrote:Had this topic a while ago, but it's with those that disappeared into cyber space.

Beware, C.C., the 1st hogger has been fined nearly £1000 and 5 points on his licence

I've found a better lane in which to do 70mph.... ;)

Middle lane hoggers who do a max of 50 to 60 mph deserve all that comes to them..... :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am

Christies Child wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Had this topic a while ago, but it's with those that disappeared into cyber space.

I've found a better lane in which to do 70mph.... ;)

Middle lane hoggers who do a max of 50 to 60 mph deserve all that comes to them..... :D

Forget the 50-60mph. Middle lane hoggers of all varieties deserve all they get. No sympathy whatsoever.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby KenH » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:08 pm

The worst are the "professional" lorry drivers, many of whom are side by side for a mile or two as they try to pass each other at 1 or 2 mph faster, usually only to trade places at the next incline. I've seen countless instances of congestion as all the other traffic has to go into lane 3 to get past them. Notably worse since the mandatory 56mph limit enforced by tachographs - at least before then, they could put their foot down and overtake faster so they could get back into lane 1 sooner. I've never understood why they have to try to overtake when they're going at basically the same speed give or take a 1mph or 2.
KenH

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:Great to see this article in the daily mail considering 99.9% middle laners read it or the Express :o

I thought the readers of The Mail & Express always steer to the right???!!!??? You wouldn't catch Peter in the middle of the road and certainly never on the left! 8-)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby slackAlice2 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Reading the article this individual 'stubbornly refused' to move into the left lane-clear cut.

However I believe a lot of so called 'hoggers' have learnt that middle lane users often refuse to let you out from the left lane, speeding up on occasions to prevent you getting out and a lot of middle lane users seem to refuse to use the fast lane. Its learnt behaviour in some cases because they experience the 'boxing in' effect.
Other trends as I see daily are the 3rd lane hoggers , motorists who just stay put in the 3rd lane and go 90-100 MPH , sometimes using a mobile phone ! Tailgaters are the real a*s*hole* IMO , if I'm in the 3rd lane overtaking but not going 90 MPH + and you come up 'real' close , lights flashing , I usually give you a big smile :D until its safe for me to drop back into the middle lane. I'm not sure on the stats on the main cause of accidents on the motorway but my guess would be high speed is tops.
So, lorry drivers pulling out when they want and middle lane hoggers are a nuisance but there's worse habits in my opinion.
slackAlice2

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

we need more lanes/nr preston is a pleasure to drive on!!
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby parceldave » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm not sure on the stats on the main cause of accidents on the motorway but my guess would be high speed is tops.
So, lorry drivers pulling out when they want and middle lane hoggers are a nuisance but there's worse habits in my opinion.

Yes there are worse habits , the middle laners who after ten minutes of hogging decide to wander into the outside lane and back without indicating , probably the same selfish lazy bastards that enter and exit roundabouts without indicating also . :evil:
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Question?
Is someone who is averaging 70 mph on a motorway and travels in the middle lane causing problems for other drivers?

Or is the same driver averaging 70moh but hops in and out of the inside lane more likely to cause problems for other drivers?
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Christies Child wrote:Question?
Is someone who is averaging 70 mph on a motorway and travels in the middle lane causing problems for other drivers?

Or is the same driver averaging 70moh but hops in and out of the inside lane more likely to cause problems for other drivers?

The first one. The second one, 'nipping in and out' is presumably nipping out when overtaking. Like what they are supposed to. They are also almost certainly using their mirrors more frequently and indicating etc. In short, remaining more alert.

Also, the middle lane driver is causing other drivers to become impatient and frustrated, often leading to drivers 'undertaking'. And he's causing congestion.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:02 am

Keith wrote:I thought the readers of The Mail & Express always steer to the right???!!!??? You wouldn't catch Peter in the middle of the road and certainly never on the left! 8-)

WUM! :lol:
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 am

Firstly 'averaging' 70mph? 70mph is the limit, therefore you shouldn't be exceeding it, but driving at a steady 70 unless you need to slow down, rather than averaging it. Secondly. I drive at 70 on the motorway, and I utilise correct 'lane discipline', not 'hopping in and out'. As Keith says, as a driver you are more alert, using your mirrors and indicators. It is incredibly frustrating when you are approaching a slower moving vehicle, you use said indicator to show your intention to move out to overtake, and some middle lane hogger, doing 72/73mph, sits in the middle lane refusing to move into the right hand lane and let you out, so you have to drive along more slowly for half a mile until you can move out behind them, only to find that, having passed you, they've slowed down to 68/69, because they only went past you since you were in the left hand lane and must therefore be a slower driver (regardless of actual speed). Neil, are you that person 'averaging' 70mph, because if so, you are most definitely causing problems for other drivers?
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby morecambegeek » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 am

Are you going to say which you think is causing more problems, or are you just going to do your usual trick of asking a question but not giving your opinion or thinking behind your opinion.
morecambegeek

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 am

morecambegeek wrote:

Are you going to say which you think is causing more problems, or are you just going to do your usual trick of asking a question but not giving your opinion or thinking behind your opinion.

M'Geek. That's what you do! But wait a minute, you just asked a question but left off the question mark, so I suppose it doesn't count as a question. So there's no need for CC to answer your
non-question.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby Keith » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:21 am

Phil Anderer wrote:

Firstly 'averaging' 70mph? 70mph is the limit, therefore you shouldn't be exceeding it, but driving at a steady 70 unless you need to slow down, rather than averaging it.

As Phil says, if you are "averaging" 70mph in the middle lane, you admit that you exceed the speed limit? If so, why should you get in the way of other drivers who are also exceeding the speed limit, only they do so by a bit more than you do? Or, you actually drive 'up to' the limit, in which case you are sitting for miles in the middle lane, averaging something closer to 60mph, in which case you are likely to get in the way.

If you observe good lane etiquette, you are safer and you aren't causing problems elsewhere.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 am

It'd be better if Driving Tests included motorway driving! :o

SolentShrimp

Postby morecambegeek » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am

SolentShrimp wrote:
morecambegeek wrote:

M'Geek. That's what you do! But wait a minute, you just asked a question but left off the question mark, so I suppose it doesn't count as a question. So there's no need for CC to answer your
non-question.

I'd respond, but I can't find something completely irrelevant to link to on the Daily Mail website.
morecambegeek

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 am

If driving at or around 70 mph in the middle lane but pulling out into the outer lane (assuming that it is clear to do so or slowing down as appropriate) when drivers in the inside lane wish to pass a slow moving vehicle in their lane or my use of the outer lane to overtake those 'middle lane hoggers' travelling at or around 65mph then I'm guilty as charged. But there is no way that I will change my driving style that has seen me be observant and courteous to my fellow drivers in particular drivers of heavy goods vehicles for over 45 years.

No doubt this post will create the usual indignation on the part of some...... but tough ......I a'nt going to change :lol: :lol: :lol
Christies Child

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 am

Christies Child wrote:If driving at or around 70 mph in the middle lane but pulling out into the outer lane (assuming that it is clear to do so or slowing down as appropriate) when drivers in the inside lane wish to pass a slow moving vehicle in their lane or my use of the outer lane to overtake those 'middle lane hoggers' travelling at or around 65mph then I'm guilty as charged. But there is no way that I will change my driving style that has seen me be observant and courteous to my fellow drivers in particular drivers of heavy goods vehicles for over 45 years.

No doubt this post will create the usual indignation on the part of some...... but tough ......I a'nt going to change :lol: :lol: :lol

If you aren't going to change, then frankly I hope you're the next one fined. You seem wilfully to be ignoring the simple fact that IT IS ILLEGAL to sit in the middle lane and not pull in when not overtaking. :roll:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 am

Phil Anderer wrote:
Christies Child wrote:If driving at or around 70 mph in the middle lane but pulling out into the outer lane (assuming that it is clear to do so or slowing down as appropriate) when drivers in the inside lane wish to pass a slow moving vehicle in their lane or my use of the outer lane to overtake those 'middle lane hoggers' travelling at or around 65mph then I'm guilty as charged. But there is no way that I will change my driving style that has seen me be observant and courteous to my fellow drivers in particular drivers of heavy goods vehicles for over 45 years.

If you aren't going to change, then frankly I hope you're the next one fined. You seem wilfully to be ignoring the simple fact that IT IS ILLEGAL to sit in the middle lane and not pull in when not overtaking. :roll:

Looks as though the motorway police will have a busy time stopping the vast majority of drivers then...but of course they will not just as those driving in excess of 70 mph (and I bet you have done the same at some time ;) ) on the motorway are rarely prosecuted unless their speed is well in excess of the maximum speed limit.

At least I observe the 20mph through the village which as we both know the vast majority do not.
:!: :!: :!:
Christies Child

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Phil Anderer wrote:

Looks as though the motorway police will have a busy time stopping the vast majority of drivers then...but of course they will not just as those driving in excess of 70 mph (and I bet you have done the same at some time ;) ) on the motorway are rarely prosecuted unless their speed is well in excess of the maximum speed limit.

At least I observe the 20mph through the village which as we both know the vast majority do not.
:!: :!: :!:

Neil, I long ago decided that, since I can't undertake my chosen profession if I can't drive, I would refrain from speeding, including our 20mph zone in Storth. There are some stupid applications of such speed limits, the worst I know of being in Harrogate, but the one advantage of sticking to speed limits is it makes driving a little more relaxed, and indeed amusing when you see other drivers, particularly on motorways, suddenly slow down when they see a police car, while I serenely carry on at 70mph, only adjusting that if I have to because of the numpties in front suddenly dropping to 65.

Which discussion brings me onto another bugbear...

Those people who blithely ignore 20 and 30mph speed limits, but when you reach the 50 or 60mph limits, fail to get to close to the limit and slow you down. There again, naturally, once they reach the motorway the 70 isn't enough for them. :roll:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby MfcChris » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

This is unbelievable. CC should be prosecuted for just admitting he is a bad selfish motorway driver, but thinking he is doing others a favour! :roll:
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 pm

MfcChris wrote:This is unbelievable. CC should be prosecuted for just admitting he is a bad selfish motorway driver, but thinking he is doing others a favour! :roll:

So you have never exceeded a speed limit....or driven in a way that affects those around you..... :?: :?:

But then again tricycles aren't allowed on a motorway..... ;)
Christies Child

Next

Return to General Discussion