Stav released

Stav released

Postby Kendalshrimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 am

Looks like discussions never went well over a new deal, so this means well now see a new keeper next season ? Time for Scotty Davies ?
Kendalshrimp

Re: Stav released

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:26 am

From the OWS:

Morecambe Football Club have today announced that Andreas Arestidou’s contract will not be renewed due to a reduction in the 2015/16 playing budget.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Uni Red » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:34 am

A 'reduction in the 2015/16 playing budget' and signing Scott Davies don't seem to fit together.
He's magic you know, our Jim
Uni Red

Postby Kendalshrimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 am

A reduction in the budget :shock:

I'd of guessed that the players brought in replacing the ones already released will of been on more money that the them and if anything there would of been a rise in the budget if anything. Someone's about to get sold I think !
Kendalshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:17 am

Extremely tough on Stav in my opinion.

Strange that he's offered a new deal and then told he's surplus to requirements due to budget constraints.

Let's just hope that Baz has recovered from his injury otherwise without a proven goalkeeper at our level we could be in trouble. We could of course go down the Accy route and rely on loan keepers but not my preferred way.....

:o :o :o
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am

Kendalshrimp wrote:Looks like discussions never went well over a new deal, so this means well now see a new keeper next season ? Time for Scotty Davies ?

You've never mentioned it

Stav has been a great servant to the Club from the bench. Don't think we could have had a much better no.2 who was prepared to sit it out for season after season. Good luck to him.

Will be fascinating how the Baz situation develops.

Can't have the luxury of 2 x permanent no.1''s at the same time
Last edited by marky No.1 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:35 am

Kendalshrimp wrote:Looks like discussions never went well over a new deal, so this means well now see a new keeper next season ? Time for Scotty Davies ?

Can't quite see how we would release Andreas due to budget cuts but then bring in Scott Davies??

I can see young Tom Stewart being the bench warmer personally.

( Or Lee Jones :lol: )
Seasider9601

Postby Kendalshrimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:39 am

Seasider9601 wrote:

Can't quite see how we would release Andreas due to budget cuts but then bring in Scott Davies??

I can see young Tom Stewart being the bench warmer personally.

( Or Lee Jones :lol: )

To be honest I didn't see the full news on his release when I started the thread, only seen it was due to a budget cut afterwards. We can't go into the season with this Stewart kid on the bench even if baz is fit. My much preferred option would be Danny ward on loan for a few months as he won't be getting a look in now Liverpool have signed Adam bodgan as their number 2
Kendalshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am

Kendalshrimp wrote:We can't go into the season with this Stewart kid on the bench even if baz is fit.

Why not?

A couple of seasons ago we went though a full season with young Laurie Walker on the bench and the season after that with another young lad, Shaun Routledge.

Both for the full seasons.

Ok, they weren't ever called upon (we got loans in, Anyon for one) but they were there bench warming.
Seasider9601

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:08 am

Seasider9601 wrote:
Kendalshrimp wrote:We can't go into the season with this Stewart kid on the bench even if baz is fit.

Why not?

A couple of seasons ago we went though a full season with young Laurie Walker on the bench and the season after that with another young lad, Shaun Routledge.

Both for the full seasons.

Ok, they weren't ever called upon (we got loans in, Anyon for one) but they were there bench warming.

Exactly, we've been doing it for years. Even Scott Davies fulfilled this role for a while where he was there only as an emergency incase the first choice goalkeeper got injured during a match. If the first choice goalkeeper then wasn't fit for the following game we would get a loan keeper in to cover.

Ian Dunbavin, Ben Smith & Chris Kettings all spring to mind along with Anyon as you've already mentioned.
Shrimpy

Postby MfcChris » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I think budget reduction is the official line.

More like he was offered similar wages and Stav wanted more and both couldn't negotiate to an agreement.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby black morse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Can see why it's ended up this way but I have a bit of unease with it. We are banking on Baz coming back from a long lay off and being as good as he was. Some players never get back to their best after such a long time out but I assume that Jim is happy to run with the chance. It's just dimmed my optimism a little bit :(
black morse

Postby halfwayprawn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Just when a young goalie starts to get a bit of confidence and gets man of match awards we get rid :roll: lets hope the pitches are not hard and that Barry doesn't get the same injury again.
halfwayprawn

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm

This is a big risk if we haven't got another keeper lined up IMO. I can understand what people are saying about previously having one keeper with a youngster on the bench and bringing in a loanee as and when required in order to utilise the playing budget in other areas. However, I think our situation with Barry has changed; it's quite a serious injury for a goalkeeper that he's coming back from.

I thought we had offered Stav a deal anyway? Does this mean he has rejected it or that we've withdrawn it?
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm

I was wondering that too RRW.

Last I heard, Stav and Chris Doyle had been made offers by the club for next season.
Seasider9601

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:29 pm

I agree with RedRedWine that it is a big risk especially that Jim has built a good squad this year. Why bring all these players in to improve the squad then to ruin it by not having a good keeper. As of yet we are not sure if Barry has got over his hip operation, so it makes you wonder if Scott Davies is being lined up on a return.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:33 pm

There is of course another way to look at this.

Maybe a deal to take Scott on a season long loan has been agreed with Fleetwood which would mean that we potentially would have had 3 pro goalkeepers on the books and therefore 3 wages which would have no doubt exceeded the budget assuming that Jimbo wants to have a reserve fund for bringing in another unproven striker (ie as Mullers last season) during pre season.

Nah.....no way...but.... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Jimbo won't have let him go without either being 100% sure Barry has made a full recovery or Scott Davis is willing to come in for more or less what Barry's on should we have to let him go.

Does anyone have any real idea as what is going on with Barry's recovery or indeed the signing of Davis? I know its silly season but where do all these rumours come from?

If the budget is tight, we will have to make do with one decent keeper and then muddle through with youth/loans if they do get injured. Anyone on decent wages needs to be playing regularly IMO.
Wild Bill

Postby Kendalshrimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Why is everyone panicking like we've lost our best player :lol:

The window doesn't shut for over another 2 months so there's plenty of time to get a new keeper in whether it's number one or two. If it turns out to be scotty or danny ward on loan then great, but I'm pretty sure Jim will have something lined up if baz isn't 100%. He probably wants to see how he goes on in pre season and if he's struggling then no doubt a new keeper will be here in time for Hartlepool away. I personally didn't rate stav so I'm glad to see him gone anyway. Had a few good games last seasons but a few terrible ones too costing us games !
Kendalshrimp

Postby black morse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Kendalshrimp wrote:Why is everyone panicking like we've lost our best player :lol:

The window doesn't shut for over another 2 months so there's plenty of time to get a new keeper in whether it's number one or two. If it turns out to be scotty or danny ward on loan then great, but I'm pretty sure Jim will have something lined up if baz isn't 100%. He probably wants to see how he goes on in pre season and if he's struggling then no doubt a new keeper will be here in time for Hartlepool away. I personally didn't rate stav so I'm glad to see him gone anyway. Had a few good games last seasons but a few terrible ones too costing us games !

Can't see anyone panicking. All we are saying is that goalkeeper is a vital position and it's a risk to go with Baz and a novice. If Scott or Danny are lined up for a loan, which I doubt, then surely we would have to pay wages in Scott's case or agree to play Danny regularly to give him playing time in his case. I'd be delighted to get either but I still can't see it happening unless there is an emergency with Baz.
black morse

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:06 pm

I presume if he was initially offered and new deal and then this, he was holding out for more.

It follows that we have probably decided that we can find someone as good (or more likely better) on cheaper terms.
Morecambe Jack

Postby KenH » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 am

To be honest, I was surprised that he was even offered a new contract in the first place. It was reported that Jim had said he wasn't going to have a permanent bench warming sub (was it the Fcom and AGM evening?). Stav had some shockingly poor games when Scott's loan finished, costing us some points that could have put us in a higher table position. If Jim had thought him up to the job, he wouldn't have brought in Danny Ward. True, Stav had a couple of good games, particularly the last after Danny Ward's loan finished. I suspect there were other reasons for offering a new contract, i.e. maybe Jim was contactually bound to offer a renewal contract due to number of appearances? We will never know if the contract offer was ever likely to be taken up - it may have been at much reduced terms that Andreas couldn't accept, or it may have been in the hope of selling Stav under contract to get some money for him. The budget cut is a smokescreen and convenient excuse in my opinion.
KenH

Postby Shrimpy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 am

Could be a case that Stav was offered a deal earlier on in the Summer, we've since been able to land Wildig, Murphy, Dugdale, Molyneux & Barkhuizen and that has eaten into the budget previously set aside for Stav therefore the offer has been pulled off the table.
Shrimpy

Postby morecambegeek » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 am

No confidence, directly responsible for several goals conceded and points dropped during his tenure, and kept on the bench when back to fitness when Ward was on loan is telling about what the management think with regards to his ability.

If we're going to have someone on the bench, rarely being used, it might as well be the young lad on a fraction of the wages of Andreas.

Good luck to Andreas, it's nothing personal, but we can get an equally capable deputy on less wages.
morecambegeek

Postby Lloydie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 am

What's Joe Lewis up to now his dire spell at Blackpool is over, did Cardiff release him? :evil: :evil:
Lloydie

Next

Return to General Discussion