Increase gate prices?

Re: Increase gate prices?

Postby cultured » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 pm

sw1980 wrote:Well for me - we have to long no further than the very poor signings the manager has made!!

like a previous poster said we are struggling to get high earners off the wage bill (who currently are no where near the first team starting eleven)

what a joke - this is why we will financially struggle because our manager makes terrible footballing decisions - for me the buck stops with him and the directors who are willing to sign players on long term contracts willy nilly

Really? This place goes mental when people leave when their one or two year deal runs out.
cultured

Postby George Dawes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:36 pm

campdave wrote:
DawZi wrote:you would like to think the board, if it looked Morecambe might struggle financially ie. points being deducted, then why not get rid of a few high earners who ain't even on the bench

How do you propose we do that without paying up their contracts?

As for increasing gate prices, at a time when we need as many people coming through the gate as possible, it sounds like a ridiculous idea.

pardon the expression!, i mean free transfers, to other clubs, in order to cut the wage bill, while the transfer window is open, rather than pay somebody £1000 a week or whatever there on, when like a lot of them there contract runs out in the summer anyway.
George Dawes

Postby outsider » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

ok let me put this straight I did not say lifetime season tickets should become invalid, i asked if they were for C.P. or MFC. As i then restated is was a genuine question not a big spoon.

Secondly Why the personal attack Mick?
OK, so now it's your turn to get a big wedge of money out to help the club.

Ok so i haven't been a MFC fan as long as you but does that make me less of a fan?

I have only been going to the pie for a couple of seasons since my lad got interested in football, in that time lets say

50 games at £13 = £650
2 jnr season tickets at £50 = £100
50 * 2 open the box tickets = £100
50 * 4 scratchcards at 25p = £50
2 adult shirts at £35 = £70
4 jnr shirts = £70 ish
pop, sweets, hot choc, etc = £100 ish

so thats over £1000 in just over 2 years. How much do i need to spend to be classed as a fan?

Then we wonder why we can't attract the casual fan to Christie :?
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby outsider » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Ok here's an idea or 3

1) When we move to Westgate lifetime season tickets become invalid (are they for C.P. :?: )

ok sorry i did say that.

I missed the DO out it should have read

1) When we move to Westgate DO lifetime season tickets become invalid (are they for C.P. :?: )

:oops: :oops:

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:55 pm

outsider wrote:ok let me put this straight I did not say lifetime season tickets should become invalid, i asked if they were for C.P. or MFC. As i then restated is was a genuine question not a big spoon.

Secondly Why the personal attack Mick?
OK, so now it's your turn to get a big wedge of money out to help the club.

Ok so i haven't been a MFC fan as long as you but does that make me less of a fan?

I have only been going to the pie for a couple of seasons since my lad got interested in football, in that time lets say

50 games at £13 = £650
2 jnr season tickets at £50 = £100
50 * 2 open the box tickets = £100
50 * 4 scratchcards at 25p = £50
2 adult shirts at £35 = £70
4 jnr shirts = £70 ish
pop, sweets, hot choc, etc = £100 ish

so thats over £1000 in just over 2 years. How much do i need to spend to be classed as a fan?

Then we wonder why we can't attract the casual fan to Christie :?

I was not making any personal attacks, that's why I left the paragraph space.
I answered your question in one.

Then made a general statement in another, I apologise if it didn't read that way but that is the way it was intended.

I do have a lifetime season ticket, my wife and son both attend matches on season tickets, granted my son takes advantage of the offer where if you pay up front for Football in the Community training sessions he gets a season ticket.
He also gets two full kits a season + all the other matchday accessories pop burgers etc that everyone with kids gets.
What I'm saying is that if I didn't have this ticket then I would be going on a normal season ticket, but my wife would not, put simply, we wouldn't be able to afford it. The club would not get anymore money, 'cos there ain't any.

I get sick of the "deadwood" comment first started by NSS's dad some years ago. They do not know what goes on when they are not there, they assume they know what's happening and then make disparging remarks accordingly. They do not know the whole story, not that I will offer any enlightenment, it's none of their business.
morecambe mick

Postby outsider » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 pm

ok, i am sorry i miss read what you said, i also saw how what i said could be mis-understood and tried to put that right.

onwards and eastwards to Grimsby if the fishy people can get the game on that is

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby Curly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am

North Stand Shrimp wrote:Those of you that bought life time season tickets.... have any of you got your value out of them yet? what I mean is, if you'd have been paying for each game, or for a season ticket each season you've had your lifetime ticket for, have you made your money back yet?

If you have then every game you go to now is kind of free isn't it?

Therefore you got your money's worth and now you're dead wood to the club in financial terms.

I know this sounds very hash and I know that at the time the large injection of cash would have been greatly needed, but I don't see how paying a four figure sum up front for something that saves you alot in the future is supporting the club more than paying week in week out especially at a time when regular income is needed.

I don't for one minute entertain the notion that the life time ticket holders should be made to pay anything further but I do resent any comment made that suggests being a life time ticket holder in some way makes you a better supporter, after all if all of us had the money at the time I think we would have all bought one when it was £1000 but look where the club would have been financially if that had happened!

On the matter of increased gate prices.... IMO an increase to £15 or £16 for the priviledge of watching league football in a brand new stadium in my home town would not bother me at all, but then the general apathy in this town towards Football and the tight-fistedness of the general public never suprises me!

1. I don't think holding a life time season ticket makes me a better supporter
2. I bought my LTST last year for £2500, so even if you include a price rise each year on the cost of a match ticket, I doubt I'll be getting any value from it for the next 8 to 10 years.
Anything could happen in that time, I could be living elsewhere etc.
3. It doesn't get me into any cup games, F.A, J.P.T, etc.
4. I'll bet there are less than one hundred LTST holders.
5. I still buy new shirts each season and spend money in the bar, open the box etc
6. As stated before by many others on SVs, the reason the club has less money now is due to the falling attendances, with more fans each week, we'd have more revenue. ;)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:08 am

Last edited by North Stand Shrimp on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby The Marksman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am

In conclusion, I think putting £2 on the price of a ticket is a good idea. I wouldn't miss £2 every couple of weeks, it's less than a pint.
The Marksman

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 am

The Marksman wrote:In conclusion, I think putting £2 on the price of a ticket is a good idea. I wouldn't miss £2 every couple of weeks, it's less than a pint.

Says who? :o We should be doing all we can to get more through the gate not taking advantage of the loyalty of the hardcore fans! What we think is not half as important as the fair weather fans on this issue. I hope the club realise this. How can we survive long term on crowds of 2000?
Wild Bill

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:28 am

The Marksman wrote:In conclusion, I think putting £2 on the price of a ticket is a good idea. I wouldn't miss £2 every couple of weeks, it's less than a pint.

Doing something like that only raises expectation. This place would go into meltdown if we did that and didn't end up as champions of Europe next season.
campdave

Postby marky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:29 am

I think it can be taken as read that prices will increase once we move based purely on much better facilities. But under no circumstances should prices be raised whilst we're still at CP.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby cultured » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:34 pm

campdave wrote:

Doing something like that only raises expectation. This place would go into meltdown if we did that and didn't end up as champions of Europe next season.

What you said.

At a time where the club needs all the goodwill to get all the fans in that it can, the farce regarding the abandoned games and paying full price to get back in is put further into perspective.

Had we played Bradford in the first half of the season at home, we wouldn't have this problem anyway.
cultured

Postby The Marksman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Wild Bill wrote:

Says who? :o We should be doing all we can to get more through the gate not taking advantage of the loyalty of the hardcore fans! What we think is not half as important as the fair weather fans on this issue. I hope the club realise this. How can we survive long term on crowds of 2000?

Says me, which is why I used the word "I". It's just an opinion! I don't think raising the entry fee by £2 would affect attendances all that much. A lot of floating fans have already drifted away since our first season in league two (leaving a greater percentage of fans who are the ones who'd go every week anyway), and I think the only thing that will get the floaters back is success on the pitch, which is less likely when you have a transfer embargo.
The Marksman

Postby Freez » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 pm

IMO -

We have recently enjoyed a sustained period of relative success and stability on the field. If you compare the period from JH taking over as manager to the present day we have been growing as a club both on and off the field.
Compared with the poor results/attendances from the mid 70's up to Griff taking over, barring a brief flirtation with the top six for three seasons with Joe Woj (not going there spelling wise!) otherwise we were a pretty dire non league team. Mid table NPL at best, gates of 300 on average.
When Jim took over we won promotion, averaged 500, Conference early days averaged around 1000, which to the long term fans of the time was a surprise and bloody amazing!
Then we began to finish in the top 6 regularly, we managed around 1200 on average.
Play-offs introduced and suddenly an extra promotion place up for grabs, more full time teams and we start to creep up to 1400 hardcore.
The season we ended up in the play-off final at Wembley we played Aldershot on a Tuesday night in Feb (Still less than two years ago remember!) and scraped 1100 yet took ten times that amount three months later to London.

Our first season as a Football League club included a memorable Carling Cup run and some scintillating home victories such as Bradford, Chester and Peterborough.
However, the novelty of Christie Park as a new destination for away fans no longer exists, as demonstrated in the reduced away attendances by in form teams such as Rochdale and Darlington.
We managed over 2000 on Boxing Day, and that is about where I expect us to be in the attendance table.
If you were to take out last season on the attendance graph then we have steady growth year on year since the mid 90's.
However, the Wembley feelgood factor and inaugural season curiosity boosted our average way beyond my personal expectation, much as a few of us expected to average 7-800 in the Conference but we topped that.

SO (finally!!) to increase the gate revenue is the goal. Do you increase the charge to the faithful few or do you offer cheap season deals similar to Bradford?

To increase by a pound or two would not put me off, but I know of others who would be deterred, as the cost mounts up for two, or with kids for instance.
I believe Crusty Pie offers pretty decent value for money both with the product on offer and the food etc.

Personally, I was a regular travelling away from home throughout our Conference life, where all prices were similar,but have found it difficult to reconcile some prices with the product on offer in this division.
It is Conference at best in some places, substancially better at others but being persistently forced to sit and being charged over £20 to do it, is to me, a disgrace. Hence my away trips are a little more selective these days. There will be those who say "If you loved your team you would pay any amount?" and to an extent that sort of thinking exists in the mind of most football club administrators, and it is fundamentally wrong week in week out. Yes for a cup match or special game, not 44 games a season.
I used to watch the big boys regularly, Maine Road, Goodison Park, Old Trafford etc, but they priced themselves out of it as a weekly thing years ago, and non league was a refreshing value for money alternative, and still is. Our dream was to progress, progress means change, we are punching well above our weight at the moment and cannot hope to progress without the new ground and our chairman's generosity or both, and even then it will not guarantee on the field success.

11,000 peeps have a passing interest in The Shrimps, as proved at Wembley, half that and that could be our big game at home crowd, quarter it and maybe that is what we should be aiming for as an average. So 2,750? We hit that last season.

As for the discussion, we are nearly all the converted on here, we need to preaching to the 8000 or so lovely types who have paid us little attention since we went to the big arch in London.
Perhaps the new ground will generate a little more interest among the sceptics, but above all perfomances on the field and position in the table often dictate bums on seats.

If a good mate goes to see a film you want to see and tells you it is crap, do you still bother? This kind of talk happens in every pub in the town every day of the week.
Recently I spoke to a group of people who ask me how they played as they "heard they were crap", it always amazes me that some people are never satisfied. These chaps did'nt go but had been told by a bloke in the pub that it was crap and they didn't miss anything.

This was after Boxing Day!!!!

Anyway, following my Apsers style stream of drivel I would keep the prices as keen as possible, have 20 full time pro's only, do deals on season and half season tickets, two full price one half price bring a friend type games, free pie promotions, family fun days, community days etc. Compile a database of anyone whoever buys anything from a pie to a season ticket or who even walks past the ground and then emyther the buggers as soon as Sammy even farts.

£14 next season in the North Stand?

Keep the Faith, you have been a lovely audience, my names Ben Elton, GOODNIGHT!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby badger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I think morecambe fc must be running at a big loss at the moment .
badger

Postby badger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I think morecambe fc must be running at a big loss at the moment .
badger

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:24 pm

I mean absolutely no offence but YOU and people like you aren't the problem. People who would happily pay another couple of quid are (by and large) those who are already showing their support week in, week out.

The problem - as has been said - is how to capture those who don't come at the moment and increasing prices won't do that. It will only squeeze more cash out of those - like you - who are keen enough to come now.

I think ideas like the special offers on season tickets (or family offers etc) are always worth trying for and Bradford have shown the way with that kind of thing - others are sure to follow.

The club should try all that now and I'm sure they'll already be planning even more schemes when we move to the new stadium to capture new regular fans. More will come anyway because of better surroundings but that's no excuse for not trying other enticements.

I've discussed the possibility of a creche, for example, that the club seem to be looking at seriously. A lot of separated dads may have their kids at weekends, or mums and dads may want to go to games but have little kids who need entertaining so they often don't come.

They may pay a couple of quid per child to have them looked after somewhere at the new stadium while the game's on.

But, as Freez says, the big decider is performance on the pitch and if that improves, so will attendances.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby feelingguilty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Felt I had to register and comment on this post. Our club clearly has some issues at the minute - but I for one trust the management team we have to sort it out.

I do feel able to talk on the subject as it is fans like me who are partially responsible for the situation we are now in. In the late 80s / early 90s I hardly missed a home game and got to a lot of away games, mid 90s moved away and a home game was a 250 mile round trip but still got to most. Gradually over time, personal circumstances changed, got a better (longer hours)job, got a mortgage, got married etc,etc which meant the number if games I went to reduced. Went to Wembley (obviously) and attended a number of games last season because of the new teams involved. I am embarrassed to admit I have only been to two games this season and neither have been at home.

The key question is how do we fix this. Some of the suggestions made so far:

1) abolish lifetime season tickets - for all the reasons outlined above I think this is crazy
2) put the price up / down - what the right price is, is not easy to establish. Putting the price up may work or it may cause attendances to drop even further making the problem even worse. Who knows but this is a really risky plan.

What we all can do is individually look at ourselves and ask do we feel comfortable with what we have done over the last couple of years. If the answer is no do something about it.

Personally I have just answered no and therefore I decided to:
1) Post this message - will it help? probably not but made me feel better.
2) Next year buy a season ticket - knowing full well I will not get full value from it
3) Actually attend more games (and the easy bit - buy a pie and a pint!!!)

Some people will look at this and conclude they do feel comfortable (and given the time and effort they dedicate so they should) and therefore do nothing, others rather than moan should take personal action.

Have a few more ideas:
1) collection boxes at all games - if people do think they should contribute more they can.
2) encourage the local press to mobilise the fickle / non supporters - this could be a real turning point and Morecambe as a town needs to decide whether or not it wants a league football club. To be honest, not sure the majority of the town are that bothered.
3) pay a good accountant who really understands the rules and potentially adjust the numbers accordingly - cant believe we are the only club (I am not awaare of any with this issue) who faces this. - rugby league is notorious for clubs having players on massive contracts with no obvious revenue yet not breaching the salary cap.

Sorry for the long mail but if it prompts one person to take action it has worked.
feelingguilty

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 pm

feelingguilty wrote:Sorry for the long mail but if it prompts one person to take action it has worked.

And if that one person is you... even better!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Number 1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Money at the gate, as everyone knows, is only one aspect of revenue, which is why the new stadium is so important and so urgent. The new place, at a guess, will, I presume, at least double our revenue per season and not only that, will carry on earning through the summer. I don't even know when they assess our revenue to decide on the playing budget. For example, if we had a major sponsor put a load in tomorrow, how would that affect the revenue and therefore wages? Or do they say as of [date] your revenue was X, so you can only spend Y and it doesn't take into account the new money?

That said, we really do need to earn more on the non matchday side. The commercial aspect is often criticised, but it is crucial now that we look towards different revenue streams. When you consider that fantastic work that Janet and Stringy are doing with the FITC, it's a shame it doesn't translate too much to people through the gate or buying merchandise. Or if it does, then it means that other fans are not coming anymore.

Maybe more "Kids for a quid"* type promotions are the way forward. Or a system of collecting vouchers at games to translate into either money off merchandise or collect enough vouchers for a free ticket or something.

*Before anyone says it, kids for a quid means a full paying adult accompanying a child to the game who will pay £1 to get in. Not trade your kid for a quid. Whilst that idea is attractive, I'll head you off at the pass before you say it to stop the inane quote and comment scenario!
Number 1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Can I just say thanks to all those who have contributed to this subject. When I asked the original question I expected some negativity in your replies. However even those posts with a negative slant have been extremely constructive in their replies.

SV's at its best.

Cheers
CC
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Does the club not have a database of fans purchasing tickets for say the wembley game and people buying online from the club shop, would maybe offering discounts via email to try and get more people through the gates i.e bring a friend and both get in for twenty quid on production of a printed e voucher i know from having brought mates up from east lancs that they have enjoyed the day and would come again, every bit would help at the presant time
Blackburn shrimp

Postby badger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 am

I would be happy to pay an extra £2 a game.
but would the season ticket holders and the life time ticket holders be willing to pay £2 pound as well.
badger

Previous

Return to General Discussion