O/T Ireland

O/T Ireland

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat May 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Same sex marriage, big thumbs up from me that that they made the right "democratly" decision
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Re: O/T Ireland

Postby George Dawes » Sat May 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Christianity and the vows of the old testament says homosexual relationships are forbidden, so the Holy Bible is being re-written is it not?

but hold on! Henry the 8th made the COE just so he could divorce his wife and his own way with others.

and these Catholic Priests, and few years back who had their MASSIVE Pedophile ring exposed.

what a happy place this world would be without religion.
George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 pm

[quote="George Dawes"

what a happy place this world would be without religion.[/quote]
Cannot disagree with that George :D
shrimpnsave

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun May 24, 2015 11:27 am

I don't care one way or the other.
But do we really need to have the subject rammed down our throats?
A country with a population similar in size to Greater Manchester area votes for legalising gay marriage. Wow!
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby shrimperteer » Mon May 25, 2015 11:49 am

SolentShrimp wrote:I don't care one way or the other.
But do we really need to have the subject rammed down our throats?
A country with a population similar in size to Greater Manchester area votes for legalising gay marriage. Wow!

Yep, sounds like you have no opinion on it either way ;)
shrimperteer

Postby SolentShrimp » Tue May 26, 2015 9:46 am

shrimperteer wrote:Yep, sounds like you have no opinion on it either way ;)

I'm a little stumped where etiquette is concerned, so I've got some questions [or is it queeries ;) ]

How do you address married gay blokes? Is it Mr and Mr, or Mr and Mrs? Can a Mrs be a bloke?

Ditto with a lesbian marriage? Mrs and Mrs, or Mr and Mrs? Can a woman be a Mr?

Also, I was watching a programme on the telly yesterday.
There were a couple of married gay blokes.
One was called John and the other was called James.
When they were mentioned during the programme, it was always "...John and husband James". Why couldn't they be addressed as "...James and his wife John"?

Grateful if someone could answer my queeries?
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby morecambegeek » Tue May 26, 2015 10:17 am

Perhaps when you explain why it matters, we'll provide an answer.
morecambegeek

Postby SolentShrimp » Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am

I'm curious, and if I'm curious then other people may be curious too.
So if curiosity leads to a few reasonable questions, then it matters.
So now you know why it matters.
Answer or discuss further.

SolentShrimp

Postby Freez » Tue May 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Doesn't matter to me!! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Keith » Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

My female married friends refer to each other as their 'wife'. I don't know any married men but I would guess they would refer to each other as 'husband'.

But I really don't care what they call each other as long as they are happy together.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed May 27, 2015 8:07 am

Keith wrote: I don't know any married men but I would guess they would refer to each other as 'husband'.

Sir Elton John and his “wife” David Furnish have entered on the birth certificate of their two sons that David Furnish is the mother. I’m sorry!

That will give you an idea of how the concept of motherhood has emptied out. It’s gone, it’s been deconstructed!

SolentShrimp

Postby Keith » Wed May 27, 2015 8:21 am

So what does 'motherhood' mean? Why shouldn't it be deconstructed? Is maternal & paternal simply gender based? Or is motherhood only something that the woman who gives birth can lay claim to?

More importantly, why does it matter as long as the children are brought up in a loving environment and develop in to happy, decent human beings? Why does our society feel the need to worry about the children (who we will never meet) of famous people (who we will never meet)?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am

Keith wrote:So what does 'motherhood' mean? Why shouldn't it be deconstructed? Is maternal & paternal simply gender based? Or is motherhood only something that the woman who gives birth can lay claim to?

I thought that mothers could breastfeed?

Keith wrote:More importantly, why does it matter as long as the children are brought up in a loving environment and develop in to happy, decent human beings? Why does our society feel the need to worry about the children (who we will never meet) of famous people (who we will never meet)?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... geles.html

SolentShrimp

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 am

When these laws allowing Gay Marriage are passed, surely there has to be Convention and Etiquette that we can all relate to, and not something that those couples concerned can just make up their own rules as they go along.

As it stands, it's all confusing.

SolentShrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 am

SolentShrimp wrote:When these laws allowing Gay Marriage are passed, surely there has to be Convention and Etiquette that we can all relate to, and not something that those couples concerned can just make up their own rules as they go along.

As it stands, it's all confusing.

It's only confusing because you want to make it so, to justify your strong opposition to gay marriage and, presumably, homosexuality itself. Either that or you're a WUM, I can't quite decide - maybe it's a little of both. :roll:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 am

Phil Anderer wrote:It's only confusing because you want to make it so, to justify your strong opposition to gay marriage and, presumably, homosexuality itself. Either that or you're a WUM, I can't quite decide - maybe it's a little of both. :roll:

You've confused me!
I haven't stated anywhere that I'm opposed to gay marriage [or homosequality]. A lot of gays were opposed to gay marriage, does that make them bigots?

I'm not a WUM either, unless you infer that asking objective questions is being a WUM.

I'm confused because there doesn't appear to be any Convention or Etiquette attached to gay marriage.

SolentShrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:
Phil Anderer wrote:It's only confusing because you want to make it so, to justify your strong opposition to gay marriage and, presumably, homosexuality itself. Either that or you're a WUM, I can't quite decide - maybe it's a little of both. :roll:

You've confused me!
I haven't stated anywhere that I'm opposed to gay marriage [or homosequality]. A lot of gays were opposed to gay marriage, does that make them bigots?

I'm not a WUM either, unless you infer that asking objective questions is being a WUM.

I'm confused because there doesn't appear to be any Convention or Etiquette attached to gay marriage.

If it's really just a question of the etiquette, I personally would call men 'Mr' and women 'Ms', unless told otherwise. If it was really concerning me, I would ask the individuals politely (as I occasionally have to in my profession, when taking personal details). It may be that one is transgender and wants to use the new 'Mx' title. It's all fine by me.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Keith » Wed May 27, 2015 3:58 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:
Keith wrote:So what does 'motherhood' mean? Why shouldn't it be deconstructed? Is maternal & paternal simply gender based? Or is motherhood only something that the woman who gives birth can lay claim to?

I thought that mothers could breastfeed?

So a woman who adopts a baby should never be referred to as the child's "mother" because the criteria for being a "mother" is to have been able to breastfeed the child when it was a baby. How strange.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Wed May 27, 2015 4:53 pm

just two things(queries) with me and same sex couples adopting and potentially having kids.

1.] just think it's unfair on the kid, and fear the kid may be bullied through life and could grow up resentful of his adopted parents, or have mental issues due to the bullying or the feeling of being different to other kids.

2.] Morally with Women having test tube babies by giving birth to a child without making a baby naturally with a member of the opposite sex, it just doesn't seem right, although in time i'll probably get my head around it.
George Dawes

Postby shrimperteer » Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:
shrimperteer wrote:Yep, sounds like you have no opinion on it either way ;)

I'm a little stumped where etiquette is concerned, so I've got some questions [or is it queeries ;) ]

How do you address married gay blokes? Is it Mr and Mr, or Mr and Mrs? Can a Mrs be a bloke?

Ditto with a lesbian marriage? Mrs and Mrs, or Mr and Mrs? Can a woman be a Mr?

Also, I was watching a programme on the telly yesterday.
There were a couple of married gay blokes.
One was called John and the other was called James.
When they were mentioned during the programme, it was always "...John and husband James". Why couldn't they be addressed as "...James and his wife John"?

Grateful if someone could answer my queeries?

Is this an attempt at comedy are you a f*cking moron?
shrimperteer

Postby shrimperteer » Wed May 27, 2015 6:01 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:I'm curious, and if I'm curious then other people may be curious too.
So if curiosity leads to a few reasonable questions, then it matters.
So now you know why it matters.
Answer or discuss further.

I thought you might be a little curious.
shrimperteer

Postby Keith » Wed May 27, 2015 6:14 pm

George Dawes wrote:1.] just think it's unfair on the kid, and fear the kid may be bullied through life and could grow up resentful of his adopted parents, or have mental issues due to the bullying or the feeling of being different to other kids.

I can absolutely assure you, a child growing up in a loving, 'same-sex parents' environment will be far more stable & mentally healthy than a child growing up in a dysfunctional but 'traditional' family. Sadly, some of them may indeed experience bullying. But I'd suggest that the poor parenting of the bullies should concern society more than that of a loving gay/lesbian couple.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Keith wrote:
George Dawes wrote:1.] just think it's unfair on the kid, and fear the kid may be bullied through life and could grow up resentful of his adopted parents, or have mental issues due to the bullying or the feeling of being different to other kids.

I can absolutely assure you, a child growing up in a loving, 'same-sex parents' environment will be far more stable & mentally healthy than a child growing up in a dysfunctional but 'traditional' family. Sadly, some of them may indeed experience bullying. But I'd suggest that the poor parenting of the bullies should concern society more than that of a loving gay/lesbian couple.

Spot on Keith. On this twisted logic no one from any minority group should be allowed kids through fear of being bullied by the offspring of ignorant folk.

On marriage, its no ones business but those wanting to make the commitment. Any couple deserves to have the same legal rights regardless of their sexuality.
Wild Bill

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Does no one get IT :cry: its Religion thats the main perpetrator of what we think later in life

Its rammed down our throats from an early age.at least in the west we have managed to except Ppl as they are and not as religion wishes?
gay Ppl are slaughtered in muslim countries :cry:
shrimpnsave

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Keith wrote:

Spot on Keith. On this twisted logic no one from any minority group should be allowed kids through fear of being bullied by the offspring of ignorant folk.

On marriage, its no ones business but those wanting to make the commitment. Any couple deserves to have the same legal rights regardless of their sexuality.

its not twisted at all, we are a multicultural society, still have a lot of old fashioned folk, as well as certain religious groups, and migrants from eastern Europe and middle east etc what do not tolerate this behaviour or practices.

imagine a same sex couple with children on some rough housing estate like one or two I could mention around here, i'm sure life would be like a bed of roses?

just being realistic, not saying its right, there is a lot to think of before the powers that be, make any decisions.
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion