Retained List

Re: Retained List

Postby Kendalshrimp » Thu May 07, 2015 9:41 am

Didn't expect Hughes to go to be honest. Hope Jim has a decent CB lined up to replace him now. The rest are no shock to me some of them will of been big earners so can probably do better than what we had. Captain Paz or Kev now then ?
Kendalshrimp

Postby underbank » Thu May 07, 2015 9:59 am

Bit of a luxury having 3 quality CBs with Hughes, Parrish and Edwards. If Jim stays with that formation, then I think Paz in the middle with Edwards and Doyle either side is fine. In a 4 back, then Paz and Edwards with Doyle as the Sub. Remember we didn't have Edwards when Hughes joined, so there was definitely a gap back in Summer 13. Edwards was an extra body early 2014 who didn't replace anyone.
underbank

Postby Caged Lion » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 am

I'm ok with all that

I hope that Wilson Goodall Fleming and Ellison stay

Off to buy my season ticket now :)
Caged Lion

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:37 am

Interesting (and good) times ahead.

Glad I've already bought my season ticket.

Onwards and upwards.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 am

Christies Child wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if we saw changes in our defense.

If you look at the finishing table of those either promoted or in the play offs all but Stevenage have a far better defensive record than ourselves. To get into the play offs or better still direct promotion all the teams have let in no more than 45 (other than Stevenage who have 54 but have a far better goal scoring record.) All the promoted teams to date have let in no more than 40 and have scored considerably more.

So for me changes in defense are needed as well as in midfield who also have its share of defensive duties.

I honestly can't see a team who conceeded 52 goals getting promoted hence why for me changes are needed.

Looks like Hughes has been made scapegoat for poor defense this season. Can't say that I'm surprised to be honest as his awful distribution and lack of leadership on the field in taking responsibility for errors has been mentioned quite a few times on SVs. Jim must have replacement in mind OR is he going to bring in Doyle as a ready made replacement which for me would be a good idea... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 am

Christies Child wrote: poor defense
:o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Thu May 07, 2015 10:58 am

Would rather see an experienced defender come in who has played at either conference or league level rather than Doyle who has not had much last season. Would like Marc Roberts of AFC Halifax but we have no chance with the likes of Birmingham City chasing him.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 am

We had the 9th best defence in league two ... So not that shabby
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 am

Caged Lion wrote:I'm ok with all that

Flem & Kev have both signed 1 year deals, Flem has a 2nd year option
marky No.1

Postby Caged Lion » Thu May 07, 2015 11:24 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Caged Lion wrote:I'm ok with all that

Flem & Kev have both signed 1 year deals, Flem has a 2nd year option

I am a very happy little Vegemite hearing that news!
Caged Lion

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 07, 2015 11:41 am

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:We had the 9th best defence in league two ... So not that shabby

But 50+ goals against is NOT a promotion winning team. For me a defence that lets in circa 35 maximum is what is needed.

You build a successful team around a solid defence.

Interesting that Jimbo says that Fleming's second year option depends on the number of appearances in the coming season. The less the better for me but others will no doubt disagree.
Last edited by Christies Child on Thu May 07, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby Shrimpy » Thu May 07, 2015 11:48 am

Christies Child wrote:
Blackpool Shrimp wrote:We had the 9th best defence in league two ... So not that shabby

But 50+ goals against is NOT a promotion winning team. For me a defence that lets in circa 35 maximum is what is needed.

You build a successful team around a solid defence.

Burton conceded 39 and Bury 40 this season.

Wycombe conceded 45 and Stevenage 54 yet still got in the playoffs.

I think overall the defence was fine last season.

Rather than just concentrating on the defensive side of things we need to look at goal difference. Generally a goal difference in double figures in the positive direction is something for us to aim for along with 70 points if we want to finish in the top 7 next season.
Shrimpy

Postby Ntini » Thu May 07, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm pretty happy with that, and some good decisions made by Jim which must have been really hard to deliver. Remember, Jim has to sit in front of real people (who most have families to provide for) and now may well have to take a pay cut to go elsewhere. So hats off to Jim for doing what the club needed and reducing the wage bill to try and push on with improved quality where we can.

As for those having issues with Hughes being let go, we have two very good L2 central defenders in Paz and Edwards. Throw Beeley and Wilson into that as a back 4 and we have a very strong back line to start the season. We have also been nurturing Doyle for the last two seasons, a season of him being understudy to Paz & Edwards will only bring him on further. We then have McGowan and Goodall to cover the full back positions and we all know how versatile Paz can be when we need it.

IMO we can't afford to have 4 players on our books at centre half when we need to strengthen elsewhere. I would guess that Hughes would have been the highest earner by far, and so it has to be him that gets cut.

--------------------ROCHE-------------------
BEELEY---PARRISH---EDWARDS---WILSON
DEVITT----KENYON---FLEMING---ELLISON
-----------REDSHAW---MULLIN-------------

ARESTIDOU; DOYLE; GOODALL; McGOWAN

Formation open to debate, but you get the gist. That's a pretty good core to work from. Clearly if the quality is available to improve us, then you take it, but I would have to say that defence is the least of my worries.

I would want to start strengthening that with two central midfielders (Wildig as one?), a wide man (left?) and a front man. It will be an interesting month or so, but again it looks like we will have strong squad to start the season with.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby MfcChris » Thu May 07, 2015 12:22 pm

CC is a joker. The defence this season has probably been our best. 9th best (was 7th best at one point) and 12 clean sheets.

Goals and mainly assisting goals was the problem against lower sides. (12 games without scoring)

And then break that down at home. Our most scores at home was 3 x 0-0 & 3 x 0-1.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Agreed, Ntini, although Kenyon is yet to be sorted.

This with Drummy, Wright, Williams gone and Wildig gone home leaves a few gaps ready for our new look midfield
Last edited by marky No.1 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marky No.1

Postby underbank » Thu May 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Christies Child wrote:Interesting that Jimbo says that Fleming's second year option depends on the number of appearances in the coming season. The less the better for me but others will no doubt disagree.

I think it's a warning shot for Flemmo to step up a gear. Probably a border line decision for Jim whether to keep him or not. With a couple of new midfielders this Summer, I think Flemmo will have to really improve if he wants to remain a regular starter. It's no good being a fancy player and stealing balls if you havn't thought it through as to what to do with it. He also needs to learn which direction he's playing. He's the main culprit for the passes back to our defence. He's got the skills but he needs to improve his playing intelligence to make something of them.
underbank

Postby underbank » Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Agreed, Ntini, although I don't think Goodall will be here and Kenyon is yet to be sorted.

Goodall's contract (and Wilson) is extended due to number of appearances. Kenyon is under contract until next year. So both are contractually here to stay for 15/16. I think recent improvements all but guarantee Kenyon a regular start. Goodall is handy to have on the bench as a midfield or left back substitute.
underbank

Postby KenH » Thu May 07, 2015 12:49 pm

Happy with who's staying and who's going to be honest. Very impressed that Jim's had the confidence to make such tough decisions. A strong line up for next season and with a few new faces this Summer it could be our best yet. Well done Jim & Ken. It can't have been easy but that's what management is all about. After quite a bit if despair at times last season, I'm looking forward to August!
KenH

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 pm

MfcChris wrote:CC is a joker. The defence this season has probably been our best. 9th best (was 7th best at one point) and 12 clean sheets.

Goals and mainly assisting goals was the problem against lower sides. (12 games without scoring)

And then break that down at home. Our most scores at home was 3 x 0-0 & 3 x 0-1.

As I said before it's all a matter of opinion. How anybody can be satisfied with a defence that has let in 52 goals and expects us to be in a promotion battle is beyond me. I agree we need to score more goals but I reiterate that a team with aspirations of promotion is built on a sound defence.

As for the joker reference...... :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Christies Child

Postby morecambegeek » Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 pm

52 goals is barely an average of more than one a match.

Whilst I'd like us to concede less and score more, for our budget, and considering the sticky mid season form, I don't think we've done badly.

What I do hope is that the release of Hughes means we might be moving away from 5 at the back to perhaps more like the system that played so well against Portsmouth at home recently.
morecambegeek

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
Aye! I spat me false teeth out :shock:
George Dawes

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:04 pm

George Dawes wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

Yeah, it's spelt with a C
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 pm

George Dawes wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

:shock: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 pm

I think Fleming as been lucky to get another deal, when you look as his fitness record and inconsistent form being in and out of the team.

I can see where Jim is coming from with Goodhall, with Drummond hanging his boots up. nice to have an experienced old head doing a holding midfield job.
George Dawes

Postby MfcChris » Sat May 09, 2015 10:33 am

Christies Child wrote:
MfcChris wrote:CC is a joker. The defence this season has probably been our best. 9th best (was 7th best at one point) and 12 clean sheets.

As I said before it's all a matter of opinion. How anybody can be satisfied with a defence that has let in 52 goals and expects us to be in a promotion battle is beyond me. I agree we need to score more goals but I reiterate that a team with aspirations of promotion is built on a sound defence.

As for the joker reference...... :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Who are they?
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion