Morecambe 1 Accrington 1 [Ellison] PLAYER THREAD

Re: Morecambe 1 Accrington 1 [Ellison] PLAYER THREAD

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 pm

How bad is Hughes injury ??? Did we miss him when he went off ???
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:How bad is Hughes injury ??? Did we miss him when he went off ???

The Hughes critics would be very disappointed to see an absolutely sensational overhead clearance off the line in the first half when it was 0-0.

IMHO we missed him.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Indeed, an unbelievable clearance that !! Top drawer !!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:55 pm

I don't get to see that many Morecambe games so I thought today would be a good one to choose. Arrived late due to M6 chaos. I thought the first half was well contested on and off the pitch. Their goal came from two poor clearances. Second half began well but the sending off did us no favours. Stanley worked very hard and stopped us playing. I lost count of the number of times we got the ball in midfield and there were no options for the pass. There is a complete lack of midfield creativity not helped by playing forwards in there. The defence looks ok and it's hard to judge how good the forwards can be but they were feeding off scraps all match. If there are funds to spend then the priority is for a creative midfield player
paulshrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:00 pm

So what you are saying Paul is that we are not far off .... Nice balanced opinion,dont see much of that on here anymore
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks, BS
paulshrimp

Postby Now_Then » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:26 pm

I really enjoyed the first half with a couple of goals, touchline argy bargy and a few tasty tackles all chucked in. It is horrible to see my childhood hero acting like a nob but I will always love Coley!

After their lad had been sent off, I was hoping Jim would make assertive changes at half time and bring on Podge or Mullin in place of one of the Midfield three which would see us really take the game to a poor Stanley side. They were a man down and we don't have anything to lose so we could let loose and smash the hoodoo. In reality, we came out and plodded along as usual with no attacking changes made until the 70th minute. Stanley tightened up and went really narrow which should have played in to our hands. We had no pace down the flanks and badly passed it around in front of them for 50minutes without bothering them. We created no clear cut chances and in the end were hanging on ourselves!

We look desperate and shoddy when we chuck on four strikers who run round like headless chickens. In the last 5 minutes, Mullin was in the left wing back position and totally out of the game! Yes we missed a penalty, the goal that never was and a couple of shots but all in all we were very poor again.
Now_Then

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Totally agree with that, although you could have saved a few seconds by omitting the words" down the flanks" after "lack of pace". There is a lack off pace generally in the team. If you have a quick player then you can work on his skills but there aren't that many very good slow players around. I did say not many rather than none before anyone jumps down my throat. The players seemed very nervous in the second half and preferred a safe sideways pass to something a bit more adventurous going forward. This was probably due to a combination of poor recent home form and the fear of losing to Stanley with ten men
paulshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Genuinely sorry to say but that was simply not good enough especially against an Accy team down to 10 men and short on confidence after a poor run of results. The possession stats of 46%for us and 54% for them sums up the game in a nutshell.

Some drastic action has to be taken this close season by the Board to stop this decline in home performances which is and will continue to drive fans away who simply want to watch a team who provide on going entertainment as they used to do at the beginning of the season. What has gone wrong between then and performances over the last few months is a mystery but for me the tactics of our game must be questioned..... :?:

Accy were there for the taking today but we seemed to lack the drive or desire to put them to the sword. Once again Jack was marked out of the game for growing periods by their man mountain at the back and yet it takes until late in the game for obvious changes to be made.

As in other games too many wasted passes that didn't find their man and it was just far too easy for Stanley who as the game progressed looked the more likely to score....and that with only 10 men.

As I've said 'simply not good enough' and the management team have some serious work to do over the coming months to look not only at the teams performance but their own as well. Someone pointed out to me in the pre match warm up how Accy's preperation was high intensive whilst ours looked far too casual.
Last edited by Christies Child on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:40 pm

It isn't good enough but no doubt we will start next season well. get in a good position by Christmas and our management team will be offered a new contract, then just like the decorations we will come down and struggle as we have done the last few seasons! Why do so many players arrive with good pedigree then gradually decline in to shadows of their former selves? Coaching? Management? It happens to so many of our players. I think we have the best squad we/ve ever had but they don,t seem to play with a positive forward attitude.So many backward and sideways passing even today when we had a numerical advantage! They just seem to want to try not to lose never mind trying to actually win a game!! So frustrating
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby RedRedWine » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Those that go to games and/or buy programmes (or get people to send used ones before flogging them on eBay) should look at the results/line-up page at the back and study at the position column which states our league standing after each game.... It's quite interesting IMO with a definite correlation.

I filled in with some punditry on player today in the absence of Freez... Have to say that it was very difficult to pass comment on the second half, so frustrating and plainly obvious what the problem was. We lacked composure and wasted opportunities to create an opening by selecting the wrong pass or taking on an ambitious shot when better options were available. We didn't have a shot on target for the entire second half against 10 men... Which included a missed penalty from Wilson.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Posh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 pm

Came out well second half until we missed penalty at which point we almost gave up.

At that point in the game the difference was Devitt putting in some great passes on the deck and Wildig trying to break through from midfield. So Jim decided to kill the game completely by taking both off and putting on two strikers in their place. Our problem was getting past their three centre backs. As a result of the subs we started playing down the middle and they soaked it up so easily. Devitt offered width but was gone, Ellison chose to go down the middle with everyone else, and we hoped for something from Willo and Beeley who were tracked by their facing full backs. Terrible substitutions and game over.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby RedRedWine » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Personally I thought Devitt and Wildig both had poor games and weren't making a positive impact. A big problem inherent within the squad is that we really do lack options to change the game in the middle of the park. Goodall came on for the injured Hughes, but other than one brilliant cross field pass to Ellison (who head down collect the ball and took it into traffic instead of putting in either Redshaw or Devitt for a free run on goal) he did little and was let down by poor control that put us under pressure.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Posh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Not saying that either played well but they posed a threat and offered some creativity. Four strikers playing up front offered nothing because they had to drop deep, wide anything to try and get the ball. By the end we just looked shambolic.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby KIPAX » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 pm

KIPAX

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Poor Peter Day, what a match to be doing a sponsored silence at...

“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby MfcChris » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:35 am

Not much point saying what everyone else had. Great game it had everything with everything going our way but a poor second half with no ideas cost us the win we desperately want. Boring clueless tactically inept Morecambe yet again.

I am all for putting strikers on to try and win a game but it becomes more evident every time that 4 strikers actually makes us worse! Too much hoof up and hope too with Redshaw, Wildig and Devitt not having good games. Wilson was terrible after his miss and Beeley wasn't him self he usually takes men on high up for fun, he must have been told not to.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby halfwayprawn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:54 pm

That was probably a good time to be silent :D
halfwayprawn

Postby MfcChris » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:13 pm

I don't think Fleming has got any credit for his performance yesterday. He was brilliant. Every time he usually gets the ball he automatically turns his back to goal and passes backwards, but yesterday every time he looked forward, turned forward, make key passes and runs. He was a different class.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:58 pm

FLEMING :lol: :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:24 am

mrpotatohead wrote:FLEMING :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :x :lol: :lol:
Kendalshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:38 am

MfcChris wrote:I don't think Fleming has got any credit for his performance yesterday. He was brilliant. Every time he usually gets the ball he automatically turns his back to goal and passes backwards, but yesterday every time he looked forward, turned forward, make key passes and runs. He was a different class.

Wasn't he voted MoM by the sponsors... :?: :?: :?:

I seem to recall the Radio Lancashire commentators surprised by their decision.... :o :lol: :lol:

I personally would have given it to..... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Well it's happened again. Like a Game of Thrones script, the ones who deserve something get nothing, and the the ones who deserve nothing get nothing but then the unseen forces intervene and they get something.
If you follow me.... so the usual Morecambe/Accrington scenario plays out.
Hughes clears off the line, then Accy hit the crossbar, and I am thinking "oh good omen, they should have scored and they haven't."
Then a false sense of security looms in the shape of the Shrimps actually taking the lead.
But of course soon the reality comes back again....Winter is coming.... three minutes later a player who has never scored this season tries a cross which somehow ends up in the back of the net. well, what did i expect?
Of course it ended up in the back of the net, after all this is Accrington we are playing!!

Then Accrington have a man sent off, again this leads to more misplaced hope that things will change.
We have the whole of the second half to win this game against ten men! :)
But the unseen dark forces are at work again. As in Game of Thrones, you think you have someone in your sights to bump off, then you get the Grim Reaper treatment yourself. :evil:
Devitt scores but of course he doesn't really score, it's all in my imagination, like a bad dream, a living nightmare. :(
Then a penalty. Lawrence Wilson won't miss, he always scores does our Willow, but this is Accrington don't forget, and Scott Davies is in goal. I knew he would miss before it happened. Those dark forces again.
And as I predicted, Accrington's ten men battled for their lives (as they always do against us) and got the draw. Nothing else to do, nothing else to say. Goodbye.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:10 pm

:lol:

:cry:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby halfwayprawn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Totally agree with mfcChris about Flemming I thought he had good game i also thought Andy Parrish had a good game especially his heading ability.
halfwayprawn

Previous

Return to General Discussion