Live Player thread v the Shrews from somewhere...

Re: Live Player thread v the Shrews from somewhere...

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Wonder what the rose tinted glasses brigade have to say about tonight .....??
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:24 pm

well blackpool, it give you,kendalshrimp etc. something to gloat about ,so its not all bad :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:Were there a 1,000 home fans there?

1117 with a full room in hospitality
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

No Sampson or Williams in squad tonight ...... Were they injured or just left out
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Just left out according to Adam Lord on Twitter
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Loan moves for both maybe ??
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:33 pm

I want the team to win as much as anyone else spudman but I just think we have become very stale
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:40 pm

there cannot have been 1100 plus home fans,as the attendance was 1350 and the away section was very busy,id say 1000 home fans would be around the mark,so a good 15-20% er hospitality counting the boxes.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Shrews played really well in first half and magically passed around the bobbles that we seem to have trouble with. We hardly made a pass to a red shirt till we scored - never seen a goal scored so much against the run of play!
Very strange what happens to us in the New Year :?

mrpotatohead wrote:there cannot have been 1100 plus home fans,as the attendance was 1350 and the away section was very busy,id say 1000 home fans would be around the mark,so a good 15-20% er hospitality counting the boxes.

Morecambe FC @ShrimpsOfficial · 3h 3 hours ago
ATTENDANCE: This evening's crowd at the Globe Arena is 1,363, with 246 travelling from @shrewsweb. Safe trip back to all.
marky No.1

Postby Morecambe Shrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15 am

Struggling to understand why with in essence the same group of lads as the start of the season we have gone from a clean, crisp passing side to long ball merchants in recent weeks at least. If we wanted to do this then surely you would have Sampson as the target man with Jack playing off him.
Morecambe Shrimp

Postby lancaster shrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:22 am

Morecambe Shrimp wrote:Struggling to understand why with in essence the same group of lads as the start of the season we have gone from a clean, crisp passing side to long ball merchants in recent weeks at least. If we wanted to do this then surely you would have Sampson as the target man with Jack playing off him.

Plus one and if you ask me, its been like that ever since Jims been in charge?
lancaster shrimp

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 am

We've used 20 players this season by my reckoning. That includes Doyle and McGowan who never play, Roche who's been out for months and Sampson and Williams who've been disregarded. Add to that two 35+ players and there's your answer. Knackered.

One doesn't wish to bang on about the lack of brass, but it's the same every year.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 am

Knackered now your having a laugh ... Was it Aston Villa who won the league in the 70s having only used something like 13 players all season (hardly any subs in them days either)
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby underbank » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 am

goneshrimping wrote:We've used 20 players this season by my reckoning. That includes Doyle and McGowan who never play, Roche who's been out for months and Sampson and Williams who've been disregarded. Add to that two 35+ players and there's your answer. Knackered.

One doesn't wish to bang on about the lack of brass, but it's the same every year.

Just highlights the insanity of constantly doing the same thing (same team) and expecting different results. We had a smaller/less experienced squad last season but playing no better this year with an extra body or two and more experienced players. Jim could have 30 players and he'd still pick the same starting 11 week in, week out, after poor performances. I don't buy this "knackered" excuse - they're all lively enough when they want to be and most look fitter than ever, but there's just no cohesion, teamwork, strategy nor any sense of having a plan - just like 11 people who've never played before, all doing their own thing.
underbank

Postby morecambegeek » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:32 am

My thoughts about last night

1) 4-1 flattered Shrewsbury. They were a good side, and I think they were playing within themselves for long periods, especially when we went down to 10 men, and they turned the screws in the last 10 minutes when we tired. We were poor on the ball, and spent a lot of time chasing shadows, and in isolation, last nights result against of one the best sides in the league isn't awful - but it feels much, much worse in light of the awful home run we're on.

2) There were never 1300-odd people there. A lot of season ticket holders must have stayed at home, and who can blame them?

3) Sampson made an impact on Saturday when he came on, so it was disappointing he didn't make the bench. Taking off Beeley when Arestidou got sent off and taking one of the few players with pace off who could have helped us break seemed bonkers, though he did get a hefty knock on Saturday so perhaps that was partially the reason. I know Williams has fans on here, but I think he's too lightweight against most of the sides in this league, and think he would have been swatted aside easily last night.

4) We rely on Drummond coming in to steady midfield too much. He's a good player, and still performing well considering his age, but sooner rather than later, he won't be able to do this.

5) Why was the scoreboard not switched on? Is money that tight?

6) Arestidou is not good enough to be a League 2 keeper. It doesn't help that the defence in front of him is jittery, but he makes too many mistakes.

7) We can talk about budgets all we like, and I do agree that the club is out performing their budget. However, the team can be doing well considering the budget, but capable of doing better - as the difference in performance away from home and at the Globe appears to indicate. We can argue til we're blue in the face about if it's tactics, the atmosphere or whatever it is, but the bottom line is that we are simply not good enough at home, and something needs to be done about it.
morecambegeek

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Knackered now your having a laugh ... Was it Aston Villa who won the league in the 70s having only used something like 13 players all season (hardly any subs in them days either)

No, Liverpool. 1978/79 I think :geek:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Knackered now your having a laugh ... Was it Aston Villa who won the league in the 70s having only used something like 13 players all season (hardly any subs in them days either)

Bloody hell john that's over 40 years ago! Things have changed a bit, half of them would have had a fag at half time too.

What I would say is that now we are firmly ensconced in mid table, it's surely time to blood a few kids and see what they do. Change is as good as a rest and all that.

It was at this point last season jim started to get players in to get ready for next season and I expect to see the same again
SupermarketShrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 am

Lost count of the times we try and make a sub as a reaction to us normally being behind and putting a striker on. It seems to take ages, then hey presto while said player is warming up they score another!
Shrewsbury did keep the ball in play and had total possession before they scored their 3rd...

All this post match discussion and we havn't had the calming influence of CC yet
marky No.1

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:06 am

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Wonder what the rose tinted glasses brigade have to say about tonight .....??

I'd normally class myself in that category, but I think last night was possibly the worst Morecambe performance I've seen in the league. This isn't about the result, either, as if you check earlier in the thread I described us as 'utter garbage' before a goal had been scored. I would disagree with Morecambegeek's comment about the scoreline flattering Shrewbury, as if anything it flattered us.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:23 am

Agree they were not flattered at all, gave us the runaround from the start. Was amazing we scored first, was 4 minutes of wonder then reality returned with 2 gift goals. When we went down to 10 men we just decided to keep the scoreline down never mind trying to get into the game, it was hard work getting into their half! Shocking performance, no desire, urgency, tactics. 9 games left 11 points off the bottom, where are the 3 or 4 points coming from to keep us safe? Only Cheltenham have dropped further than us and they sacked their manager!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby underbank » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29 am

8/11 players were defensive, only 3 were attacking, and they still battered us 4-1. At the start of the season, everyone was saying how solid our defence was. Presumably Jim put Drummy and Wright on as experienced old hands to protect our defence even more, but it backfired spectacularly as they were the two worst players on the pitch last night and were constantly causing problems to our back line with their wayward passes and wayward clearances - time and time again gifting the ball to the Shrews often in dangerous positions. Time for Wright to go this Summer and for Drummy to retire from the pitch I'm afraid. Please can we have Williams, Kenyon and Goodall back for the next match as, in my opinion, they're no worse than Drummy, Wright and Flemmo, but at least have some sparkle and enthusiasm and know in which direction the opposition's goal is (all Flemmo did last night was back pass!).
underbank

Postby Christies Child » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:57 am

Sorry Jimbo but simply last night was not good enough and in my opinion you can't be excluded for some of the blame.

The team selection from the off was strange. You knew that they had a very strong and tall back line but you persisted with playing Jack who was man marked by probably the tallest defender on the pitch. Surely Mullers was the man to pit against that man mountain to provide some element of competition in one to one situations :?: Jack in my opinion should have played off Mullers who when he finally came on at least offered some worrying moments to their defence.

And why do our forwards play too far off the oppositions back line :?: The vast majority of top teams use a central striker playing off the shoulder of the oppositions last man which puts their man under constant pressure.

For me we persisted (yet again) with too many long balls and cross field passes that rarely reached their intended target. It was in a short period of play just prior to our goal that we played it short and on the deck that suggested that had we continued with that method of play that the scoreline would have been much better.

Once again our midfield was non existing and why Goodall remained on the bench was a mystery. Fleming as has been pointed out by other SVers was totally ineffective and 'bottled' out of far too may challenges and the least said about his passing the better! Interestingly that both you and Ken had to constantly keep telling him where to position himself particularly to get forward..... :o

And why do we persist with Kevin for another full 90 minutes? The guy must be completely knackered considering the season he's had to date. He's been an excellent servant but to play him for another 90 is asking too much.

Stav took one for the team in my opinion and doesn't deserve the stick he is getting from some and now faces a possible 3 match ban :?: that will lead to a goalkeeping crisis. Could we see Lee Jones make a temporary come back I wonder?

All in all a worrying time for everybody and their will be more than a few of us looking over our shoulders at the League table between now and the end of the season.

It's all so sad when yet again we start the season in such sparkling form to be in the situation we now find ourselves in.............. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Christies Child on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Christies Child wrote:Sorry Jimbo but simply last night was not good enough and in my opinion you can't be excluded for some of the blame.

The team selection from the off was strange. You knew that they had a very strong and tall back line but you persisted with playing Jack who was man marked by probably the tallest defender on the pitch. Surely Mullers was the man to pit against that man mountain to provide some element of competition in one to one situations. Jack in my opinion should have played off Mullers who when he finally came on at least offered some worrying moments to their defence.

For me we persisted (yet again) with too many long balls and cross field passes that rarely reached their intended target. It was in a short period of play just prior to our goal that we played it short and on the deck that suggested that had we continued with that method of play that the scoreline would have been much better.

Once again our midfield was non existing and why Goodall remained on the bench was a mystery. Fleming as has been pointed out by other SVers was totally ineffective and 'bottled' out of far too may challenges and the least said about his passing the better!

And why do we persist with Kevin for another full 90 minutes? The guy must be completely knackered considering the season he's had to date. He's been an excellent servant but to play him for another 90 is asking too much.

Stav took one for the team in my opinion and doesn't deserve the stick he is getting from some and now faces a possible 3 match ban that will lead to a goalkeeping crisis. Could we see Lee Jones make a temporary come back I wonder?

All in all a worrying time for everybody and their will be more than a few of us looking over our shoulders at the League table between now and the end of the season.

It's all so sad when yet again we start the season in such sparkling form to be in the situation we now find ourselves in.............. :cry: :cry: :cry:

With regard to Goodall , his 1 year contract has a clause that if he plays a certain number of games he automatically receives another year's contract. I suspect he is approaching that "trigger" and Jim is not playing him to keep his options open at the end of the season.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Teams like Morecambe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Christies Child wrote:Stav took one for the team in my opinion and doesn't deserve the stick he is getting from some and now faces a possible 3 match ban that will lead to a goalkeeping crisis.

I don't think people are criticising him for the sending off as he was completely exposed by our defence. It's the frequent mistakes and complete lack of confidence that he spreads through the team. I may be wrong but I thought a straight red card results in a one match ban unless it's for violent conduct then it becomes a three match ban.
Teams like Morecambe

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Taking out a forward baring down n goal as the last man seems pretty violent to me! I thought it would be 3 games? Next 3 games all against teams below us...should we be worried? Damn right
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion