No Midfield - again !

No Midfield - again !

Postby sandgrown » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:22 pm

whats the point in having Redshaw, Mullin, Amond and Ellison on the field when there is no service to them; all we had was Wright in a holding role, leaving Fleming as the only genuine midfielder.

Redshaw was having to go back to the halfway line nearly to get the ball, same with Amond.

it got better with Drummond on but then we were chasing the game and didn't get a break.

it has been mentioned on here many times about our poor midfield. but unfortunately Jim just doesn't see it.
sandgrown

Re: No Midfield - again !

Postby underbank » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Again, Jim left the midfield on the bench.
underbank

Postby George Dawes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:37 pm

For me our defence is the best we've had in the FL, and our center forwards, they have got to be the best bunch we've had,, but they are not getting the proper service from midfield.

Wholesale changes in midfield in the summer, that is where the problem is to free flowing football and creating goals.
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Someone please explain why every team we've played at The Globe has at least ONE runner in midfield who is prepared to run at our defence with the ball and put us under pressure. Compare that with our static midfield and the problem is all too clear to see in my opinion. We simply do not have a single runner in our shambolic excuse of a midfield. :evil:

Fleming persists in passing sideways or backwards and very rarely plays a penetrating forward pass. He for me is the main problem and the sooner he's out on his ear the bloody better for me.

Also can't for the life of me understand the manager taking off Mullers and putting Sampson on. It should have been either the totally ineffective Ellison (again) or Padraig.

Wouldn't surprise me if we beat the Shrews.... :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by Christies Child on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby black morse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 pm

sandgrown wrote:whats the point in having Redshaw, Mullin, Amond and Ellison on the field when there is no service to them; all we had was Wright in a holding role, leaving Fleming as the only genuine midfielder.

Redshaw was having to go back to the halfway line nearly to get the ball, same with Amond.

it got better with Drummond on but then we were chasing the game and didn't get a break.

it has been mentioned on here many times about our poor midfield. but unfortunately Jim just doesn't see it.

If Jim doesn't see the problem in midfield why was he trying to get an attacking midfielder on loan the other day?
black morse

Postby Now_Then » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm

A midfielder or two who can play the ball to feet or just in front of a team mate who is running would do as well as a couple of players who play on the wing who can run fast please! Everything at walking pace is getting boring now!
Now_Then

Postby underbank » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 am

Christies Child wrote:Fleming persists in passing sideways or backwards and very rarely plays a penetrating forward pass. He for me is the main problem and the sooner he's out on his ear the bloody better for me.

Yep, completely agree, time for him to move on. Yet, he's another player on Jim's "must play" list who always stays on the field however badly he's playing and who is always selected ahead of those who play better but who Jim leaves on the bench. People criticise other midfielders for not tackling enough, but yesterday, Flemmo tackled pointlessly with no idea of what he was going to achieve - ball just got kicked away to another Hartlepool player so a waste of effort. My preference would be Williams over Fleming as at least he's constantly looking around and aware and looking ahead, whereas Flemmo seems very vacant and doesn't really know what's happening around him. For me, the OWS match report says it all for yesterday's display "subs not used: Williams, Goodall, Kenyon" - three players who actually show some passion, desire and enthusiasm - for some reason, Jim clearly doesn't like those qualities!
underbank

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 am

I would like to see Williams in the team to play Shrewsbury.

They are a footballing team rather than a spoiling team so that should afford him some space.

I seem to remember that we signed Goodall on a 1 year contract with a condition that if he played a certain number of games he would automatically trigger another year's contract. Maybe Jim has formed an opinion that he doesn't want him for another year.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:53 am

Not had a decent midfield for years. Only Devitt is up to the job with possibly Drummond as cover. We are short of 2-3 quality midfielders to have a successful team. Away from home we paper over the cracks by defending in numbers and hitting on the break. At home we seem to get found out every time.

Leave the defence and strike force alone Jim, but please, please get a pacy winger and ball-winning box-to-box player in the summer. Otherwise it will be another long slog next season.
Wild Bill

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:53 am

Not had a decent midfield for years. Only Devitt is up to the job with possibly Drummond as cover. We are short of 2-3 quality midfielders to have a successful team. Away from home we paper over the cracks by defending in numbers and hitting on the break. At home we seem to get found out every time.

Leave the defence and strike force alone Jim, but please, please get a pacy winger and ball-winning box-to-box player in the summer. Otherwise it will be another long slog next season.
Wild Bill

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 pm

The midfield improved yesterday when we brought on Drummond, who must be knocking on for eighty. He played three wonderful FORWARD passes, which I applauded on my own. Then he played one poor ball and people round me acted like he was responsible for causing the end of the world. We desperately need a young player in the mold of Drummond.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby james456 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:21 pm

I agree, Drummond in his bright yellow boots yesterday came on and proved again that he is still our best midfielder. For me he needs to play every game for the rest of the season until we can address the midfield more permanently in the summer.
james456

Postby halfwayprawn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Stav
McGowan. Parrish. Hughes
Drummond. Wilson
Beeley Flemming. Ellison
Redshaw. Mullin

Sub's
Goalie Devitt Wright Sampson Williams Kenyon Amond
Last edited by halfwayprawn on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfwayprawn

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 pm

That's interesting halfwayprawn.....No Wilson ???
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby halfwayprawn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:28 pm

That's better John is McGowan fit because that would be my team,as beeley could play ahead of him.
halfwayprawn

Return to General Discussion