no Money to spend

no Money to spend

Postby glagys » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

just read this it looks like the credit crunch has hit us also ??

http://www.lep.co.uk/otherlocalsport/Sa ... 4838182.jp

so who's going and who's staying ???????????????
glagys

Re: no Money to spend

Postby parceldave » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:19 am

Is there no communication between Sammy and the board . Why wait until now to tell Sammy there is no money available for players, or on the other hand why waste your time eyeing players up if you know there isn´t any money available. :?: . And if he cant buy until he sells , do other clubs know who we have for sale :?: . Looks like we are going to have to plod along untill the end of the season. Catch 22, we need to score more goals to attract bigger crowds and we need bigger crowds to bring in the revenue to get that goal scorer. ;)
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:29 am

parceldave wrote:Is there no communication between Sammy and the board . Why wait until now to tell Sammy there is no money available for players, or on the other hand why waste your time eyeing players up if you know there isn´t any money available. :?: . And if he cant buy until he sells , do other clubs know who we have for sale :?: . Looks like we are going to have to plod along until the end of the season. Catch 22, we need to score more goals to attract bigger crowds and we need bigger crowds to bring in the revenue to get that goal scorer. ;)

you've hit the nail on the head there..

but id say it's kind of obvious there is a fair few players in the squad who just aint cut out for this level, who need to go to make room

Hunter
Curtis
Lloyd
McLachen maybe?
Last edited by George Dawes on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
George Dawes

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:31 am

Old news, why's it a surprise? It was said in the previous transfer window that we couldn't bring anyone in without shipping out first. What's changed?
Phoenix

Postby parceldave » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 am

Phoenix wrote:Old news, why's it a surprise? It was said in the previous transfer window that we couldn't bring anyone in without shipping out first. What's changed?

So who´s FOR SALE :?:

P.S . Mr Phoenix can you reccommend a decent camcorder for about £150 or so. Cheers
parceldave

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:55 am

I think the points deductions this season are actually hampering us now. We look pretty safe, and if we continue our recent form we should find ourselves in a comfortable mid-table position come the end of the season. In short, we are good enough how we are so I can't see the board opening the cheque book. I've never known the board to go on a spending spree, and believe us to quite prudent when it comes to splasing the cash.

We've got the nucleus of a decent team which with a few additions in certain areas and the second half of this season to gel together, could really hit the ground running next season (expensive option). But we'll wait until the end of the season let a few players contracts run down, and pick up a few freebies ourselves (cheap option).

A few members of our current squad might need to put in a few performances this season to warrant a new deal. Blinkhorn for example has his contract up for renewal at the end of this season. If we can pick up DC on a free (deal is also up at Carlisle at the end of this season) and break the bank to get Rene Howe, Blinks might struggle to get signed on. If he can get himself fit, on the pitch and banging them in for fun he'll not only be helping us out, but also himself by putting his name back on the radar and give Sammy a tough decision to make.
RedRedWine1

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Your quite right Red Red Wine...

If we were in a relegation battle or up there at the top challenging for play-offs there would be more pressure to clear out and re-invest the money into new players, but as it is the Board will see our position as safe and will be looking to next season's financing of transfers rather than wasteing time, effort and money now.

I just pray that we aren't counting our chickens too soon and see ourselves being pulled into the fight at the botton come April.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm

P.S . Mr Phoenix can you reccommend a decent camcorder for about £150 or so. Cheers

I use youtube mode on my pocket camera. SonyCentre at Cheshire Oaks had a good Sony CV camcorder for £145 less 10%, can't remember the model and I got dragged out of the shop before I could get my credit card out :lol:
Phoenix

Postby middletonshrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 pm

I think one of sammy's main problems will be the value of the players that he would want to move on. Looking at the previously mentioned names theyre not going to raise a kings ransome even if he does get some offers!
middletonshrimp

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:56 pm

As I said a while ago, I'm happy to see this squad complete this season and then look at who is released. Especially with the 'credit crunch' I think we may see some good deals as clubs work harder to balance the books, with a knock on that released players may not be asking huge sign on fees and will be settling for lower wages.

Does anyone know when Rene's contract is up? He may be released at the end of the season too? If we were able to pick up Danny & Rene on 'frees' that will be worth waiting for.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby parceldave » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Keith wrote:As I said a while ago, I'm happy to see this squad complete this season and then look at who is released. Especially with the 'credit crunch' I think we may see some good deals as clubs work harder to balance the books, with a knock on that released players may not be asking huge sign on fees and will be settling for lower wages.

Does anyone know when Rene's contract is up? He may be released at the end of the season too? If we were able to pick up Danny & Rene on 'frees' that will be worth waiting for.

Im sorry to say but i dont think D.C will solve the problem that we need to score more goals . Since he has been here there have been lots of chances when one on one with goalie and he hasn´t put them away . We need someone who when gets the chance its a goal , i.e Barry Hayles at C.P. ;)
parceldave

Postby parceldave » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Phoenix wrote:P.S . Mr Phoenix can you reccommend a decent camcorder for about £150 or so. Cheers

I use youtube mode on my pocket camera. SonyCentre at Cheshire Oaks had a good Sony CV camcorder for £145 less 10%, can't remember the model and I got dragged out of the shop before I could get my credit card out :lol:

Well if game is off on Saturday i will go there on way back from airport aswell as Ikea. Please Let it Thaw , Let it Thaw , Letit Thaw, :lol:
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:20 pm

It's always been the case that Sammy had to move players on before he could bring others in. Nothing has changed there.

However what has changed is that like all well run companies, the club operates on a budget and that budget with the unforeseen increases due to the economic climate has probably been hit 'big time' along with other companies.

Fuel costs alone are affecting coach and players travel to give just one example.

It's therefore not suprising that the Board have had to confirm again that the club needs to get rid of some players before it can bring in alternatives.

I'd rather have a club conduct itself in this manner than spend monies that it just doesn't have.

Far better from my perspective to look towards the summer close season and invest then.

Sammy will be frustrated no doubt but I'm sure he realises that the clubs survival is paramount.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby middletonshrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

I know it's a bit off the subject of strikers but I think Michael Carr needs to be given a better chance than the odd last 10 minutes ( i realise he's been injured). I really rated him when he got a couple of games pre-season. He was strong, quick and talented and created a few chances for the front men, so maybe we should be having a better look at a few of our own before we bring any more loan players in.
middletonshrimp

Postby shrimper » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Also - as you said previously as well, Keith, it may be that the board is wary of making any big signings now (and they may also want to see those who we need to 'trim' get new clubs) because any new income from the ground move might put us in a completely different ballpark.

They may want to see how much new cash they may have to invest (and how quickly it arrives) before bringing people in on, say, two year contracts.

When we know how the early parts of the ground move (sale of Christie Park etc) impact on our finances it will give us a better idea of what type of players we can afford to go looking for.

In any case, however the future may be looking I think for this season we are still bound by our salary cap that will have been fixed at the start of the season.

We may still be in roughly the same position next season or we may be a bit better off. But it may be (and I'm only guessing) that they'll not want to make too many big contract commitments until we know more accurately about our budgets for next season and beyond.

And, as RedRedWine says, we're not 'too' badly off at the moment so no big need for short-term fixes.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby sgt major » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 pm

shrimper wrote:Also - as you said previously as well, Keith, it may be that the board is wary of making any big signings now (and they may also want to see those who we need to 'trim' get new clubs) because any new income from the ground move might put us in a completely different ballpark.

They may want to see how much new cash they may have to invest (and how quickly it arrives) before bringing people in on, say, two year contracts.

When we know how the early parts of the ground move (sale of Christie Park etc) impact on our finances it will give us a better idea of what type of players we can afford to go looking for.

In any case, however the future may be looking I think for this season we are still bound by our salary cap that will have been fixed at the start of the season.

We may still be in roughly the same position next season or we may be a bit better off. But it may be (and I'm only guessing) that they'll not want to make too many big contract commitments until we know more accurately about our budgets for next season and beyond.

And, as RedRedWine says, we're not 'too' badly off at the moment so no big need for short-term fixes.

Maybe, just maybe we should start looking from within at some of the young prospects coming up from the academy, reserves etc.

As many people keep going on about this credit crunch it would be more prudent to blood some of the lads, give them a try. Some of the teams we have played this season have had younger lads in the side - might be a bit radical but you never know!!!
sgt major

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:57 pm

sgt major wrote:
shrimper wrote:Also - as you said previously as well, Keith, it may be that the board is wary of making any big signings now (and they may also want to see those who we need to 'trim' get new clubs) because any new income from the ground move might put us in a completely different ballpark.

Maybe, just maybe we should start looking from within at some of the young prospects coming up from the academy, reserves etc.

As many people keep going on about this credit crunch it would be more prudent to blood some of the lads, give them a try. Some of the teams we have played this season have had younger lads in the side - might be a bit radical but you never know!!!

Good shout.....BUT....if only!

From what I've seen of the new 'young guns' throwing them into the cauldron that is the football league would be like throwing Christians to the lions.

They just aren't physically up to it..yet!

It also got to be said that since the departure of Jim Harvey that our youth development policy now faces increased competition from bigger and more prestigious named clubs.

In addition, our lowly league position would suggest that we need experience.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 pm

this also gives us chance to look at fringe players aswell like. O' Carrol McCann Carr Parrish Twiss Wainwright, and Howard the forgotten man at left back, last i heard he was due back for start of new year
George Dawes

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm not entirely happy about giving the young 'uns a run out or trying the fringe players. We aren't safe, there's a long way to go and we don't have a big enough points difference between us & the drop to play around.
Phoenix

Postby mr dog » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm

why not give taylor a chance in the league! hes had a chance for the first team and hes impressed. i dont see what sammy has to loose if he gives him a chance?
mr dog

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:30 pm

mr dog wrote:i dont see what sammy has to loose

Maybe a screw?

Howe and Carlton have had around 10 games together, obviously it's going to take time for a partnership to form as neither have previously played alongside each other. But for me, the signs in recent games have been encouraging. Given the chance of another 10 games I think they could be a thorn in the side of any defence at this level.

Taylor's time will come, Sammy is doing the right thing by easing him in slowly as he is still quite raw with a lot to learn.
RedRedWine1

Postby Castaway » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Hunter
Curtis
Lloyd
McLachen maybe?

I'd like to see Lloyd be given a run of ten games on the left. Atleast he would offer some pace which we are badly lacking in midfield at the moment. He's also young and I would presume wouldn't command wages as high as some of the older lads.
Castaway

Postby Frobi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 pm

I think this link makes it more clearer as to why we can't bring any more players in at the moment

http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/ ... 82,00.html

Looks like that unless we sell on some players we can't bring anone else is as we've gone over our wage cap for the season. Unless a magic fairy comes along, waves her magic wand and gives us instant cash!
Frobi

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Frobi wrote:I think this link makes it more clearer as to why we can't bring any more players in at the moment

http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/ ... 82,00.html

Looks like that unless we sell on some players we can't bring anone else is as we've gone over our wage cap for the season. Unless a magic fairy comes along, waves her magic wand and gives us instant cash!

The price of trying to bring us all some success?

It's easy to look back with hindsight, but some of the contracts given to players since we got into the league and who are now 'fringe' players are contributors to this current dilema.
Christies Child

Postby Number 1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:05 pm

I hope there's no points penalty because of this...
Number 1

Next

Return to General Discussion