Scotty Davies

Scotty Davies

Postby Kendalshrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:39 pm

We need to do everything we can to sign him in the summer. If I was jim id be trying right now to get it sorted. After the performance of stav on Saturday that's just not good enough at this level an at Barry's age when he returns he's not guna be around a lot longer with an injury that bad id put him as 2nd choice if we signed scotty all day. Hope to see him back in a morecambe shirt next season !
Kendalshrimp

Re: Scotty Davies

Postby Christies Child » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Assuming that Jimbo agrees with your thoughts, we'll be in a que with Accy probably at the head of it as they may have already negotiated 'first refusal' with Fleetwood seeing as Accy will be needing a new keeper for next season.

I'd like to think that his respect for our club and Jimbo in particular would put us in with at least a shout for him, but events may have already passed us by.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Shrimpy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:28 pm

It's a complete not starter whilst Barry is still under contract.
Shrimpy

Postby Super Shrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Essentially, I very much doubt we are ever going to sign Scott Davies, although I don't see it as a negative particularly.

Andreas Arestidou is all but gone as far as I'm concerened in terms of next season, and realistically, even if Arestidou gets injured now, Tom Stewart won't get a look in I wouldn't have thought. I imagine we would get someone in on an emergency loan, no doubt from Blackburn Rovers or somewhere like that.

Whilst Scott Davies is a fantastic goalkeeper, and I happily see him play in goal for us in League 2 next season, my number 1 would remain Barry Roche. Roche is under contract with us next season and owing to his wages, I don't think it would be financially viable for us to have both of them on the books, especially considering the apparent need for a bit of a re-jig in midfield. Any wage budget we do have come the end of the season will no doubt be looking to strengthen the midfield as the primary target.

Ultimately, what we mustn't forget is that Barry Roche is still, at least in my eyes, one of the very best goalkeepers in League 2, and this has only been proven further by recent gripes about Arestidou (mainly his lack of shouting). "You don't know what you've got until it has gone" springs to mind. Davies and Roche have very little between them in terms of ability, but I think the right thing to do in terms of respect towards Roche coming back from injury, and in terms of our financial situation, is to look no further than the FANTASTIC goalkeeper that we ALREADY have on our books for next season.
Super Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Barry number 1 next season for me with young Tom as a young apprentice learning his skills from Barry and Lee Jones.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Hope Andreas is not reading these messages ....Won't be filling him with much confidence ahead of rest of season
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Hope Andreas is not reading these messages ....Won't be filling him with much confidence ahead of rest of season

True but that's life in pro football. Look at all the stick Hughes has taken in the last week or two.

Fans express their opinions on forums.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Hope Andreas is not reading these messages ....Won't be filling him with much confidence ahead of rest of season

True but that's life in pro football. Look at all the stick Hughes has taken in the last week or two.

Fans express their opinions on forums.

....and are often misunderstood.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

:o
Christies Child

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Would love it if we signed him but is a top L2 goalie really worth the wages of probably two decent outfield players? As said, if Barry is still under contract lets see how his recovery goes first. At his best he is almost as good as Scott. Stav doesn't deserve the stick he is getting either. He's not Scott Davis but should be given the rest of the season to show what he can do.
Wild Bill

Postby Kendalshrimp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 pm

The difference in our counter attacks when Scott was in was massive, Beeley an Wilson would be off an into the other teams half with in seconds of Scotty catching the ball. With Andreas it's not just the bad decision making on crosses he's about 5 seconds behind the whole game in terms of stuff like that. Wish the lad well but we need a better back up keeper than him next season an if it is between us an accy who get Scotty, I'm sure we could match them for his wages !
Kendalshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 pm

For what it's worth Andreas has my 100% backing......it's a massive step up from virtually no football for nearly 2 seasons to being thrown into a team with the lack of consistency such as ours.

He's had to follow in the footsteps of Scotty and live in the shadows of Baz which can't be easy.

Rather than give him unfounded hassle he needs our support and backing.
Christies Child

Postby Now_Then » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Why don't we follow Accringtons model and not employ a full time first choice keeper? Roche is meant to be one of our higher earners and his wages could be spent elsewhere if we were to bring in Prem/Championship teams young keepers on loan. How many have Accrington brought in over the last few seasons?
Now_Then

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 am

I think people are being too hard on Stav. His distribution is generally better than Baz's - at least he looks to throw to feet rather than just boot it and hope. It's just that some teams are quicker on the uptake to that and mark our wing backs better. I also think several of the goals he's conceded have been as much, if not more, down to decision making by defenders raather than his fault. He's a good keeper, he just has big shoes to fill.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 am

Now_Then wrote:Why don't we follow Accringtons model and not employ a full time first choice keeper? Roche is meant to be one of our higher earners and his wages could be spent elsewhere if we were to bring in Prem/Championship teams young keepers on loan. How many have Accrington brought in over the last few seasons?

Because most of Accrington's keepers this season have been rubbish !

Look at their goals conceded column.
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 am

And they've used (how many is it?) 8 or 9 'keepers this season alone ?

Have we got that many spare 'keepers shirts to print up with names ?

Can we afford that many new shirts potentially ??!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Can we afford that many new shirts potentially ??!!

A Davies shirt was ok, but printing an Arestidoudledo 8 times might send us over the brink
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby stoyles » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 pm

The only thing stav has done wrong so far is not being scott. I wish one of the statto's on here wosuld post a comparison of goals conceded and results over both keepers stints and I think you will find there's not much difference.
stoyles

Return to General Discussion