Pitch for Lincoln game

Pitch for Lincoln game

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:55 am

With the weather likely to hover around the freezing mark for the next few days, how optomistic are we that the game will go ahead?

Despite the best efforts of all the groundstaff, I suspect that it's touch and go.

Just hope we don't have a repeat of last season when we had the blowers on but the area just behind the goal line was deemed to be dangerous.

I'd rather have the game off than play in conditions that make the game a lottery.

No doubt an early pitch inspection will be the order of the day.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Pitch for Lincoln game

Postby middletonshrimp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 pm

It's got to be doubtful when you look at the prolonged period of frost we've been having. I hope the ground staff can work some miracles as it would be great to get in the North Stand and blow a few New Year cobwebs off the throat! It would be also be good to keep the run of decent performances going.
middletonshrimp

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Just accept it, and live with it. The match will not go ahead this Saturday. :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby thegentlegiant » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:54 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Just accept it, and live with it. The match will not go ahead this Saturday. :(

i agree the weather is going to colder as we get nearer,
thegentlegiant

Postby campdave » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Just got back from a few days away and found my water butt is frozen on the top three inches. I'm only five mins walk from CP, and with the weather forecast to barely rise above freezing the next few days, I can't see the match going ahead. Covers would be useless against this hard frost
campdave

Postby Number 1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:52 pm

It'd be nice to have it postponed by Friday evening so that people can plan accordingly if there's going to be no chance.
Number 1

Postby Bolio » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm

At Bradford I noticed big pitch covers rolled up behind and to the sde of the goal, do we not have and such method in order to beat the freeze?

and if not let's get it called off sooner rather than later.
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby campdave » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:13 pm

Bolio wrote:At Bradford I noticed big pitch covers rolled up behind and to the sde of the goal, do we not have and such method in order to beat the freeze?

and if not let's get it called off sooner rather than later.

We do have covers, which can help avoid a mild freeze, but in conditions like it is at the moment, without undersoil heating, there is little they will do.
campdave

Postby mfcbro » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Inspection at 1600 tomorrow to see if the game can go ahead.
mfcbro

Postby Bolio » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:51 pm

well let's hope if the pitch is not fit at 1600 tommorow then they call it off there and then so people can make different plans.

Fingers crossed it is on !
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:28 am

forecast this morning shows -3 overnight tonight with a high of only 1 degree tomorrow so I can't see it being on. :(
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:44 am

Weird weather in Morecambe, I wouldn't like to predict one way or the other (and I'm in the sponsors lounge so plenty of reason to say everything will be fine!). It's not as cold as the forecasters said it would be but cold enough to leave ice on my windscreen last night (christie avenue, 100yds from the away end). Everywhere looks wet but there's ice under the damp on the side roads. The covers have been on the usual part of the pitch for a few days at least.

The 4pm pitch inspection is a good idea, it's very likely the pitch will be in the same state today at that time as it will be tomorrow. If it's fit today, good chance it'll be game on.
Phoenix

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:58 am

Phoenix wrote:Weird weather in Morecambe, I wouldn't like to predict one way or the other (and I'm in the sponsors lounge so plenty of reason to say everything will be fine!). It's not as cold as the forecasters said it would be but cold enough to leave ice on my windscreen last night (christie avenue, 100yds from the away end). Everywhere looks wet but there's ice under the damp on the side roads. The covers have been on the usual part of the pitch for a few days at least.

The 4pm pitch inspection is a good idea, it's very likely the pitch will be in the same state today at that time as it will be tomorrow. If it's fit today, good chance it'll be game on.

very odd logic used there Brian!

If it's colder tonight than last night (as forecast) and the temp dosen't get as high tomorrow as today (as forecast) and if the laws of physics are correct (that the longer something is subjected to the cold the more frozen it will get) I struggle to see how the conditions will be the same?

it's going to be frozen solid tomorrow!

if it's not called off, I'll ............ run a marathon! ;) :roll: :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 am

very odd logic used there Brian!

Not really. The forecasters haven't got it right for Christie Avenue once this week and it's been just about the same overnight for the last 3 nights.

If it's colder tonight than last night (as forecast) and the temp dosen't get as high tomorrow as today (as forecast) and if the laws of physics are correct (that the longer something is subjected to the cold the more frozen it will get) I struggle to see how the conditions will be the same?
It's going to be frozen solid tomorrow!

Nowt wrong with the laws of physics but they only obey the here and now, not the future. IF the weather behaves as forecast then the game is likely to be off. However, having spent the week down Christie Avenue I can honestly tell you the forecasts have been wrong (for Christie Avenue) all week.

I haven't noticed the heaters being used yet, we can normally hear them.
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am

Did't quite hit the delete button in time there NSS. Who says I'm right? I'm just telling you I've seen the weather forecasts for this week and they've been wrong as far as my girlfriend's house on Christie is concerned. Sorry if the facts don't agree with your laws of physics ;)
Phoenix

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am

I suppose Morecambe is like the twilight zone with the weather.

If the tides in, the skys red this evening and the moon doesn't have a ring around it tonight then the game might be on. :roll:

However, I'm guessing the forecast will be taken into consideration and if it's borderline today It would take a brave man to ignore it and go with his gut instinct on how the Morecambe weather can be 'weird'
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:35 am

Agreed, I doubt any official would accept Morecambe's weird weather explanation but it doesn't mean we don't get very localised weather.

It also depends which forecast you believe, at the moment the BBC shows tomorrow as +4 daytime and +4 overnight so, if it's on, it's not going to freeze towards the end of the match. However Weather.com has it as day/night +1/-1, MSN 0/-2, Google +2/0 and Weatherbug +2/-2. I wonder which one the official will read and does Mr Physics de Law read the BBC?
Phoenix

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 am

Phoenix wrote:Agreed, I doubt any official would accept Morecambe's weird weather explanation but it doesn't mean we don't get very localised weather.

It also depends which forecast you believe, at the moment the BBC shows tomorrow as +4 daytime and +4 overnight so, if it's on, it's not going to freeze towards the end of the match. However Weather.com has it as day/night +1/-1, MSN 0/-2, Google +2/0 and Weatherbug +2/-2. I wonder which one the official will read and does Mr Physics de Law read the BBC?

WUM :roll: :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Return to General Discussion