Surreal Moment of Christmas

Surreal Moment of Christmas

Postby World Cup Willie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:22 pm

Decided to go skiing in Bulgaria for Christmas. So there I am learning to Snowboard, sat on my backside halfway down a slope, with my MFC woolly hat on, when up comes this guy and says " Is that a Morecambe hat?" Yes, I replied, " Oh right just checking, 'cos I'm from Torrisholme". It really is a small World.
World Cup Willie

Re: Surreal Moment of Christmas

Postby Brian C » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Got to admit this has happened to me several times now when abroad.

The main one I remember is laying on a private beach in San Remo, Italy. I was out there for the Euro Championships in 1980, when this bloke laying on the towel next to me starts talking about the Bath Hotel in Morecambe!!

Can't remember his surname now, but it was Mick something? short blond hair and was a regular in the Bath Hotel in the late 70's/early 80's.
Brian C

Postby Christies Child » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Brian C wrote:Got to admit this has happened to me several times now when abroad.

The main one I remember is laying on a private beach in San Remo, Italy. I was out there for the Euro Championships in 1980, when this bloke laying on the towel next to me starts talking about the Bath Hotel in Morecambe!!

Can't remember his surname now, but it was Mick something? short blond hair and was a regular in the Bath Hotel in the late 70's/early 80's.

Mmmmm....nice!

;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:42 pm

:lol: :lol:

Thats how I read it too!!! Two blokes, one towel :lol:
Mark S

Postby Brian C » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 pm

OK, OK!

... a bloke laying on a different towel a bit further down on the beach ...
Brian C

Postby Frobi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:49 pm

I went to London for the weekend about 8 years ago, and as and the rents were walking over tower bridge I said to them, "I wonder what the chances of seeing someone from Morecambe in London today are?" to which my dad replied "probably 6 million to 1". About half an hour later we had gone into a nearby pub for lunch when I walked my sister's friend from yes you've guessed it Morecambe!

Also when I went on Holiday to Greece back in 2006 with some mates from uni, we were going on a boat trip, when as we were getting onto the boat we bumped into a guy and his girlfriend from our same university getting onto the same boat.
Frobi

Postby Richard Head » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:03 pm

We were watching the sunset at Key West a few years ago when the woman next to me said to her husband 'Its pretty good but not as good as a Morecambe Bay sunset'. Turned out she lived in Slyne
Richard Head

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:12 pm

was in the Dominican Republic, staying in a hotel. Went to the bar and over-heard the guy next to me, saying to the bloke on his other side that he was from Heysham "a little port in the north-west". The other guy hadn't heard of it but the look on the first guys face when I said "it'll really take off if they ever build that bye-pass". We got chatting and it turned out his wife was a nurse at Lancaster Moor Hospital. I went over and we had a natter, we'd never met each other but we mutually knew so many people. Strange, travelling 3,000 miles to meet someone from the same hospital that I trained in!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:37 pm

Too many for me to remember them all but...

Went to stay with my cousins (who have never lived in England, their mum and dad were from Liverpool, second cousins of my dad) in Ottawa, Canada in 1980.
A few weeks before I arrived they'd had a knock on the door from a bloke who was starting a 'soccer' team for local kids. My aunt said she didn't have any kids the right age but that I would be coming over in a few weeks and might like to go to one of their training sessions to help out (I was helping with Nomads Under 12s at the time).

Cut a long story short the bloke came back one night to see if I wanted to go. When I told him where I was from he asked if I knew Hest Bank - his dad lived next door to the only mate I had in Hest Bank at the time.

Have also met a lad from my year at Mcbe High in the reptile house when we went to London Zoo; a girl from the same school in Crete; John Goodwin (Christie regular) was going back out on the ferry we'd just got off in Thassos, Greece, in 2001; met Mark Blenkinship (another regular) coming home from Malaga (I think); when I came back from Hong Kong the air stewardess was a girl who had done the scoring for my cricket team when she was studying at L&M College; looked at a bloke on the sunlounger at our hotel first day in Tenerife in 2002 and thought I recognised him (difficult cos he had a tan and my eyes were squinting in the sun). Hung my MFC shirt over the back of my lounger when I saw him looking over but he didn't say anything. Anyway finally went over and said: "Is that you, Fozzy?" - had a few beers and a chat about the Shrimps on a few occasions that holiday.

It's unusual now if I DON'T see someone I know!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Phoenix » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:44 pm

Amsterdam this summer, went down for my birthday breakfast and the girls were saying hello to some 6th formers from MHS. Later that day my son met his classmates from Kendal College.

Some Brummy stewardess friends of mine were dining out in a swanky New York hotel and telling a pilot all about themselves. After telling this guy all about their friends in Morecambe, the pilot asked how Brian was these days :lol: (Andrew Jeremy, a BA pilot)

Sat in a hotel reception in the Dominican, a voice from behind me asks if I've come to fix their computer as well - someone that used to work for Edmondsons.
Phoenix

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Stood on (Perth W.A youth hostel) the balcony of the managers apartment, downing a beer, as the best friend of an ex walked out of the hostel below. She nearly got showered in VB :lol:

Everytime we go on holiday I bump into someone I know, and that also goes back to when I was 16!
Girlfriend at the time was sick of me bumping into people I knew when out in Lancaster shopping, she suggested going to Preston (where?) bumped into my cousin in Boots. You should have seen her face :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bumped into same cousin on south coast whilst on holiday 10 years ago.
morecambe mick

Postby halfwayliner » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Still remember the boots :lol:
halfwayliner

Return to General Discussion