O/T Morecambe Council

O/T Morecambe Council

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Can't think of a more appropriate start date :lol: :lol:

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-n ... 4828464.jp
Phoenix

Re: O/T Morecambe Council

Postby Christies Child » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Does this mean that they will have total control and final say over all planning issues within the defined area?

And, more crucially will it have powers to review planning rulings already given, approved or otherwise?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:30 pm

From my understnading the new council will have little actual control over anything.....which I think Brian is highlighting in his April fools reference. It really is a waste of time, and more importantly money. The only purpose it serves is to give some blancmanges some limelight.
RedRedWine1

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:34 pm

RedRedWine wrote:From my understnading the new council will have little actual control over anything.....which I think Brian is highlighting in his April fools reference. It really is a waste of time, and more importantly money. The only purpose it serves is to give some blancmanges some limelight.

Blancmange... ages since I've had that.

With lime?............. now, that certainly does add a twist.
morecambe mick

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:38 pm

From my understnading the new council will have little actual control over anything.....which I think Brian is highlighting in his April fools reference. It really is a waste of time, and more importantly money. The only purpose it serves is to give some blancmanges some limelight.

Precisely, a waste of time and money. I thought we were told it wouldn't cost us any extra. If that claim has been made and it does cost money, perhaps they should just bill the councillors.
Phoenix

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 pm

If its right and every household in Morecambe is paying £15.00 per year to the rural parishes why should Morecambe not have its own parish council and the money be sent in Morecambe
Frank

Postby Phoenix » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:12 am

It's all this crap about it not costing any more. Of course it will, Dame Archer will want a mayoral chain, car & chauffeur plus we'll be paying additonal expenses for their meetings as well as the additional costs of the staff that have to attend the meetings in order for them to go ahead, such as caretaker to open the building, etc.

Given the proposed numbers of councillors, we're talking a hell of a lot more than a parish. How about, say, having to pay an extra £30 to cover the cost of the Morecambe council? Still happy with that?
Phoenix

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:53 pm

and I bet they still don't sort out the bin collections :evil:

What does it take to get your green wheelie bin and reycling boxes empted in this town.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby bigreddog » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 pm

I know this might be a bit stuck record but it's worth saying again: Morecambe Town/Parish council will be as well as, not instead of Lancaster City Council. Those who got the petition together to push for this new tier of local government say that they made that clear to the people who signed it. The subsidy or "special expenses" that some people keep making reference to is a means by which the whole district subsidises the parish areas. these special expenses were voted to be abolished at the same council meeting that set up the town council (though they will be reviewed later). So the up shot of all of this is that there will be an interim group set up from April 1st and then elections on 4th June (same day as county and european elections). the body will cost every household extra tax - even though some have suggested it wouldn't cost a penny ( a suggestion made in good faith I think, they just didn't understand local government funding). They will have to fund their admin costs, rental of rooms, elections and whatever services they want to provide. so not free by any stretch of the imagination.

the text book things that a parish council will do is below for the anoraks. but P/T it wont be anything to do with emptying your bins mate.

What is a Parish or Town Council?
A Parish or Town Council is elected by the public to represent a town or parish area. It consists of at least five Councillors (number set by the district council) elected once every four years. It is a local authority in its own right but has far less powers and responsibilities than principal authorities such as Lancaster City Council and Lancashire County Council.
A Parish or Town Council has the ability to obtain its income by precepting (adding a levy) to the Council Tax that is collected from residential properties in its area. They can also apply for grants, let property and make investments and fundraise. A Parish or Town Council normally employs at least one officer known as a Parish or Town Clerk to carry out its business.
The powers of a Parish or Town Council are set out clearly in law. The following list gives an indication of the type of things they can do:
* Maintain cemeteries and parks
* Provide bus shelters, car and bike parking, seats, litter bins, clocks, cctv, public toilets, public lighting and footway lighting.
* Make byelaws e.g. public open spaces and control of dogs
* Make grants to voluntary organisations,bus services and the Police
* Establish Neighbourhood Watch Schemes and car sharing schemes
* Run a lottery
* Contribute to traffic calming measures
* Plant trees, shrubs etc and lay out grass verges.
* Establish, operate and provide parks, recreation grounds, theatres, community centres etc
* Put on entertainment and events to further arts and crafts.
* Encourage people to visit an area
* Incur expenditure e.g. wreaths on Armistice Day or employing a village sweeper etc.
Town and Parish Councils are also consulted on many issues affecting their area e.g. planning applications, diverting or 'stopping up unclassified roads, footpaths or bridleways.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:57 pm

the text book things that a parish council will do is below for the anoraks. but P/T it wont be anything to do with emptying your bins mate.

What is a Parish or Town Council?
The powers of a Parish or Town Council are set out clearly in law. The following list gives an indication of the type of things they can do:

* Plant trees, shrubs etc and lay out grass verges.

Oh and don't get me started on overgrown shrubs which they neglect that's a whole different rant for another time.

I mean how can the bin men forget to collect boxes on the whole housing estate and then don't bother coming back to do them for another 2 weeks meaning that's 4 weeks rubbish the whole estate is left with.

P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:09 pm

the best thing to do, is all the rubbish they wont take just put it in bags then drive down to the council depot on white lund road when it's shut, and just throw it over there fence!..
George Dawes

Postby Phoenix » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:49 am

the body will cost every household extra tax - even though some have suggested it wouldn't cost a penny ( a suggestion made in good faith I think, they just didn't understand local government funding).

Perhaps they should have found out the facts before standing on their soap boxes. Anyone who said it would not cost any more should be held directly accountable and pay the extra taxes out of their own pockets. Sold a town council on a pack of lies, it's a disgrace but no more than I have come to expect from some over-inflated egos.
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:11 am

Lifted from the Visitor:

After all, when the Morecambe Town Council is formed, it will be taxing the residents of Morecambe an amount in addition to the council tax paid by the taxpayers of Lancaster. Perhaps not everyone is aware of this.
Coun Susie Charles, Ellel ward
Coun Susan Bray, Bare ward

I can't remember being told it would cost extra. Might be worth a formal complaint to the council, I can't see how it has been a fair democratic process or that signatures were gathered knowing the correct facts. Add in the current financial climate and I am fairly certain the result of a local vote whether to have a local council would not be the same.
Phoenix

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:57 am

Phoenix wrote:Lifted from the Visitor:

After all, when the Morecambe Town Council is formed, it will be taxing the residents of Morecambe an amount in addition to the council tax paid by the taxpayers of Lancaster. Perhaps not everyone is aware of this.
Coun Susie Charles, Ellel ward
Coun Susan Bray, Bare ward

I can't remember being told it would cost extra. Might be worth a formal complaint to the council, I can't see how it has been a fair democratic process or that signatures were gathered knowing the correct facts. Add in the current financial climate and I am fairly certain the result of a local vote whether to have a local council would not be the same.

Dam we missed the chance there for another vote Bez for Bare campaign :lol:

He wouldn't have stood for any of this nonsense and would have put Archer in her place :evil: as well as sorting my bins and hedge out :lol:

P/T Indie

Postby Phoenix » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Bez for Bare should have been elected. Still remember meeting someone in the street handing out BfB flyers, "I didn't know he was standing in the election" - "Neither does he" :lol: :lol:
Phoenix

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

and I think he was just about the only Labour candidate to increase his share of the vote in the last election :o

and for a labour candidate to do that in Bare is quite impresive.

P/T Indie

Return to General Discussion