The worst matches The best matches

The worst matches The best matches

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello there
Lawrence Bland has an idea not only to feature some remarkable matches over the years but also some of the worst you might have witnessed over the years
in recent memory i can think of an awful home performance january 2000 whern Hayes stuffed us 4 1 and we were absolute garbage that day
Obviously Wembley is the ultimate highpoint and the playoffs but im looking for fans to get in touch or post on here some of the best and the worst matches youve seen Morecambe play in and we can look to feature them in the match programme and get some stuff on the web site in the history pages too
If anyone would like to start the ball rolling we can get out those match reports from years gone by some photography and quotes and maybe get the chance to hunt down a player or two to go back and trace those matches with them
feel free of cours eto post here but if anyone would like to write an article about th ebest and worst theyve seen then either pm me or email me at seanoconnor@morecambefc.com and myself and Lawrence can get to work and maybe get the programme covers from those matches too
cheers sean
Programme editor
Shrimpsscene

Re: The worst matches The best matches

Postby Hodgie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Morecambe 7 Emily 3

don't know what year but a cracking game
Hodgie

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Crawley Town 4-0 Morecambe (?)

Oh God we were so bad that day, I can't even remember the scoreline and I was driving!!

Shit game even Hodgy and MTID walked early, but the banter on the way back has to have been some of the funniest/best ever.

One handed legend :o

A question to a certain member sat in their "beer garden"
"So how much was that blonde" :o :o
:lol: :lol:

Actually some of the best trips have been when we have lost :? :?
morecambe mick

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:58 pm

i know what you mean mick
seen too many defeats away from home but plenty of laughs though
will get ;awrence digging those out especialy th eemley scoreline
th ecrawley one i was covering for derek that was a bady day at the office
that was th eScott Rendell mystery...he got a hat trick

we want worst and best home and away

keep them coming

cheers sean

and which morecambe player has scored the most boxing day goals hodgie??
Shrimpsscene

Postby Howe Magic » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 pm

the worst matches for me must be the maine road game away in the fa cup and also the blakenhall game away in the fa trophy.... some of the best matches i have witnessed have to be woking away 0-0 at half time we went onto win the game 6-0,also chesterfield away in fa cup with tommos winning goal in last minute and also beating bradford at home last year but with 30 years of watching the shrimps behind me to many games to mention
Howe Magic

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:10 pm

Recent ones only for me Sean !!
Wembley obviously best
Gillingham worst !
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Andy wrote:Recent ones only for me Sean !!
Wembley obviously best
Gillingham worst !

aye i know wembley cant be beaten but i think we will need to stick to league and the cups
gillingham was bad though Andy
yesterday was great though!!!!

will pass on all thesuggestions to lawrence amnd will make a note of who made the suggestions too

again if anyone wants to write a piece on the games as to the reasons why then please get in touch im sure they would make great reading for everyone

keep them coiming
Shrimpsscene

Postby Bolio » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:20 pm

I will go for some recent one's...

Best - York play off semi second leg. Grown men crying made the atmosphere the best i have experienced without noise at the end.

Worst - Gillingham, and Altrincham at home a few years back, night game 0-0 i think it was, i was bored stiff. we had about one shot in 90mins.
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Ok Sean
My next best would be from a few years back I made the pilgrimage home from East Kent and watch us scrape a 3-3 draw against Margate also the cup match at Hartsdown I was in the Margate end and we scored !! well naturally I cheered lol
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Shrimpsscene » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:28 pm

Andy wrote:Ok Sean
My next best would be from a few years back I made the pilgrimage home from East Kent and watch us scrape a 3-3 draw against Margate also the cup match at Hartsdown I was in the Margate end and we scored !! well naturally I cheered lol

yes reember those Andy!!!
wasnt it the dog and duck we were inside
fa trophy quarter final john normans two goals i have a cracking pic of shrimper and one of rod taylor at that match getting very excited!!!
2001/2002 season that was mate!!
i think the 3 3 game nick rogan scored a peach of a goal
Shrimpsscene

Postby Phoenix » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:57 pm

i think we will need to stick to league and the cups

We won a cup both times at wembley ;)
Phoenix

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm

wasnt it the dog and duck we were inside

Dog and Duck now shut same can almost be said of Margate FC :x :x
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby chipbuns » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Northwich at home in the FA cup a few seasons ago sticks in the mind. They hammered us that day with Paul Brayson and Carlos Roca ripping us apart, i was even applauding them! :o

Probably best one was Dagenham in the league before we got them in the playoffs, (can't remember if it was the same season). Chris Lane scored a volley in the last minute to give us a 3-2 win.
chipbuns

Postby al1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:57 pm

bangor city at home 1970s lost 9-0,nightmare :!:
al1

Postby parkyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:28 pm

Losing 7 nil at Leek in the conference and about 40/50 yrs ago in lancs combination losing 7 nil at Horwich RMI on New Years Day
parkyboy

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Tamworth at home on a tueday night score was 0-0 boring game
heysham_mfc

Postby ezz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Best game in the League by far= Morecambe 3-2 Peterborough when they went 2-0 up. We got one back followed by Artell being sent off. Ended up winning 3-2 singing "2-0 and you f*cked it up" to the posh fans.

Worst game= Morecambe 0-3 Stevange. They scored 3 in the first half and was the mopst depressing half of football of my life. Defense was a shambles and we wernt used to seeing us lose that much at home!

Ruling out the league and cup matches

Best= Wembley of course, sat in a perfect line between the top corner and the ball as carlton hit it
Worst= FA cup defeat to Northqich, worst game of football i've seen morecambe play and Jim Harvey went to hospital after his heart attack.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Worst, seen a lot but probably losing away at Maine Road. They really were a pub team playing on not much more than a park pitch and that day we were an embarrassment.

Best games were the two Wembley games and the games at Christie which led to them. 1-0 v South Shields in the semi with a Jimmy Sutton screamer. I was 15 and going to Wembley for the first time. I still think the win against Dartford in the final was the best ever. We were big underdogs and played them off the pitch, pure magic for a young lad.

The play off semi against York was also great. After the dissapointment against Daggers a couple of years earlier it was great to make the final and then beat Exeter at the new Wembley!
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Richard Head » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 am

The two Wembley wins are too obvious so i will go for two matches from the 60's as my
favourites. The Lancashire Senior Cup Final win at Christie Park against a strong Burnley side
and the 0-0 draw away at York in the FA Cup. I think the replay was 1-1 at home then we
lost the second replay 2-0 at Maine Road
Richard Head

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:02 pm

"Morecambe's Derby Crown" around '73 or '74, a 2-0 win over City and Tony Webber scored both goals, one an absolute screamer. What made it so memorable was that City were doing better than the Shrimps that season and really thought they would stuff us at Christie, but they didn't!!
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Ken Barlow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:16 pm

Any of you thinking of putting today in th worste catagory? :lol: :lol:
Ken Barlow

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Ken Barlow wrote:Any of you thinking of putting today in th worste catagory? :lol: :lol:

Only if you are classing it as one of your best?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ken Barlow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Keith wrote:
Ken Barlow wrote:Any of you thinking of putting today in th worste catagory? :lol: :lol:

Only if you are classing it as one of your best?

Nooope, You see, we have victories in the premiership to think of.
Ken Barlow

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm

yup, and we've Northern Premier League games to think of... kind of puts it all in to perspective don't you think? ;)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ken Barlow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Keith wrote:yup, and we've Northern Premier League games to think of... kind of puts it all in to perspective don't you think? ;)

Not really. You got to play at Valley parade... you should feel fooking honoured.
Ken Barlow

Next

Return to General Discussion