Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone

Postby Matt Donlan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Most of you will now know that the Citizen has ceased publication and I just wanted to drop a line on here to say how much I enjoyed my time reporting on the Shrimps.
In my time in this game I have covered a number of clubs from the highs of Leeds in Europe and Barnsley in the Premier League to the lows of Halifax in their bad times and Burnley when they were rubbish.
It has been great fun over the last three years or so and that has been as much down to the fans – especially the Sardines - as anyone inside the club.
I know people haven’t always agreed with me – that would take the fun away – but it is fair to say that everyone made me welcome when I crossed over the Lune so to speak and that is what makes Morecambe FC that little bit special and apart from too many other clubs.
I am not planning to leave the area so you may see me on a terrace or two in the next few weeks before, hopefully, returning to working activities early in the New Year.
So, once again, thanks – it’s been a blast.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Matt
Matt Donlan

Re: Thanks everyone

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Matt
It's been a pleasure to have read your reports and listen to your truthful assessments via the radio.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

Talent like you will soon be back with the pen (lap top :lol: ) and on the air waves.

Cheers
CC
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Howe Magic » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:52 pm

well done matt on all your efforts over the last 3 years - i for one will personally miss the citizen sports pages....decent read every week (you can now come and slum it with us in the north stand)
Howe Magic

Postby outsider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 pm

good luck in the future Matt
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm

All the best and good luck for the future.

I will miss your players ratings and especially your ratings of the Ref they were always quality :lol:
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm still spooked over how you knew it was the Poulton Prawn (or was it Bare Dolly) that won that bike in the Lancaster Guardian competition.

Good Luck
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:51 pm

good luck with the future Matt, it's been fun reading your reports and meeting you. See you in the North Stand!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:58 pm

The Citizen under Paul Wilkinson used to have a bit of something about it but then he went it went downhill badly and was dreadful for a long time.

However under you Matt the sports pages gave the Visitor and the Guardian a real run for their money. You were also the first one to put reports online at half and full-time, and very kindly put the links up on here. The sports pages were excellent for Morecambe supporters and you can be really pleased with what you achieved.

The wider paper had also improved and they made a good attempt at being controversial, despite often being, in my view, populist or poorly researched (i.e. the bypass), and that made people sit up and think.

My first real job was on a weekly free paper and I still love working with magazines and print so its a real shame to see any publication go under and people lose their jobs. I'm sure you'll come back fighting though.

Best wishes and keep in touch.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby bigreddog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Cheers Matt. It's been a real pleasure to read your honest accounts of the games as you've seen them and reassuringly frank about the standard of the odd referee. You've given credit where it was due, and while being as accurate as possible you were just partisan enough. As I've said privately the major difference is that when it comes to the game you get it. That this is not and never has been just a game, it's the hopes and dreams and fears and sometimes the realities we live with, our enduring covenant with our friends and our children. Thank you and good luck.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:01 pm

I too will miss your excellent reports on-line as I regularly checked down here. Good luck+thanks!
nobbyshrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:29 pm

cheers Matt allthough I do not allways agree with your reports in will miss reading them you could pick out some great quotes :lol:
good luck
heysham_mfc

Postby Trinity » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:02 pm

The Citizen under Paul Wilkinson used to have a bit of something about it but then he went it went downhill badly and was dreadful for a long time.

Always thought that the Lancaster & Morecambe Citizen was run by the editor, Greg Morgan and his team, Paul Wilkinson being a key member of that team. Really enjoyed reading the Citizen Smith articles and pages of letters exposing the failings and incompetence at County and Town Hall.

Then the new editor, Fleming arrived and also Donlan and it was never the same again.
Trinity

Postby Phoenix » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Then the new editor, Fleming arrived and also Donlan and it was never the same again.

Quite right, never the same again. It got thicker (more pages) and the editorial content started to rival the Visitor with excellent sports coverage.
Phoenix

Postby Trinity » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Quite right, never the same again. It got thicker (more pages) and the editorial content started to rival the Visitor

It certainly got thicker :D mainly due to the increase in the revenue collecting adverts and publication of the usual press releases and content you see in the Lancaster Guardian and Visitor. The letters pages were cut from three to half to one page and Citizen Smith was put on garden leave whilst he/she was transformed. In the 90's when I used to purchase the LG and V after reading the Citizen I wondered if it was the same area!

The powers that be at County and the Town Hall were delighted to see the transformation and no doubt delighted to see the end of what was once a top quality professional and independent publication which never stopped short of keeping the public fully informed however contoversial the articles and letters pages were.

Up to mid 2002 the Lancaster & Morecambe Citizen showed us how important a truly professional and independently run media is to a civilised society, especially when the status quo consistently fails to put the publics interest first.
Trinity

Postby Mark S » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:42 pm

You should be ashamed of yourself. This thread was a guy who has lost his job saying a thank you and you turn it into a personal attack.

Shameful.
Mark S

Postby katie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Have I missed something? Matt seems only to have got compiments and best wishes- the Citizen may have got a bit of a bashing, but I don't see any personal attack??
katie

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:34 pm

katie wrote:Have I missed something? Matt seems only to have got compiments and best wishes- the Citizen may have got a bit of a bashing, but I don't see any personal attack??

Trinity wrote:Then the new editor, Fleming arrived and also Donlan and it was never the same again.

Never a good sign when a new member (that's Trinity not you Katie) makes three posts, two not about football and is courting controversy already. As Matt's contribution to coverage has been so highly aclaimed by most, sometimes the best thing to say, is say nothing. If Trinity wishes to open a debate about the local press, fine, but do it as a new thread rather than hi-jack one where people have expressed their best wishes.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Trinity » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Edited by admin, most content removed.
keith wrote:
Never a good sign when a new member (that's Trinity not you Katie) makes three posts, two not about football and is courting controversy already. As Matt's contribution to coverage has been so highly aclaimed by most, sometimes the best thing to say, is say nothing

No keith its never a good sign when anyone or any organisation discourages and prevents anyone from having their point of view or say just because it does not go with the flow and is deemed "contoversial" by the controlling minority. Its never the best thing to say nothing when statements and facts put into the public domain are wrong and misleading.

Interesting that you didn't bother with the rest of my post. Here, let me remind you of the bit you missed...

Keith wrote:If Trinity wishes to open a debate about the local press, fine, but do it as a new thread rather than hi-jack one where people have expressed their best wishes.

I'll leave the rest of your message...

Happy new year to everyone
Trinity

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:24 pm

I used to deliver the Citizen in the Millhead area in the mid 80's whilst at school !!

240 a week delivered, paid a penny a paper. Used to effing dread certain weeks as they started putting in a property guide. Went from 20 pages a week to nearly 80 !!!! Weighed a frigging tonne and we never got paid any extra !!!!!! I remember burning them one week in an old metal dustbin my dad had in the back garden. Black ash was "whisping" all around the local houses for yonks !!! Happy Days.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:I used to deliver the Citizen in the Millhead area in the mid 80's whilst at school !!

240 a week delivered, paid a penny a paper. Used to effing dread certain weeks as they started putting in a property guide. Went from 20 pages a week to nearly 80 !!!! Weighed a frigging tonne and we never got paid any extra !!!!!! I remember burning them one week in an old metal dustbin my dad had in the back garden. Black ash was "whisping" all around the local houses for yonks !!! Happy Days.

So now we know who to blame for its demise!

:P :P :P
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:I used to deliver the Citizen in the Millhead area in the mid 80's whilst at school !!

So now we know who to blame for its demise!

:P :P :P

Why Neil ? Are you trying to tell me the penny a paper they paid me was far too much OVER the going rate ???!!!! Ar$e. It's all my fault for being over paid ....... !!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Return to General Discussion