A DAY IN BRADFORD?

A DAY IN BRADFORD?

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Where to visit in Bradford on the 28th...from a shrimps exile.

Pubs: Course it depends which way your coming in, but if via Skipton/Keighley, then on Bradford Road in Shipley there is The Branch and The Ring o' Bells. Both have Sky, about 2 miles from the ground. 1/2 a mile closer is the Park, just before Lister Park. All likely do food. Closest to Valley Parade is The Bradford Arms on Manningham Lane. Not sure what if OK for away fans. Best pub by far is the Fighting Cock on Preston Street, basic but brilliant. Fine choice of real ales. It'll be 10min walk to VP from there.

Eats: Dozens of Asian places of course, best are on Great Horton Road. Mumtaz and Anams are excellent. City Vaults in town centre does good pies and such I'm told. If you want something different the Cocina does the best Mexican food outside of Mexico (in your correspondents humble opinion...and I have tried both). This is on Manningam Lane, open for lucnh, book after 6:00. (about 2min walk to VP)

Other stuff
Anyone wanting to make a day of it...and it is possible, even in Bradford, think about
1, Media Museum...what used to be film and photography museum.
2, Saltaire, and Salts Mill. Retail opportunities and David Hockney Gallery. Good nosh too...cafebar style
3, For the literary, or the steamtrain nut, Haworth

Anyone wanting to pay respects to fellow fans killed in the Bradford fire disaster, the memorial is at the western end of Centenary Square, that is the right as you look at the Town Hall

See you at the game!
Here's hoping for 3 points
Bradford_Shrimp

Re: A DAY IN BRADFORD?

Postby USA Shrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Bradford_Shrimp wrote: If you want something different the Cocina does the best Mexican food outside of Mexico (in your correspondents humble opinion...and I have tried both). This is on Manningam Lane, open for lucnh, book after 6:00. (about 2min walk to VP)

Have you had Mexican food in New Mexico? Better than both places you mentioned above ;)

I do, however, agree with you on recommending Mumtaz. Top nosh !
USA Shrimp

Postby John L » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Bradford_Shrimp wrote:Eats: Dozens of Asian places of course..... City Vaults in town centre does good pies..... the Cocina does the best Mexican food outside of Mexico.....

All very well, thanks, but any good chippies? :roll: :lol:
John L

Postby firthy_SexGod » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 am

John L wrote:
Bradford_Shrimp wrote:Eats: Dozens of Asian places of course..... City Vaults in town centre does good pies..... the Cocina does the best Mexican food outside of Mexico.....

All very well, thanks, but any good chippies? :roll: :lol:

Yes, one right next to the Town Hall - GAWWWJUS.

Also, if you walk abit further up you'll come across the 'fish dish' and that's even better but you might have a job on finding it. They do a 'small' fish and chip butty for £1.70 and don't be put of by the word small because it's nothing of the kind, belive. 8-)
firthy_SexGod

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 am

Yes, one right next to the Town Hall - GAWWWJUS

Forgot to mention Chippies. This one in centenary Square is indeed excellent. Opposite side to Town Hall. There are one or two on Mannningham Lane, though what they're like I don't know.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby John L » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 am

Cheers, lads. The burning question is.... do they open on Sundays? ;)
John L

Postby Matt Donlan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

If anyone is planning to head back into Skipton after the game, there is a decent chippy in Shipley on the main A650.
It is next door to a pub called the Rosse as you start to leave Shipley. it is next to a large roundabout which, if you turn right, takes you back into Saltaire village.
It used to be open on Sunday nights (Skipton's will probably be closed) - and there is an off-licence a mere 100 yards from the chippy.
There is also a good pub in Saltaire village called the Victoria...many, many, many bad heads from nights in there in years gone by.
Matt Donlan

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:04 pm

There is a reasonable chance that the Chippy in Skipton...actually there are two good ones...will be open on Sunday. Tourist town etc etc. But with Christmas and all. There is the Park Lane chip shop in Bingley (turn right at the 2nd lights in Bingley) and I'm 95% certain that they are open on Sunday.

There is also a good pub in Saltaire village called the Victoria

and almost opposite is the new(ish) Fanny's Ale and Cider House, which is worth a visit if your up for real ales.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby Matt Donlan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm

I had forgotten about Fanny's...easily done. After my one night in there I couldn't even remember my name....A great recommendation. In fact, stop there en-route and there is a real danger of not making the game :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bingley chippy also meets with approval.
Matt Donlan

Postby firthy_SexGod » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm

John L wrote:Cheers, lads. The burning question is.... do they open on Sundays? ;)

I got bought one from that very chippy yesterday whilst finishing off my x-mas shopping so yes, it is.
firthy_SexGod

Postby Bare bum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:12 am

Just thought I'd raise this thread
I think we're off to Saltaire beforehand, what sort of retail opportunities might there be, ermm hmmmph, for the ladies?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby firthy_SexGod » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Bare bum wrote:Just thought I'd raise this thread
I think we're off to Saltaire beforehand, what sort of retail opportunities might there be, ermm hmmmph, for the ladies?

Depends if you've got the much needed Moula for the shops open.

TDF, Bank, River Island ect are all open.
firthy_SexGod

Postby cibasteve » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Bare bum wrote:Just thought I'd raise this thread

Posh shops, bloody expensive.
Chippy is Websters, it's good but not a patch on that one outside your ground.
2 for 1 pub on Otley Road in Shipley called Noble Comb is worth a call if you don't want fish and chips.
Never trust anyone who doesn't like football
cibasteve

Postby Father Ted » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:17 pm

St James fruit market is well worth a visit. Apparently Sammy Mac's sour grapes are to die for. Don't miss out!
Father Ted

Return to General Discussion