Postby scalehallshrimp » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:35 pm

has anyone got back from the game and wants to let us know how really went on
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Re: todays game

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:44 am

Just arrived home (6:33am)

How it really went...

We weren't very good, but neither were they. We looked like we'd come for a 0-0 so they always looked on top. The first half was memorable for... ooh, something but err... I forget now.

Second half began with us being not very good and neither were they but us playing deep made them look better and they were always on top.

Corner. Goal. Bollocks. That turgid 0-0 was out of the window. Suddenly we began to knock it about and attack. Drummie was a few inches away from getting on a great cross and we were bossing the game. Luton we chasing shadows. When the equaliser came it was from a superb strike from Danny. As the celebrations settled down I said "right, now let's not settle for a draw, let's keep pushing for the win..."

So we sat back for the draw that we originally come for and let them come at us again... obviously.

I really think we are better than that. I think we could have gone to Luton yesterday with the mentality that we could take all three points. If we'd played like we did the week before [at home], we would have won clearly. Why is it so much harder to win away from home than at home? How much is all in the head?

MotM was obviously Rene Howe because that is now traditional. Other than that, Frazer followed by Mc Stay. When did anyone last pick a midfield player as MotM?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:51 am

According to the Lu'on Tarn site, Lewis Edge came on as an outfield sub.

Surely not?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Martin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:14 am

Keith wrote:Just arrived home (6:33am)

How it really went...

We weren't very good, but neither were they. We looked like we'd come for a 0-0 so they always looked on top. The first half was memorable for... ooh, something but err... I forget now.

Second half began with us being not very good and neither were they but us playing deep made them look better and they were always on top.

Corner. Goal. Bollocks. That turgid 0-0 was out of the window. Suddenly we began to knock it about and attack. Drummie was a few inches away from getting on a great cross and we were bossing the game. Luton we chasing shadows. When the equaliser came it was from a superb strike from Danny. As the celebrations settled down I said "right, now let's not settle for a draw, let's keep pushing for the win..."

So we sat back for the draw that we originally come for and let them come at us again... obviously.

I really think we are better than that. I think we could have gone to Luton yesterday with the mentality that we could take all three points. If we'd played like we did the week before [at home], we would have won clearly. Why is it so much harder to win away from home than at home? How much is all in the head?

MotM was obviously Rene Howe because that is now traditional. Other than that, Frazer followed by Mc Stay. When did anyone last pick a midfield player as MotM?

Yep, that about sums it up perfectly. That few minutes between the two goals was some of the best attacking football we've played. If we'd just pressed for another whilst Luton were a little stunned we might have got more from the game - that was frustrating.

Have to mention a great save from Barry Roche low down to his left. He must've seen it very late. He not only stopped it, but kept hold too.
Martin

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 am

I was also there i would give the performance a 6/10. Ok that's not so bad it took us to concede before we started to look dangerous, like keith said both team were very poor at times....the result 1 - 1 i would of settled for that before the game..I still think if we had of kept on attacking we would of won but like i said overall ok performance.

ill take this moment to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and hope to see evryone on Boxing day!!!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 am

Surely the time must now have come to be a little bolder away from home. We seem to have adopted a more dynamic attacking strategy at home, so why not away?

All this safety first defensive strategy away may pick up the odd point or two but lets now gamble and go for it a bit. If it comes off who knows, maybe what appears to be a season rapidly petering out into a mid table finish could transform into an assault on the play offs. He who dares and all that.

If it all goes nasty then we now have a nice gap between us and the bottom two and we could then revert to safety first tactics.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 am

I think a few of us would go along with an 'attack is the best form of defence ' policy.

I just wish the management team would be a bit more adventurous away from home. By the sounds of it we could have won the game yesterday if we'd have gone for it.

Maybe the promised signings in the transfer window will provide us that that added bite in certain areas on the park which will encourage us to be more positive away from CP.

Overall Sammy and Mark are doing a good job with the players that are available at any one time to pick from. Just maybe, out tactics need to be a bit more positive?

Mid term report score: 7 out of 10
Last edited by Christies Child on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am

I agree with Christies Child that we may not be blessed with the best players in Division 2, but it just seems that all too often we are only galvanised into out and out attack when needs must, like yesterday. 1-0 down and a purple patch for 5 minutes till we equalise. Then it's all too often retreat into the shell tactics and try and hold onto what we have. Yes we may get beaten more often by going all out for a win, but surely we're now at that point of the season where we could gamble for a few away games and really go for it. Who knows we may get a few tonkings but currently one away win in nearly 12 months falls short of what we need.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:15 pm

interested to know if wainwright played as well as last week
scalhall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:32 pm

scalehallshrimp wrote:interested to know if wainwright played as well as last week
scalhall shrimp

Personally i felt he was just an average player in this game!!! but cannot compare as missed his last game!
thegentlegiant

Postby St Albans Shrimp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:16 pm

I felt Wainwright played well putting in several good crosses which sadly no-one got on the end of.
At the back we looked solid when they went airborne but when they choose to play to feet we got ourselves in a muddle.Roche played well especially with the first half save.
One disappointment to me was the lack of adventure down the right - in the first half Yates had plenty of space but either crossed far too early or delivered a dreadful cross.We still had two very good chances in the first half including one off the line.
Agree with other comments as once we went behind we then attacked with real purpose.Once we equalized it seemed we sat back again.
St Albans Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 am

Interestingly a Luton fan has posted on the Football Forum that he thought we looked excellent in the period between going a goal down and getting the equaliser. But after that we reverted back to negative tactics.
Christies Child

Postby Martin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Christies Child wrote:Interestingly a Luton fan has posted on the Football Forum that he thought we looked excellent in the period between going a goal down and getting the equaliser. But after that we reverted back to negative tactics.

Exactly right. We ran them totally ragged, creating two or three really good chances until we equalised.

Then it was straight back to Plan A!
Martin

Postby scalehallshrimp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 pm

we are perfectly capable of attacking so why not from the off instead of when we fall behind
really irritating and negative
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Return to General Discussion