Whether or not we won

Whether or not we won

Postby Ned » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:21 pm

First of all an excellent second half performance and according to some supporters a direct result of the weather in that the glue pot pitch nullified the pace players of Darlington, it made contol of the first ball easier and allowed us the luxury of playing the game at our pace. Under normal conditions our players are not able to control the ball as well and suffer against pace.

Interesting also to hear the differing opinions regarding the performances of Wainwright and Howe. Some posters on here are enthusing about Wainwright's performance whilst many in my earshot were very critical. He was accused of never getting past his fullback and then towards the end of the match he played two insane and unecessary back passes to the keeper that put us in all sorts of trouble.
There was just as much criticism targeted at Howe with one supporter angrily pointing out just prior to Howe scoring that his shorts were still clean and this was reflective of his lack of effort. As soon as he scored the guy stated that Howe would get the mom which was unfair as he believed the result was more influenced by the performances of Drummond and McStay.
Ned

Re: Weather or not we won

Postby Mr Munnings » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Howe's shorts not getting dirty.........
I think that fan must be an eggchaser
They used to scream at Martin Offiah on the popular side at Central Park that he wouldnt get his white shorts dirty
Mr Munnings

Postby Jody » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Shows how much of the game he watched in the first half then, because I think Rene changed his shorts at half time.
Jody

Postby marky » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:44 pm

What a wonderful way to respond to people who thought you wouldn't post until we lost again :lol:
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Mark S » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Simply Ned wrote:First of all an excellent second half performance and according to some supporters a direct result of the weather in that the glue pot pitch nullified the pace players of Darlington, it made contol of the first ball easier and allowed us the luxury of playing the game at our pace. Under normal conditions our players are not able to control the ball as well and suffer against pace.

Interesting also to hear the differing opinions regarding the performances of Wainwright and Howe. Some posters on here are enthusing about Wainwright's performance whilst many in my earshot were very critical. He was accused of never getting past his fullback and then towards the end of the match he played two insane and unecessary back passes to the keeper that put us in all sorts of trouble.
There was just as much criticism targeted at Howe with one supporter angrily pointing out just prior to Howe scoring that his shorts were still clean and this was reflective of his lack of effort. As soon as he scored the guy stated that Howe would get the mom which was unfair as he believed the result was more influenced by the performances of Drummond and McStay.

The phrase 'Every silver lining has a cloud' springs to mind after reading that first paragraph! :lol:

As for the MOM award, I think we all get a bit too hung up about this. It is the Sponsors' man of the match award, its not official, and if they pay their money they can choose Christie The Cat as far as I am concerned. I reckon its more about who they want to meet and have a photo taken with. If I was the sponsor I would have to pick either Michael Twiss, Jim Bentley or Danny Carlton just to keep my son happy. Whether they had a good game or not.
Mark S

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:35 am

It's pretty much a given now that if Rene scores then he'll get MOM from the sponsors! I think other players have put in performances that have deserved it more on the day but if the sponsors want their picture taken with the goalscorer then so be it. For me McStay or Stanley would have been more deserved on Saturday but thats my opinion.

As for Martin Offiah, how dare you mention the legends name in the same vain as Rene Howe! he stayed dirt free because he was soo fast that no one could catch him ;) sure he couldn't tackle to save his life but until Rene has bagged 30 goals in a season he can never be mentioned in the same sentence :evil:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Simply Ned wrote:First of all an excellent second half performance and according to some supporters a direct result of the weather in that the glue pot pitch nullified the pace players of Darlington, it made contol of the first ball easier and allowed us the luxury of playing the game at our pace. Under normal conditions our players are not able to control the ball as well and suffer against pace.

A quite brilliant exercise in 'cup half empty-ism' there from our friend.

Of course another interpretation (if you really had the better interests of OUR club at heart) would be that we have a side who may not be the most pacy in the division but who usually have the commitment and team ethic to grind out results, even against better sides, in tough conditions.

A Darlo fan with Ned's mentality might say something like 'it's okay showing all this fancy stuff on billiard table surfaces but how often do we get those in this division? We need players who can perform on any surface and Morecambe were much better than us when things got tricky on Saturday!"

He might also have said: "why did we let Wainwright go? he caused us all sorts of problems in both halves down the left and kept two of our defenders occupied throughout, which made room for that Drummond and Stanley to get at our centre-backs."
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby bigreddog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Maybe it's just the time of year getting the better of me, but I felt proud to be a Morecambe supporter on saturday. I thought we made an excellent side look average. That was down to a huge work ethic, a togetherness and determination in less than ideal conditions and a bit of skill too. I too though Rene had strayed off for the goal, I'm delighted that I was wrong. I have to say that some of the cross field passing to open them up, especially in the second half was absolutely top draw. With respect to two players I'd just like to mention them in dispatches: Neil Wainwright, playing on his non-prefered side, worked his socks off. And Henry McStay, especially in the first half with some telling clearances, was magnificent. Oh and by the way, WE KEPT A CLEAN SHEET!!!!! wheather your cup is half full or half empty, at least it has to be a Morecambe cup (Now available in the club shop by the way)
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby seasonsinthesun » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Totally agree shrimper. Far better to be positive, after all we did actually win the match, it sounds like Naughty Ned or whatever he's called is arguing that Darlington lost it rather than we won it.
As for Wainwright, wish he could play like that when he's not against a former club.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Have I missed some announcement that the mods have changed Negative to Simply? Any reason we're replying as if it's Robert / Negative Ned?
Phoenix

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:37 pm

look at Simply Neds previous posts Pheonix.....they are negetive neds old posts, he must have changed his name.

http://www.ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1918
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:47 pm

The Mods must be looking down favourably on Ned as the name-change feature is disabled. Or they've changed it without him knowing :lol:
Phoenix

Re: Whether or not we won

Postby shrimper » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:10 pm

I note the 'weather' in the original title has been changed to 'whether' - I thought it was a clever play on words, seeing he was on about the rain-affected pitch.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby durhamshrimp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Still he posts and still we keep on biting.
durhamshrimp

Postby Ned » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Phoenix wrote:Thanks :oops:

The Mods must be looking down favourably on Ned as the name-change feature is disabled. Or they've changed it without him knowing :lol:

Special dispensation for a V.I.P member
Ned

Postby james456 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Regardless of whether Rene tries hard enough or not, he scores goals so he's obviously doing something right.
james456

Postby Mr Munnings » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:52 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:It's pretty much a given now that if Rene scores then he'll get MOM from the sponsors! I think other players have put in performances that have deserved it more on the day but if the sponsors want their picture taken with the goalscorer then so be it. For me McStay or Stanley would have been more deserved on Saturday but thats my opinion.

As for Martin Offiah, how dare you mention the legends name in the same vain as Rene Howe! he stayed dirt free because he was soo fast that no one could catch him ;) sure he couldn't tackle to save his life but until Rene has bagged 30 goals in a season he can never be mentioned in the same sentence :evil:

Yes he was a great player was chariots mind you so was phil vievers
never got his shorts dirty though
Mr Munnings

Postby Mark S » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:16 pm

shrimper wrote:I note the 'weather' in the original title has been changed to 'whether' - I thought it was a clever play on words, seeing he was on about the rain-affected pitch.

I thought it was a clever word play also. Did Ned change it or a 'helpful' Mod?

Anyone can change their name if they wish by request. Only once mind.
Mark S

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm

It's 'cause Mark S is nice, PM him. I'm a bone idle git who advises people to just re-register! :roll: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Or you could just nip into the admin panel and tick the option :roll:
Phoenix

Postby Mark S » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Phoenix wrote:Or you could just nip into the admin panel and tick the option :roll:

And then we would have half of the 'less mature' members changing names more often than their socks.
Mark S

Postby marky » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 pm

On one of my forums, we have a one change per 3 months rule :P
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Return to General Discussion